Author Topic: Who's getting a Himalayn if/when they get here ?  (Read 13328 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
on: March 23, 2016, 05:57:55 am
 Me !  I've lusted for one since the first rumor surfaced and that desire has only intensified since. Three of my friends are in the same boat.

Who else want one and what makes you want it ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:06:29 am
Me also. I like single trail bikes, judging by the promo videos etc the bike will do everything I need. It will be easily manageable off road, and it's designed for luggage. It also has a good tank range and designed capacity for carrying more.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:00:01 pm
I also heard that Seattle Triumph would love to sell the Himalayan RE.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 05:58:12 am
 If they get them, they will sell.

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 03:04:51 pm
Man, I just keep waiting for the twin that will likely never show, but I'd hate to settle  'cause of impatience.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:57:19 pm
I like the idea of it. Most of the single ADV bikes are 650+ and pigs off road. Then there's the 250 but they end up lacking on road trips to the trail head but rock off road. And NO ONE seems to make a 400-450 anymore. You can see this as that size had all the problems of weight of the 650 and lack of road speed of a 250 OR you can see it as we were TOLD that they didn't sell.

After riding a 450 street legal bike I'd buy one rather than another 650. Yes it's heavier that a 250 but not that much and power? Smoked any 250 I ever rode but was tractable. 

So if I'm still around when the Himalayan makes over, if it does I'd look hard at it.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:45:11 pm
I like the idea of it. Most of the single ADV bikes are 650+ and pigs off road. Then there's the 250 but they end up lacking on road trips to the trail head but rock off road. And NO ONE seems to make a 400-450 anymore. You can see this as that size had all the problems of weight of the 650 and lack of road speed of a 250 OR you can see it as we were TOLD that they didn't sell.

After riding a 450 street legal bike I'd buy one rather than another 650. Yes it's heavier that a 250 but not that much and power? Smoked any 250 I ever rode but was tractable. 

So if I'm still around when the Himalayan makes over, if it does I'd look hard at it.
You can get one of these Betamotors new using the old DR350 motor which is well proven but they're £5000 by the time they're on the road in th U.K.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 09:47:32 pm
You can get one of these Betamotors new using the old DR350 motor which is well proven but they're £5000 by the time they're on the road in th U.K.

The key is "in the UK" not USA.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 10:17:51 pm
I am in.   Light weight compared to traditional ADV bikes and small enough for southeastern U.S. Forests.  Hope it remains a carbie though. 
Miles

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 02:25:10 am
Man, I just keep waiting for the twin that will likely never show, but I'd hate to settle  'cause of impatience.

Looks like a Himalayan engine only with twice as many cylinders dunnit ?
 :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 01:44:19 pm
Even looks like it fits in a GT.
 ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 04:48:10 pm
I would like Royal Enfield to reincarnate the Interceptor with a nice paralel twin, but until they build it, I can't buy it.

In the mean time, I have settled for a new  2015 T-100 to hold me over.  I will trade it in on a new Interceptor as soon as they become available.

Interestingly, this has made me love my C5 even more than I did before.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 05:19:46 pm

Looks like a Himalayan engine only with twice as many cylinders dunnit ?
 :)

I hope the production motor looks better than that prototype. That thing is hideous!

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 05:41:32 pm
I share your hope.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 11:37:34 pm
I don't think that engine is hideous but it does have a Japanese look to it.

I would much prefer to see the cylinders standing up tall and proud in a vertical direction like a Triumph Bonnie or a old BSA.
I think even Norton lost a bit of pride when they tipped their cylinders forward on the old Commando's.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 11:57:40 pm
Even looks like it fits in a GT.
 ;D

Wouldn't that be something if we could remove and replace the single 535 with a big twin?!!! We would just buy an fresh engine and do the swap.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 05:17:36 am
 Common architecture and as many interchangeable parts as practical would help reach economy of scale quicker.
 It would come as no surprise if the production version of the Parallel Twin resembled the LS 410 single more than the prototype version.

" Dibbs" on the first Interceptor to make land in the US If /when it becomes available. 

Different color or go for a matching pair  ;)  ;D

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 12:25:59 pm
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/royal-enfield-prepares-high-performance-bikes-for-the-international-markets-105644.html
Interesting article.
It finally dawns on them.

Regarding the obviously corporate boardroom "repositioning " of the classic models as city bikes, I think the cities are where these bikes are most challenged by the 85mph+ speeds seen regularly in traffic around these major cities by the maniacal cagers on the freeways and beltways during weekdays.
Around the rural areas, the bikes do just fine on the back roads at the speeds they are happy with. It's around the cities where they need the extra power, IMO.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 02:04:09 pm
I too don't think that an air-cooled Royal Enfield is going to make a good "city bike".  Who riding around on a motorcycle in a large city is going to want to wait a couple of minutes for the engine to warm up before riding off?  Most trips in a city are stop-and-go and of short duration.  The best motorcycle for city use is an electric one - once the initial price goes down (eventually) after volume production goes up. 

I use my Zero every day for short trips. It requires no engine and little chassis maintenance, I can ride it 100 yards at a time and it doesn't care, I can sit in a traffic jam all day long and it doesn't care about that either, it is almost impossible to "part-out" if stolen and is very easy for just about anyone who can ride a bicycle to operate, having no clutch or transmission.  Plus, you won't find anything less expensive to ride.  Right now I am paying about 2 cents a mile for electricity that I get out of my garage electrical wall outlet overnight.

I think RE should stick with their models (in first-world markets) as a "second" bike used for low-stress weekend rides away from the city.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 04:02:17 pm
THAT I'd buy.

Smooth, fast and classy.  A faux carb from triumph would work just fine for the feds.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:05:23 pm by 1 Thump »

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 09:09:06 pm
If RE build the twin, I'll take mine like this beauty.
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 10:30:07 pm
This is for sale in Bodmin.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 10:36:41 pm
Wonder how hard it'd be to sneak into the stats and get it tagged and legal.

I always wanted a T120 Bonnie but all the ones I find worth having are a bit more than I can swing knowing the up keep a bike like that needs. BUT if RE comes out with a twin I might have to sell Granny, rocking chair and all, and by one!  :o Of course if they wait TOO long I might find I'm being sold to pay for one.  ;D
2012 Kawasaki Versys

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 10:56:57 pm
There are plenty of Interceptors and other RE twins in the states. Probably starting around $5k and up.
They are vintage  bikes. They need lots of attention, just like the old Bullets do.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 11:09:53 pm
Since there are no RE dealers in the State of Alaska ( as per RENA) , I will not be purchasing any new RE in the near future.
I'm going retro Asian.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 09:18:30 pm

Now you and I know that that is arguably one of the best-looking parallel twins ever built (what happened to the gold pin-striping on the tank, though?), but building new factory examples of old models in 2016 seems to be restricted to the likes of Jaguar. How would you make a Series 1 Interceptor comply with the latest Euro nonsense or the equivalent US regs without burying the looks under loads of eco-clutter and reducing the performance to the level of a 350 (VM24 Mikarb-fitted) Bullet? If only...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 09:57:04 pm
Now you and I know that that is arguably one of the best-looking parallel twins ever built

A.
I don't think there's any argument. 8)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 12:59:13 am
 First serial production bike to crack the quarter mile under fourteen seconds in factory trim. 

The Japanese couldn't match that feat in a production bike until years later. When they finally did the bikes still lacked the handling and braking of the Intercepter.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 04:34:40 am
I would love to have a modern fuel injected Interceptor twin with disc brakes. 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 02:01:59 pm
It would be cheaper and better to just buy an original Interceptor.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 02:35:04 pm
It would be cheaper and better to just buy an original Interceptor.
They also seem to be much cheaper in the USA.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 03:01:12 pm
My head just exploded last night.   :o  I was reading the latest (April) issue of the free monthly San Francisco Bay Area newspaper/magazine City Bike and came across an article on page 22, penned by Maynard Hershon, titled "2 New Bikes".  In this article, Maynard seems to be trying to compare the introduction of the RE Himalayan with the introduction of the Ducati X Diavel.   :o  Let me put it this way, the article starts with this paragraph: "I don't care very much about the new Royal Enfield Himalayan or the new Ducati X Divael.  I certainly don't care enough about them to write about them as bikes, either of them."

He then goes on to write an entire newspaper page about the weird way the X Diavel was introduced by Ducati on the internet and doesn't say another peep about the Himalayan, until this sentence near the end of the article: "There's nothing he doesn't know about the new X Diavel. Or Himalayan."    ::)

If anyone else happens to read this article please let me know what it was all about.   ???  Right now my brain has fallen out of my head and is laying on my computer keyboard.   :o

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 03:19:21 pm
Probably regarding the Internet introduction similarity. Not much else in common, thankfully. 
That X Diavel looks like they tried to combine a Brutale and a Harley, and it didn't survive!
Wow!  It looks so bad, it hurts!

Also, as a general comment, radiators on naked motorcycles should be banned as eyesores!
 :o
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:31:32 pm by ace.cafe »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 03:28:39 pm
Well, I just couldn't conceive of a reason to compare the introduction of the two models.  If you wanted to pick on a new motorcycle model internet introduction to compare with the X Diavel, picking on the Kawasaki HR2 turbo-thing, or the new Honda V-twin SUV, would have made a much better pairing, to my addled brain.   ??? My only issue with the Himalayan introduction video is that it was about 30 minutes too long.   ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 07:32:00 pm
My head just exploded last night.   :o  I was reading the latest (April) issue of the free monthly San Francisco Bay Area newspaper/magazine City Bike and came across an article on page 22, penned by Maynard Hershon, titled "2 New Bikes".  In this article, Maynard seems to be trying to compare the introduction of the RE Himalayan with the introduction of the Ducati X Diavel.   :o  Let me put it this way, the article starts with this paragraph: "I don't care very much about the new Royal Enfield Himalayan or the new Ducati X Divael.  I certainly don't care enough about them to write about them as bikes, either of them."

He then goes on to write an entire newspaper page about the weird way the X Diavel was introduced by Ducati on the internet and doesn't say another peep about the Himalayan, until this sentence near the end of the article: "There's nothing he doesn't know about the new X Diavel. Or Himalayan."    ::)

If anyone else happens to read this article please let me know what it was all about.   ???  Right now my brain has fallen out of my head and is laying on my computer keyboard.   :o

Rub some this >  http://sumpmagazine.com/  <  on your brain.

It will help reduce the rashes itches and swelling of the frontal lobes.  Some say it promotes general healing of the soul as well. ;D  8)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 08:02:01 pm
Probably regarding the Internet introduction similarity. Not much else in common, thankfully. 
That X Diavel looks like they tried to combine a Brutale and a Harley, and it didn't survive!
Wow!  It looks so bad, it hurts!

Also, as a general comment, radiators on naked motorcycles should be banned as eyesores!
 :o
How could that abomination have come from the same home as the 916.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 08:22:50 pm

A few to many pints perhaps ?
 ;)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 09:24:02 pm
Sure is "The Ugly Sister" isn't it. Looks like the love child of a sport bike and an H-D.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:26 pm

It actually didn't.
Tamburini penned the 916, and he left for MV Agusta in the mid 1990s, creating the MV Agusta F4 and Brutale series, often called the most beautiful modern bikes in existence. Which stands to reason, with his previous work of the 916/996.998 Ducati models, and the 1980s Bimota models as his past laurels.
Now retired.

God knows who is designing the Ducati bikes now?
All we know is that Ducati is now owned by VW, since 2012.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:38:04 pm by ace.cafe »

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 09:52:02 pm
It actually didn't.
Tamburini penned the 916, and he left for MV Agusta in the mid 1990s, creating the MV Agusta F4 and Brutale series, often called the most beautiful modern bikes in existence. Which stands to reason, with his previous work of the 916/996.998 Ducati models, and the 1980s Bimota models as his past laurels.
Now retired.

God knows who is designing the Ducati bikes now?
All we know is that Ducati is now owned by VW, since 2012.
I know, but surely someone would have looked at the back catalogue and seen what influence the 916 had, and then looked at this and said NO. After all the Italians are famous for their style. :)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:11 pm
 Glacier white. I'd like mine in white and fully equipped please.

Cockpit looks roomy and reasonably well laid out. The square section back bones make for stiff frames.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #44 on: March 28, 2016, 10:27:25 pm
When they decided to make a bike for Arabs and Lebs with lots of cash but no taste. All the diavels around here are ridden by flabby middle easterners in adidas tracksuits and moccasins, anyway.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 06:58:39 am
I wonder how it would go head to head with this. Performance and style.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 08:52:25 am
If you count going around corners into the performance thing, the diavel would destroy the Rocket 3. it might be a wog's bike but it performs, too. I doubt the Rocket has the ground clearance to keep up. The Rocket wins on style IMO, because of the ship's engine in it. Too cool.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: March 30, 2016, 09:51:13 am
 Just took a look at the spec pages of Susukis DRZ 400 and Kawasakis KLR 650. They are carburetted.

Seems to me the carbed Himalayn could possibly pass our emission standards in a fair state of of tune with a catcon silencer and maybe a PAV system. 

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #49 on: March 30, 2016, 11:42:53 am
Just took a look at the spec pages of Susukis DRZ 400 and Kawasakis KLR 650. They are carburetted.

Seems to me the carbed Himalayn could possibly pass our emission standards in a fair state of of tune with a catcon silencer and maybe a PAV system.
Interestingly enough, these are being sold new in the U.K. complete with carburetor.  :o
http://www.thormotorcycles.co.uk/index.php?cmd=shop&name=betamotor-alp-40&prod-cat=34&product=16

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: March 31, 2016, 02:53:41 am

It's better than their last attempt!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:53:48 am by Farmer_John »
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #51 on: March 31, 2016, 05:18:45 am
Looks like Ducati is running out of ideas so I'll toss out a few.

How about a single cylinder 450 desmo Cafe racer with a FI engine for us old farts?
A 900cc desmo twin  that looks like a 900SS  with today's engine upgrades?

Something that looks like the motorcycles from the Classic era would be nice.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #52 on: March 31, 2016, 08:01:01 am

It's better than their last attempt!
Debatable.
Looks like Ducati is running out of ideas so I'll toss out a few.

How about a single cylinder 450 desmo Cafe racer with a FI engine for us old farts?
A 900cc desmo twin  that looks like a 900SS  with today's engine upgrades?

Something that looks like the motorcycles from the Classic era would be nice.
They already have but it was too expensive. Perhaps not classic era though. :)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #53 on: March 31, 2016, 11:07:23 am
+ this one.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: March 31, 2016, 02:00:53 pm
Link to YouTube video "first ride" review of Himalayan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_m0ZUZeot4

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #55 on: March 31, 2016, 03:23:34 pm
thanks for posting.
I like this guy's realistic reviews, just makes me all the more eager to get one.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #56 on: March 31, 2016, 10:06:24 pm
Haha Ducati have a long history of building awkward bikes: 860 gts, 500 gtl, the aforementioned Indiana and my favourite, the Pantah TL (because I own one!, sporterised and looking good!) . Italians seem to get it right, or very wrong. Fiat and Alfa included.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #57 on: March 31, 2016, 11:55:09 pm
Ducati Indiana? Where have (haven't?) we seen that styling before? Ah yes...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: April 01, 2016, 06:38:34 am
 A ride and review of the Himalayan in the city. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_0Zju90Ls

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #59 on: April 01, 2016, 08:10:00 am
Here's another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=ckNe0CW67Lg

The only thing I see that needs doing is making a rubber flap to stop all the crap getting flung onto the rear monoshock.

A ride and review of the Himalayan in the city. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_0Zju90Ls
Proof that this is positively an all rounder.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 02, 2016, 01:27:24 am
Here's another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=ckNe0CW67Lg

The only thing I see that needs doing is making a rubber flap to stop all the crap getting flung onto the rear monoshock.
Proof that this is positively an all rounder.

That is a good one.   
 These rider report videos are revealing tidbits of information not mentioned in the official launch video. Stainless steel braided brake hoses, removable front sprocket cover etc. etc.