Author Topic: 500 cc Carburetor to EFI conversion  (Read 3424 times)

ssg

• Bulleteer
on: April 23, 2016, 04:19:24 am
I read and watched a number of articles and videos on 500 cc EFI to carburettor conversions but didn't get any on carburettor to EFI conversion. Is it possible?
Thanks.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 05:12:53 am
 I don't see why it wouldn't be.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 04:13:43 pm
I'd be still riding my R75/5 BMW if I could have easily converted from carb to EFI.  Carburetors in the mountains kind of sucked. 

A articles I read on about that conversion said that it's easier to go from EFI to carb, but just one guys opinion not substantiated by any data.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 04:33:29 pm
     EFI systems require all kind of sensors. Included are throttle and crank position, intake and/or exhaust temperatures, and mixture composition. It must be constantly pressurized, necessitating an immersion type fuel pump in the tank. Additionally, it must be integrated with the electronic ignition.
     EFI systems work by correlating all the sensor input, then opening the injector for the amount of time necessary to input the correct amount of fuel for the immediate set of readings. Move the throttle 1/100th of an inch, or if the air intake temperature or speed changes at all, and these readings change. The the injector is then held open a nano second more or less than it was a second ago.
     It could be engineered to retrofit, but it would be LOTS cheaper to go buy a couple of other bikes.
     FWIW: The issues I see with carbs are usually customer induced. Problems run from neglect leading to corrosion, to mis-adjustment based upon faulty knowledge or ability. Certainly they don't work real well at high altitude, but if you live there carbs can be set up to run fine at 10,000 feet. If you are just passing through, well pass on through and live with reduced power for however long it takes to cross the pass you are in. Carbureted Enfields regularly cross the Himalaya's at 18,000 feet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:42:11 pm by Vince »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:40:05 am
 Assuming that since the post is posted in the UCE section and since India has carbed UCE's....putting a UCE kit of EFI bits on a carbed UCE should be easier than any other.

Walbro makes an external EFI compatible fuel pump as seen on GHG's cafe racer.

There are probably other possibilities waiting to be discovered. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 02:56:59 am
I read and watched a number of articles and videos on 500 cc EFI to carburettor conversions but didn't get any on carburettor to EFI conversion. Is it possible?
Thanks.

Where did you find these articles and videos? I am looking to do an EFI to carb conversion.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:32:30 am
Hitchcocks sell a kit; it's quite pricey though.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...