Author Topic: Electra X Performance Kit  (Read 8130 times)

swampmariner

• Scooter
on: August 13, 2007, 05:46:23 pm
   Is it possible to apply the 535 Big Bore Kit to the Electra???

Luis

swampmariner

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:07:36 pm
So I have to answer this one myself, after I saw Kevins's post about the 570 Project.
Luis

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:39:49 am
You will have to wait for the big-bore kit and cams like the rest of us, but the external kit (carb and exhaust) from CMW is a cheap way to add a few ponies.

When the 570 kit and cams do come out, I'm not sure I'll bother. By bike runs about the way I want it to now.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:04:39 am
I am not sure I would want to upgrade to a 570cc either.  The bike is a thumper, designed to go slow, I would not want to change that.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:32:29 pm
I am not sure I would want to upgrade to a 570cc either.  The bike is a thumper, designed to go slow, I would not want to change that.

Well, maybe yours is designed to go slow...

That scraping noise I heard on the right side this morning was wholly intentional!

;D

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:19:27 pm
Too much horsepower is like too much sex.  There just ain't no such thing.... ;D  I think the 570 kit is a great idea, and will likely prompt me to buy an Electra over a Classic, should I get another RE.  Then again, I might just wait for the EFI model.  Anybody got a used Electra for sale cheap?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:14:31 pm
My personal opinion is that the 570 is going to prove to be more cc's than is practical or reliable. Once the young guys here come around to my way of thinking when they are walking home after destroying the bike we will most likely start on a something more practical like a 535. On the other hand I suppose the possibility exists that they are right and I am old
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:12:05 am
I hope they are successful with the 570cc piston. It will bring more RE buyers to the dealships. I don't think it would be too much hp. Because of the long-stroke design, it may only add about 4 horse or so. I too was hoping for a more modest 535cc kit, but if it works, good. Makes you wonder what a 570 could do if mated with cams.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:39:31 am
With the stronger bottom end of the electra & IF the guys are cool enough to not just drop the hammer off the line & use the additional ponies to push faster down the road & not just accelerate like a demon, it may stay together. I would be more inclined to go with the 535 tho. I am seeing tranny issues already, & that thing has to harness whatever ponies are running out of the jug.

gapl53

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 04:01:27 pm
My personal opinion is that the 570 is going to prove to be more cc's than is practical or reliable. Once the young guys here come around to my way of thinking when they are walking home after destroying the bike we will most likely start on a something more practical like a 535. On the other hand I suppose the possibility exists that they are right and I am old
I need to agree with Kevin.
I would first be worried about the extra heat being produced in connection with the reduced cylinder wall thickness. Going to run mighty hot under exertion.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 04:29:20 pm
My biggest worry is heat. The tranny is plenty strong enough for more HP ( I know this from factory testing). time will tell. Vibration is also a concern.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gapl53

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 04:51:48 pm
My biggest worry is heat. The tranny is plenty strong enough for more HP ( I know this from factory testing). time will tell. Vibration is also a concern.

Vibration, didn't think of that, good point. A lot more mass that you need to start,stop, and reverse direction. Are the connecting rods and pistons strong enough to handle the extra forces? If you start to get a twist in the con-rod along with the extra heat produced it will seize for sure. Have your engineers ever figured out the maximum safe piston speed for the stock unit.
At least you will have a starting point in figuring out how much of a fuse your grenade has.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 05:06:41 pm
The best way for me to improve performance on my Electra X would be for me to shed 20 pounds!  :P

gapl53

Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 05:18:45 pm
The best way for me to improve performance on my Electra X would be for me to shed 20 pounds!  :P
Your not alone in that boat Thumper!
Remember when you were at racing weight, those were the days.
To think that I now weight more than my first to race bikes!