Author Topic: Slow oil leak  (Read 8822 times)

krimp

• Grease Monkey
on: March 12, 2016, 06:32:38 pm
As you can see in the picture, I have an oil leak. I have ordered all of the replacement gaskets I think I might need, but am looking for your input as to what else may be causing the issue.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:37:00 pm by krimp »
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 11:36:39 pm
definitely a gasket and not the rocker cover bolt seal ? 
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 12:30:11 am
Easy once you remove the seat and the tank. You can catch the video from Singh?  Re: tank removal. The gas line is easiest to remove if you heat it with a hair dryer first.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_HxjOcwf8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mn2JVPmac
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:40:32 am by Decker »
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 02:18:30 am
Start by ensuring that the header cover bolts are tightened to specs.....that might be all you need.

GSS
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:49:30 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:09:12 pm
Maybe I'm paranoid, but using a hair dryer on a fuel line or anywhere near a source of gasoline makes me nervous.  Please be very careful.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:34:34 am by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:11 pm
Just something to keep in mind:

If a hair dryer is being used, there's not much chance of it causing any harm to the hose or the fuel pump outlet.
Hair dryers are also too cool to cause a problem with the fuel.

Now, a "Heat Gun" that's made for removing paint and such is a whole different matter.

Set on high, a heat gun can melt paint, rubber hoses and probably plastic fuel pump outlets.
Even on the low setting, a heat gun is still far hotter than a hair dryer.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 08:54:16 pm
"Caution and care make accident rare". 
From a Himalayan road sign in an RE video.

Just sayin'.

You wouldn't want your epitaph to read "Here lies arizoni, he blowed up real good"!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:59:35 pm by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 09:57:25 pm
I'm thinking it's the exhaust valve cover seal donut by the leak trail. Might just need tightening.  If not they are very affordable and easy to replace.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:42:35 am
While not common we have seen leaks from both the orings under the bolts that attach the rocker box covers and the gaskets that seal the rocker boxes. As mentioned by Desi Bike it might be worth trying to tighten them.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 01:51:53 am
Just a word of caution before folks start tightening the rocker arm cover bolts.

These bolts are shoulder bolts.  The body of them tightens firmly against the part with the screw threads in it (the cylinder head).

After these bolts are tightened to the recommended 1 kg-m (7.23 lb/ft) torque, further tightening will not make the cover and seal plate fit more tightly together.
It will only increase the tightness between the bolt and the cylinder head with the possibility of stripping out the threads in the cylinder head.

Because there is a lot of tolerance from the sealing surface on the cylinder head to the sealing surface on the rocker cover, I recommend coating both surfaces of the seal plate (gasket) with some oil resistant gasket maker like Permatex Ultra Black.
Also, apply the sealer around both sides of the rubber washers that go between the screw heads and the rocker arm covers.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 01:55:45 am
Rocker cover has step-screws as shown by a nice picture by our Forum member DesiBike on his bike when he replaced the gasket (below). These screws have only limited travel - only up to the height of threads on the screw. Once tightened to that distance, the screws cannot be tightened further and the gasket is not compressed any further. The only solution is to replace the gasket.

May be the screws are slightly loose, but I doubt that that is the real reason for the slight oil leak that you see.

As pointed out be Portisheadric, some oil may be going past the O-rings seals on the screw heads. Worth looking into them as well.

I think there are quite a few bikes with that type of oil leak. My G5 also has a little oily stuff coming out from time to time. Sometimes I clean it but for the most part I ignore it. This reminds me why it is REally a Royal Oil-Field - it is still a 1950's bike ! 

PS - Arizoni you just beat me to it, we were both typing the same thing at the same time  ;D !
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:06:33 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 01:57:17 am
Very good points!
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 04:38:29 am
Just did this procedure on my G5, which is why I was able to post both videos showing the tank removal ( thanks Singhg5) and the rocker cover removal. In the process I found slight defects in the metal finishing under the gasket where the leaks were originating. I used good quality gasket seal both sides of the seal. No problems with anymore leaks so far.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 09:53:29 am
My 2009 865 EFI Triumph Bonneville also used shoulder bolts to secure the cover, but those bolts screwed directly into line bored camshaft caps  :o  :o  :o
Definitely something you don't want to strip.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 12:39:03 pm
I replaced just the washer on mine. I bought a full set just in case but not needed.

At the time, I wondered if any polishing of the rocker cover had caused the rubber to perish faster.

'twas a simple fix, easier with tank off.