Author Topic: What's happening with RE North America dealers?  (Read 14729 times)

Colbrt

• Scooter
on: April 26, 2016, 08:59:46 pm
I was sad to see my favorite dealer, Steve Seltzer Motorsports in Altoona, PA no longer listing themselves as an RE dealer, but when I went to the web site to find where the nearest one is now, I'm not seeing any listed in Pennsylvania or ANY neighboring state. Uh... this is a fairly densely populated area. I was hoping to get a Continental GT in June, but... not sure I want to travel to Connecticut to buy something I can't even get warranty service done on without a 6 hour drive. I keep reading in the mags how RE is expanding and has these grand plans. How is this progress, and what is happening to all the dealers?   -Jim
2002 ZR7s
2002 CB250
1975 CB400f
1974 XL250
2007 Mustang GT convertible
Past: 1978 SR500, 1982 R65, 1976 CB400f, 1974 XL 250 (different one), 1979 CM400t, 1973 CL 350, Hodaka Wombat, Puch Moped

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:17:35 pm
I was having some questions about that too, here in MD.  Are you in Philly area?  There's supposed to be a new dealer opening in Philly.  RENA told me that they are just waiting on State approval for the current shop, which was the old dealer in my area.  They do have a black GT in stock if it's not too far from you.  PM me for the address.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:33 pm
The solution is to move to Texas. 4 dealers in the lone star state!
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:56 pm
Sorry to hear about your RE dealer Colbert.
 It  currently seems to be a common theme .

I have read some third hand negative comments from ex- RE dealers about RENA. Seems they are dropping most Mom& Pop RE dealers in lux of motorcycle  super stores located in major cities( and few locations as of now).  I guess you can imagine the new business model. ( I loath going into H-D shops because of this kind hype. )

Don't even get me started on RENAs silly web page.

It would appear from my arm chair that RENA is a lot of talk and no go. We will see if they can" pull a rabbit out the hat."

I certainly miss the days when Classic Motor Works was the RE distributor. It was a good grass roots way of doing business and I give them 5 stars.

I would recommend a nice used RE motorcycle ( if you can find one) , this forum for tech support ( and fun) and our host at Classic Motor Works for parts.
Cheers!
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:30:01 pm
While I agree that adding more, bigger, glitzier dealerships is a good thing for RENA, eliminating the smaller dealerships in the small towns is, in my opinion, a big mistake.

Having many "big & fancy" and small "mom & pop" dealerships to provide sales and service in as many cities and towns as possible can be a big selling point to potential costumers as well as existing owners.

Having only a few "elite", fancy dealerships without the present small dealerships works against them because there are too many well known brands with better customer support around.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:32:20 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:32:02 am
It's not even been a whole quarter yet, give it time.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Colbrt

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:44:43 pm
I did get a chuckle out there being 4 dealers listed in Texas. Yeah, y'all have a longer riding season but we do have a pretty big population base here in the northeast.  :)  I hadn't really been following what was happening as far as distributorships and didn't realize that had changed fairly recently... just knew there were now no longer any dealerships in PA, nor any state that touched us.
2002 ZR7s
2002 CB250
1975 CB400f
1974 XL250
2007 Mustang GT convertible
Past: 1978 SR500, 1982 R65, 1976 CB400f, 1974 XL 250 (different one), 1979 CM400t, 1973 CL 350, Hodaka Wombat, Puch Moped

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:14 pm
And the last time I checked there was only one dealer left in California, the largest motorcycle market in the U.S. And that dealer is about 500 miles away from me.   :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:08:05 pm
I dropped in on Heindl Engineering in Eaton, Ohio last week while visiting family near there.  They have a great Ural following and I bought my 2015 Royal Enfield C5 from them a year ago after driving 450 miles to fo so.   They are still negotiating with RENA AND still want to be a RE dealer.   I hope RENA sorts this out soon as they a great family run  dealership.   Small family owned or not, that customers will drive that distance to buy from them says a lot about their business ethic.
Miles

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 07:46:19 pm
Walked into Cycles of Silve Spring in the DC area to find that they have a bunch of new Royal Enfields on the floor!  Mid Atlantic has a dealer!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 09:10:17 pm
Walked into Cycles of Silve Spring in the DC area to find that they have a bunch of new Royal Enfields on the floor!  Mid Atlantic has a dealer!

Good to hear that new bikes are coming in.

Just this weekend, I had met a local guy in NJ who told me that Royal Enfield bikes are no longer coming to USA ! He had earlier seen an old RE dealer, who is no longer the dealer and there is no other dealer in the state. 

RENA does not list Cycles of Silver Spring, Maryland on their website :'(. There is no one listed in the whole state of Maryland. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 10:14:00 pm
RENA is a little slow to list them, I think.

The dealer in Seattle didn't get listed for a couple of months... at least since I knew about it.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 10:22:31 pm
Ya, I figured the website will be slow as it has always been.  The main RE site still has '14 events posted, last time I looked at it anyway.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 02:11:34 pm
On one of these threads there was a question as to whether a dealer needed a state license to become a Royal Enfield dealer. 

I just learned that the  new Seattle Royal Enfield can't put up any signs or advertise yet because the there is some problem with the old Seattle Royal Enfield letting go of the name, without which they can't be issued the new Washington state license. 

I was assured that it is just a matter of time before it is resolved and that in the mean time they can keep inventory and sell Royal Enfields all they want, just can't have a sign or advertise yet. 

I was also told that one thing RENA is doing right now is establishing a system for spare parts to satisfy the demands of doing business in America.  We tend to want everything, and want it now.  That was interesting, because I would really like a strong parts source, with instant availability, (like CMW has)!

BTW, I can't speak highly enough of their integrity at Seattle Royal Enfield / Triumph.  They just gave me a new dual header pipe system for my T-100 and a 500 mile service free, since my headers were already discolored by the air injection (which I wanted removed before starting my new engine) at the time of purchase. That was about a $1,500.00 value after tax. 

They say they do business like a small mom and pop dealer and treat everyone the best they can.  They got me my bike for a lower price than anyone else around here could, and have treated me better than anyone i've ever done business with.  When the new parallel twin does come out, I know where I'll buy mine.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 11:27:09 pm
   Nice to hear you have a good dealer...someone who truly cares about the customer, not just the almighty $$$.
    ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.