Author Topic: 2012 C5 centerstand issue  (Read 2230 times)

PerazziMx14

• Scooter
on: April 10, 2016, 04:27:47 pm
When I put the C5 on its center stand it doesn't "lock" into place and the bike can easily be nudged forward causing it to come off the center stand. I don't remember this being an issue when I 1st go the bike and remember it setting firmly in place. Any thoughts?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:45:09 pm
You might spend some time using a good flashlight (torch for the Brits) examining all of the areas of the centerstand.

A few of them have developed cracks, some rather serious.

If the shaft the stand pivots on has moved or bent that could cause the problem you describe.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

PerazziMx14

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:02:10 am
You might spend some time using a good flashlight (torch for the Brits) examining all of the areas of the centerstand.

A few of them have developed cracks, some rather serious.

If the shaft the stand pivots on has moved or bent that could cause the problem you describe.

Turned out to be the deployment tab (the piece you step on) was bent downward and not allowing the center stand to deploy the whole way. A ratchet strap and a rubber mallet to persuade it back in to position and all is well.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:53:47 pm
Turned out to be the deployment tab (the piece you step on) was bent downward and not allowing the center stand to deploy the whole way. A ratchet strap and a rubber mallet to persuade it back in to position and all is well.

If this keeps happening again, just keep an eye on the weld of step-on side tab to the center stand. The weld can break off completely due to multiple reasons. First it is only a hair-line crack at the weld which is almost invisible unless you pull on it. Gradually the crack becomes bigger and the side tab falls off eventually.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:03:44 pm
I had a similar issue with my 2012 C5, the shorter shocks that I had installed made for more lifting effort to put it on the center stand. So during the lifting & stepping on the stand pedal, the round bar bent to the point that it interfered with the two stand pads reaching the ground, (it was really unstable)fortunately, I was able to bend the round bar back close to its' original position without any breaks or cracking in the unit. Now I tend to use the side stand when possible & am cautious when I have to use the center stand.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.