Author Topic: 2009 to 2015  (Read 5667 times)

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
on: March 21, 2016, 05:55:41 pm
Can someone please tell me what is the difference in engine and the efi system from 2009 to 2015

Freddy1

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:16:54 pm
I think the most important differences are these two.
1-In the mechanism of the speed change:
old part number 570615 (Cam plate, neutral pin complete with roller), new p.n. 570706 (antiskip mechanism)
2-in the electric starter mechanism:
old p.n. 570153, new p.n. 592593 (sprang clutch assembly)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:44:51 pm
I'd say performance wise...non! but they now come with an upgrade sprag clutch from  0014 onwards.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:58:35 am
Did they change the sprag clutch again?

I know the 2009 and early 2010's had a weaker clutch but by late 2010 and onward they had the improved sprag clutch in the engines.

Getting back to the original post, as far as I know, the EFI for the 500cc engines has not changed for the motorcycles imported into the USA.
I don't think the ones in England or Germany had any changes either.

In India, back in the 2009-2010 time period they were having a lot of difficulties with the EFI unit.  Especially at different altitudes.

Royal Enfield (in India) sent out a number of technicians armed with computers and a updated Map and reflashed all of the fuel injected motorcycle EFI computers they could at no cost.
They reprogrammed tens of thousands of the motorcycles in India.

The 535cc Continental GT seems to be a horse of a different color.
It appearently had a different map for its EFI and many owners have complained about idling problems.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:46 am
 The EFI with O2 sensor was mapped and tested from -350 to +18,500 feet. Shame that it was deleted for the IDM. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 01:15:00 pm
I get the idea that there were probably a lot of changes during those years, but they may not show up as part numbers. I heard something about new tooling, and even a new factory opening. There are probably a lot of parts that will not interchange between a 2009 and a 2015. I even wonder if some parts from the same model year would interchange. Each bike seems to be one of a kind. In fact, parts not fitting together properly may be the cause of a lot of the problems people have had. Maybe the broken frame issue is because the holes in the frames did not line up perfectly with other parts, but were forced together anyway, creating stress points. It's been 2 years since I bought mine, and I'm still learning just how primitive these bikes really are.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:52:55 pm
Part numbers can be a mess and very difficult to figure out. Many from the parts book are just plain wrong. This is the reason that we have you call for most OEM parts. Tim is some kind of parts savant and has most of the old and new parts numbers in his head.
That's why we provide him with a food taster, personal security, don't let him ride anything on 2 wheels and are very nice to him. Let me start by saying that I would not hesitate for a minute to purchase a used 2009 model.

On average there were very few changes. The UCE is a good basic engine. In the very beginning there was a recall over gears seizing on one of the transmission shafts. It was made out of an abundance of caution. The problem was related to not putting a bronze bushing between the inside of the gear and the shaft. Not sure how that slipped by. The transmission is basically the older 5 speed turned sideways and immersed in gear oil. The UCE transmission is lubricated by a spray of engine oil. They were ALL fixed most before sale by Scooter Bob in our shop. I would not hesitate for a moment to purchase one.
As has been pointed out the sprag was improved as was the shifting cam and related linkage.
Wiring harnesses were changed as well as the routing of the petrol line.
Tank mounting systems were improved.
Starter relays were bad and have been for years so that is a given.
Tank low fuel indicators were defective in a big way and were improved.
The EFI is still the same and at least on the 500cc engines the mapping has proven to be great. The changes in the Indian market were related to an open system and do not relate to bike sent to the west with closed systems.

I am sure I have missed a few items, but on average the engine is all the same with mostly interchangeable parts.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 06:51:35 pm
Reason for asking was to find out why dobeck efi tuner is for the 2014 model up?

They say it's not for the 2009 say it could be just connection to the injectors being I different not sur what else

Just getting bored and thinking what else I could do or is that he 2009 Electra limited on options.
Als tried to fit a single seat without success

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 07:05:06 pm
In the very beginning there was a recall over gears seizing on one of the transmission shafts. It was made out of an abundance of caution.

He's being a bit modest.

The transmission gear thing happened in only one C5 and wear was found in another C5 and neither were in the US.  CMW only needed to check a few C5 in a very narrow VIN range but decided to check every UCE in the country.

This was done voluntarily out of good will, there was no mandate.
 They treated each bike like it was their own even as far as replacing a few pistons in bikes not properly run in. They never bragged about it and it was all free of charges to the owners.

The forum lit up like Christmas.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:16:07 pm by Ice »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 07:28:01 pm
Reason for asking was to find out why dobeck efi tuner is for the 2014 model up?

They say it's not for the 2009 say it could be just connection to the injectors being I different not sur what else

Just getting bored and thinking what else I could do or is that he 2009 Electra limited on options.

Well that's odd.

IIRC ( big if ) the square hoop / forward seat support on the back bone is not cross drilled on the G5 as it is on the Iron Barrel. 
 Our G5 is an '09. Next time we have the seat off we will compare it to our Iron Barrel and let you know what we find.

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 07:44:27 pm
The Electra is efi UCE what I have problem with is fitting springs to where and what size

I have two seats one lycette type other more modern with a solid base which I'm going to eBay as I have no idea of how to fit the springs or what I need as fitting kits

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 08:16:52 pm
 A nasty sinus infection is kicking my....nose..today. All I can promise is that I will try for the comparison and pics. 

The Iron Barrel has had both the Lycette and the LePerra solo saddles at one time or another. The frame of our G5 UCE Electra has the same hard points in that respect.

Is it possible that your saddle mounting kit may be missing a piece or two ?

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 08:34:01 pm
Call Tim or GAry at 800-201-7472 they can tell  you if there is an easy solution
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 11:38:15 pm

Seems that I recall people talking about a wiring harness which greatly decreased the "rats nest" issues.  Especially inside the casquette.

They had improved this rats nest several times sense 2009.  I know my 2011 is much cleaner than some of the 2009's I've seen photos of.
The models newer than my 2011 also now have decent fuses instead of the old glass tube with metal ends that mine has.

Anyway, possibly they updated the wiring harness in 2014 and in the process, they changed the electrical connector for the fuel injector.
That would make the tuner not work with earlier model fuel injection units.

By the way, changing the fuel injector and harness at the same time would be an easy thing to control on the production build sheets and in the parts manual.
The problem with the parts manual is, the people that change it and issue it have to do their jobs or no one will know it was done until they try installing a new part with an old one.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 12:48:31 am
 My hunch is that the ECU has remained the same even if the block connectors in the harness down line have changed.

Shouldn't be to hard to sort out the differences and then work around them to make the EJK function in earlier bikes.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 01:37:28 am

Interesting this subject, because I had a recent short conversation with a friend who is a Dynojet dealer and tuner.  I didn't think all that much of it at the time.   Anyway.... he told me after speaking to someone at Dynojet, that they found issues with different resistance values with the bikes injectors .   He didn't seem to know much more about then that, and we talked about how long we have been using mine, without issue.... a 2009 C-5.   But thinking about it , and seeing these posts.   It might make sense ?  Especially the part about the early harnesses.    The early harness were, as already mentioned... a bit of a mess.  And also a thinner gauged wire. There were voltage drops, because of this. And I could possibly see why Dynojet might have seen different resistance values.... depending on where they tested.   Just speculation here though....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 02:51:20 am
While the harnesses have changed the EFI connectors have not. The components have not changed either nor has the mapping etc. The injectors are totally interchangeable from one year to the next. We sell Power Commanders for all years with no problems whatsoever.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com