Author Topic: Disc Brake Upgrade  (Read 9047 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
on: August 13, 2007, 06:55:07 pm
Got home from the Post Office today, and the Disc Brake kit was sitting on the doorstep.  I opened it up, drooled some, then read the instructions.  I am going to get the bike on the stand today, and see how the instructions line up with the bike, and then maybe fit the thing myself..  If it looks too complex, I will be asking a lot of questions... :)

Thank you, Kevin..  It looks great in bits in the box.  :) :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:08:45 am
 Let us know how it works out for you. Sometimes when I'm dicing down the hills here in PA I think the disc may be a useful upgrade.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:32:06 am
It looks a little daunting yet - the instruction manual suggests dismantling the front end..  I am leery of doing that, being somewhat of a clutz.   I will put all the bits together, and see if it will go on without taking every thing apart.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

gapl53

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:01:40 pm
Instructions! A real man throws those out with the packing material.
It's always embarrass me when my wife asks why I'm going through yesterday's garbage.

I went from the Classic to the Electra mainly for the disk brake. The improvement in stopping power is tremendous. It is a really good unit that they fit to the Electra. Oh! If you want to improve the handling and ride, try the gas assisted shocks also. Big improvement!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:05:52 pm
The most difficult part of the job is to "machine" (or cut off with a hacksaw in my language) the aluminum tab on the left fork leg. This is the tab that slips into a slot on the drum brake mechanism and keeps it from rotating. In theory you don't have to do anything more than remove the front wheel if you can hold the fork leg properly while "machining" the tab off. After that if you deviate from the instructions and disconnect one end or the other of the hydraulic hose between the disc unit and the master cylinder you can then route the hose without disassembling the rest of the front end. the only downside to this is that you will then have to bleed the brakes, a simple and quick job.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:21:34 pm
That makes me feel better - I hate taking things apart too much.  I will be setting round it at the weekend, I will keep you all informed.. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:23:14 pm
Cut it off with a hacksaw is right!  That's how an acqaintance of mine did it, and he made a very good job of it.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:46:06 pm
I was going to use a grinder, but a hacksaw sounds less damaging.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

gapl53

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 04:14:26 pm
If your going to do it with the fork still on the bike it will probably help to reinsert the axle. If you tighten it slightly it will help to keep the fork leg you are operating on from rotating. Also support the bottom of the fork leg to stabilize the fork from turning at the headstock, and so you don't need to fight the bike to apply the downward pressure to cut. Slow and easy are the key words.

Happy Cutting!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 05:58:39 pm
Thank you, I would not have thought of that.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 07:20:24 pm
If the lower end of the fork will spin, & not hurt anything, why not spin it so the tab is on the outside & cut & file it, then spin it back around?
I would sure rather bleed brakes than disassemble forks & triple trees.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 08:04:49 pm
I too would far rather bleed the brakes, than dismantle the whole shebang.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

gapl53

Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 04:29:15 pm
If the lower end of the fork will spin, & not hurt anything, why not spin it so the tab is on the outside & cut & file it, then spin it back around?
I would sure rather bleed brakes than disassemble forks & triple trees.
Good idea, I didn't think of that. Justin you're on the ball!
But then you will need to disconnect the fender braces to spin the lower leg.
What ever way you find easier I guess.
You will still need to replace the axle while sawing to stabilize the lower leg against the forces of the saw. Also if you just try and use the fender mounting for support I don't think it will be enough and you might end up twisting the supports, if not the fender it's self.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 08:37:06 pm
 ;D

FiferWD

• Scooter
  • Happiness is a warm Bullet
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 07:31:58 pm
After that if you deviate from the instructions and disconnect one end or the other of the hydraulic hose between the disc unit and the master cylinder you can then route the hose without disassembling the rest of the front end. the only downside to this is that you will then have to bleed the brakes, a simple and quick job.

This has been a really good thread!

One thing I don't grasp, not having seen the kit up close.  Why does the fork have to be disassembled to route the brake line?  Is the line routed inside the fork?  Please forgive the ignorance here.  I'm contemplating making this conversion also.
Yrs,
Bill