Author Topic: Broke my headlight AGAIN!  (Read 1855 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: March 31, 2019, 12:46:10 pm
Yesterday was 72 degrees F and I had been working 15 hour days for the past week and really needed a day off. So I went for an awesome ride through state parks and went to a really good bakery for some treats and a cappuccino. ON my way back I stopped just after a one lane underpass, to pick up a bottle someone had left in the middle of the road. I parked my bike on the center stand and went to get the bottle......and then I heard the crunch as my bike fell over onto the guardrail. DOH! Dinged my outer ring and broke the glass and scratched my flyscreen a bit. Anyone got a spare outer ring or headlight they want to sell cheap? After my run-in with that deer at 1100 miles I made it just past 2200 for the next minor incident. Side stand next time.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 01:02:26 pm
The various indian ebay stores sell chrome  headlight rims really cheap.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 01:47:37 pm
Thanks, forgot to mention that I DO have the 7" headlight with the Hitchcocks flyscreen.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:55:46 pm
Sorry for your misfortune 9fingers. A friend of mine used to say "No good deed shall go unpunished", Ha ha! You did do the right thing though, good job getting that bottle out of the road. Could've saved a life.   :)

I recently hit a terrifying sinkhole ridge on a country road. Felt like it would rip my tire right off the rim, and throw me into the river. I got some fluorescent orange road marking paint at a local hardware store, then went back and painted it! Later I contacted the dept. of public works. Hopefully, they will do something.

I had problems with the ground being mushy under kickstand too, but was able to slide an old centerline reflector over, (that the Motorcycle Gods had obviously left there just for me) and got it under my kickstand!
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 07:15:49 pm
I hammered the outer ring into usable condition and installed a Sylvania Halogen bulb I had in stock, and it works fine and I can wait for new stuff from India. About that little bulb that lurks in the bottom of the Minda light....what is that for? I took the bulb out and just pushed the holder behind the main headlight bulb.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 10:08:39 pm
in the uk you must have a 'sidelight'
although the tiger eyes will do the job, on my B5 with Avon style fairing, they are not in use so headlight side/pilot light keeps the bike road legal.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 12:20:08 am
In Australia those were regarded as a parking light and back in the day (pre-60s) anyone parking beside a public road at night that had them fitted was meant to leave them turned on. Needless to say no-one did as it guaranteed a flat battery, eventually the law changed.