Author Topic: Electrical Contact Enhancers  (Read 9923 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
on: March 19, 2016, 11:15:59 pm
   Electrical Contact Enhancers improve any electrical connection when assembling electrical components or any time you re-rack any of your electrical connectors.

There are several brands/types available for varying prices. Here's a good sampling from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=stabilant+22&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527177575&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_98553kmacd_e

I've used the Stabilant 22A for every connector on my 2012 C5 to guarantee conductivity since I had to replace the left-hand switch module. 3 years and no electrical problems yet. I get it free due to my job, so I cannot speak for the quality of any of the other types/brands, but even the less expensive offerings will most likely save you a bit of heartache.
   Designed to be used for any metal-to-metal electrical contact.
   If it does miracles in a helicopter, it'll work wonders on the RE!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:19:53 pm by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:15:54 am
   If it does miracles in a helicopter, it'll work wonders on the RE!  ;D

Good to know, thanks ! I'll try it.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:11:35 pm
Gotta be careful, though, cuz a little goes a loooong way.  :)
BTW, the Stabilant I get free is past the manufacturer's expiration date. Company policy requires I toss it in the circular file or take it home. Who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:41:45 pm by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:11:06 am
I've used D5S6 Deoxit Contact Cleaner Spray in the past. Excellent product.
I could actually see it working as it removed long term build up from exposed phono connectors on the rear of the hifi system which I wanted clean prior to connecting additional equipment.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:33:44 pm
does dielectric grease fit into this "electrical contact enhancer" category?

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 02:15:35 am
   Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone-based grease that's designed to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. The grease they want to add to your signal lamp or battery purchase at an auto parts store is a good example. Good for sealing...bad for conductivity.
   It will NOT work as an enhancer, but WILL kill a circuit.
   Electrical enhancers are designed to guarantee a good contact between the pins/sockets.
   Using a good non-oily electrical contact cleaner is the best way to start. It gets rid of the oxidation and dirt that accumulate, leaves no oily film, and and thus provides a clean surface for the application of the enhancer.
'12 C5 Classic

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 08:42:23 pm
I am into Ham radio, espeically the restoratin of old tube type radios and tube testers. The Ham radio community knows more about this than anyone. I can say with absolute certainty that the best contact cleaner and help is "De Oxit) hands down. Most will not use anything else. For example if you use ANY other type of cleaner on a tube tester you are risking leakage from one contact to the next that you will never get rid of. An extreme but true example.
Having said that it is expensive and is gross overkill for an RE. Get something from an auto parts store, Radio Shack etc. and you will be good to go.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 03:58:58 am
  Glad I get mine free.  8)
  I learned early that the contacts, especially in a multiple pin connector MUST be dry before connecting.  :o
  I've read and heard DeOxit is the best. Just never had the opportunity to use it.
'12 C5 Classic

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 12:20:30 pm
An informative discussion.  If you don't mind...

Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone-based grease that's designed to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. The grease they want to add to your signal lamp or battery purchase at an auto parts store is a good example. Good for sealing...bad for conductivity.

So, to be clear: dielectric grease, if used, should be used to seal a connection after the two parts are connected, and never applied to the contacts before connecting?

It will NOT work as an enhancer, but WILL kill a circuit.

What do you mean by that second statement?  It sounds like you're suggesting that any use of dielectric grease guarantees circuit failure, and I've never heard that assertion made before...

Using a good non-oily electrical contact cleaner is the best way to start. It gets rid of the oxidation and dirt that accumulate, leaves no oily film, and and thus provides a clean surface for the application of the enhancer.

Is this a chemical-cleaner-only application you're talking about, or is there some sort of mechanical action (scrubbing, scraping, etc) involved as well?  Or does it depend on the condition of the contacts?

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 02:45:58 pm
Oh yes, on the back of those little packets of "bulb grease" in bold letters it reads, do not put in electrical sockets.  It does work well against condensation in lenses & a "light" coat can slow down rust/corrosion on contacts. knowing its' qualities kinda guides you on its uses, I still use it...regularly. "NEVER APPLY BULB GREASE TO THE INSIDE OF AN ELECTRICAL SOCKET!" Makes it a bit difficult to sell with a bulb purchase, & consumer education can get time consuming, but it serves its' purpose within proper applications.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:30:15 pm by rtillery02 »
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 03:11:41 pm
does dielectric grease fit into this "electrical contact enhancer" category?

NO. Just the opposite.

It function is to prevent moisture from going into the connectors, thereby reducing chances of oxidation of metal components.

Because of the perennial diverse views and counter arguments - this does this versus no this does that - I went ahead and tested them with my multimeter to confirm their properties AND bring to end this whole confusion of dielectric grease / Vaseline usage in connectors. Like everything else one can make their own determination when and how to use it. BUT there is no denying that dielectric grease and Vaseline are NOT good conductors of electricity. Now don't you ask me how do I define GOOD  ;) !

Perhaps you have seen my videos on this topic -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC2HVoHWNLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlInJbI4iwo

If one has more sophisticated instruments, more experiments can be designed to refine the quantitative measurements.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:18:15 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 03:27:38 pm
Very good Singhg5, Most folks that buy the dielectric grease are under the impression that they're actually "improving" the connection contacts when "protecting" the connections would be more accurate.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 07:51:57 pm
Some people who apply the non-conductive dielectric grease directly to the connectors terminals see no decrease in them when they are connected.

I think the reason for this is the metal contacts basically push the grease out of the way so they are making metal to metal contact.

This doesn't always work so I think it best to keep the metal contacts free of the stuff, applying it to those areas where water can get in.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 07:59:24 pm
In Summary...

1. Use an acceptable Contact Cleaner to clean the contacts. Allow to dry thoroughly prior to applying the Contact Enhancer.

2. Sparingly apply the Contact Enhancer to the male pins only, or to the terminal contact faces only, to prevent bleed-through and possible shorting between contacts within the connector.

3. If desired, apply a Dielectric Grease to the outside of the connector or terminal for moisture protection.

Three simple steps, One great solution.  :)
'12 C5 Classic

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 08:39:48 pm
DeoxIT is pretty much the proven solution for oxidized connectors. There are two kinds, the red used for cleaning, and the green used for protecting and enhancing the contact. The red DeoxIT is sort of an acid etch process that cleans off the corrosion. The problem with this stuff is that it flows into the connector crevices and is difficult to get out. Once you have applied the red DeoxIT, wait a few minutes to let the acid etch do its thing, and then flush it out with lots of contact cleaner. Once the contact cleaner has evaporated you can apply the green DeoxIT known as DeoxIT SHIELD. The green DeoxIT SHIELD will prevent further corrosion. Most of the time you see DeoxIT for sale, it comes in spray cans. Occasionally you can find it  in tiny bottles that resemble Testor's paint bottles. If possible, buy it in the tiny bottles as it is considerably easier to apply without making a mess of things.

This stuff can be difficult to source. I use Amazon. DeoxIT is 100% worth adding to your tool kit. It does the job better than anything else.
Rocket