Author Topic: The new Stage 2 kit.....  (Read 11119 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 02:47:38 pm
My bike has enough power for me stock. I have ridden it hundreds of miles on the freeway at 60 mph with no problems. I think it may be unwise to put a larger top end (or anything else that increases power output) on a stock bottom end. A long time ago, I used to be into 50cc 2 stroke mopeds. They would go 30 mph stock. I, and a lot of others would put on an 80cc top end, larger carb, higher compression, expansion chamber exhaust, do some porting and polishing and a few other things, and almost double the top speed. It cost several hundred $$$ to make these modifications. The lifespan of an engine modified this way was around 500 miles, before the bottom end scattered itself all over the road. It was not designed for that kind of power. More recently I've noticed that many 2 stroke scooter owners are getting into this same thing. And blowing up their engines. Many of them have blown up and rebuilt their engines several times. That gets expensive real fast.

Now, if they would come up with a carb conversion kit and a properly fitting non cat exhaust for that price, I would buy it. It would not need to include the header (though an iron barrel style header would be really nice) a slip on muffler would be fine. I know Hitchcocks has the carb kit, but it would be nice to see one from CMW, maybe with a Mikuni or Kehin carb.

I did the same thing with my 2004 Aprilia RS50 and this is what happened.   :o  But it was fun while it lasted.   ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Otto_Ing

Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 06:09:52 pm
I did the same thing with my 2004 Aprilia RS50 and this is what happened.   :o  But it was fun while it lasted.   ;D

Been there too... ;)
...but this looks like a seized piston?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:13 pm
Been there too... ;)
...but this looks like a seized piston?

I do believe that some part or other came to a sudden stop and the rest of the mechanism just couldn't keep up.   ::)  After that little incident, I sold the bike to a fellow who removed the remains of the motor and installed a Zero electric drive system and batteries.  He ran the bike at a race at Laguna Seca a couple of years ago. It was nice to see the chassis back in use again.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1