Author Topic: Right hand shift conversion  (Read 10730 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
on: July 15, 2007, 10:35:14 pm
There are three ways to move the shift back to the right hand side.
the kits to do same are here: http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/righthand-shift-conversion-kits-5speed-p-435.html
All three kits are fairly easy to install and can be done by the amateur mechanic. The also include everything you need to move the brake over to the left side. The 5-speed transmissions (since 2004) shift very nicely either left hand or right hand shift. The four speeds can be "balky" when in the left shift configuration. The basic 4-speed transmission is strong as an Ox, but under the best of circumstances shifts slowly and deliberate. When the shifter was moved from the right to the left for the North American market it lost something in the translation.  At the very best the linkage is loose feeling. There is a kit which helps this a great deal here: http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/bushing-improve-your-shift-p-283.html It is quite inexpensive and fairly easy to install. It helps a great deal. 85% of the shifting problems with the 4 speed are related to improper clutch adjustment. The 5-speed shifts well in any configuration and becomes a matter of personal choice.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

deejay

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 11:28:25 pm
kevin how does that 5-speed right shift conversion work? is it a linkage like the old 4-speeds? I wasn't aware that the 5-speed could be converted to rs shift.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:22:37 pm
The 5-Speed  was designed to shift on both sides. They were designed in the UK and initially manufacturered in Jaipur where Royal Enfield had a factory. I saw my first one as a prototype in 1999 and it shifted on the right. In fact if you look at one you will see the boss where the hole would go for a RH shifting bike. The kits basically consist on a new shift shaft that comes through a hole machined into the outer  case. There is no  linkage on the 5-Speed transmission, either left or right hand shift.
Regards,
Kevin
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Corki

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:59:37 pm
Is there a chance the 5-speed can replace the 4-speed transmission on a 2003 Bullet?
The Price of Freedom is written on the WALL
1993 BMW K1100LT
2003 RE Bullet

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:15:32 am
well, I'll stay with the left side shifter, since my lower right leg is artificial.. Don't have a whole lot of bend to the ankle ;) :D ;D

now maybe if I had a heel and toe shifter..    ::)  naa.. been a lefty for over 45 years :P

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:38:06 am
I started as a right changer, everything else changed to the left, so I was both for a few years, now I am a lefty..  I still occasionally hit the brake when accelerating. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 02:50:53 am
What I like about the right shift is that now we are talking English bike. I think it's cool that they offer it in the original pattern of 1st being up and the rest down like the old RE's, or the 1st down and the rest up for those who rode Triumphs. I am leaning towards the more expensive but traditional pattern like on my '67 RE Interceptor. If I am going to have 2 RE's they might as well shift the same. Winter project, I can see it coming now. One question I do have is if there is some kind of push on cover for the shifter shaft coming out of the primary cover, or do you remove it completely and plug the hole.  Royal Enfield 1, could you clear this up for me please.     Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.