Author Topic: Electrical Contact Enhancers  (Read 9910 times)

Desh

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 05:48:17 am
Connectors are there for ease of assembly. They are a pain when they don't work as intended. If you have a bit of time and can use a soldering iron (or learn to from youtube), then get rid of them unless you're 100% sure they're good for the long term.
Do hear someone shouting 'butcher!'?
It takes a little time to cut them out, strip, twist, solder and tape the joint tightly and neatly but you're left with a tidy and reliable solution to the unreliable connector problem. Sure, it's not 'standard' but 'standard' is not always 'best' and in the case of connectors, most begin and end their job at the assembly line. Unless their 100% reliable, out they go. See my post today under 'Bullet Newby' where I describe the terminal travails with my 2000 Bullet.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 12:20:59 am
Back in the day many vehicles were prone to getting water inside the distributor cap causing a no start condition. the solution was to pop the distributor cap and dry it with a rag, WD-40 (after it got invented) etc. A good longer term solution was to spray the cap and edges with the cheapest hairspray you count buy (lots of fast drying sticky stuff in it). It dried in seconds and did a good job of keeping moisture out.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com