Author Topic: New Silencer, Rejet, & Air Filter Before Full Break-in?  (Read 2169 times)

Huffer

• Vespas fear me
  • Scooter
  • I brake for . . . long distances
Should I wait until the bike's fully broken in before I replace the restrictive intake and exhaust system? My Bullet just hit 500 miles.

Seems to me that freeing the system up ASAP would be beneficial provided one stays within the break-in parameters after the swaps.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe--last of the iron-barrel Bullets.
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100--last of the carburetted Bonnies.
1974 Norton Commando Roadster--last of the "proper" right side shift Commandos.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:44:20 am
I think the conventional wisdom here is leave it until fully broken in. The reason being that you wouldn't be able to properly test for proper jetting. And some stuff about warranty.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:45:47 pm
I'm with PhilJ. Break-in is important and you're probably wise to wait. I did the conversion right around 1000 miles. Was too impatient to wait for the widely accepted 1500 mile mark.

Matt

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:14:18 pm
It is beneficial to do the mods after break-in when you can use them.
But, during the break-in period, you should be riding the bike very mildly, so it won't matter.
If you do the break-in correctly, the stock equipment will serve you just fine during that period.
I know that it's hard not to be impatient, but there's no need for performance mods if you can't do any performance riding yet. It just would tempt you all the more to break the rules for break-in.

So, for these reasons, much like the posters before me said, leave the normal stuff in place until you have the engine broken-in enough to use the stuff.
Yes, they are good mods to do. After it's broken-in.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:17:40 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:54 pm
I'm planning to do those mods and probably more, but I'm going to wait until the break-in is done. I figure it will be enough of a job learning the bike as it is without me mucking things up too soon.

Besides, it's painful enough just paying for the bike right now. ;D

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 04:57:19 pm
     I've never had a problem with these mods when the break in procedure is adhered to.
HOWEVER, I have learned to do these changes correctly. If you are experimenting at home I would definitely wait until at least past 1000 miles. If your good dealer makes the changes based on his experience, to what he knows works then it should be OK.  The safest change is to go to the 30mm Amal and the Gold Star or other classic system. Do NOT simply hang a sock air filter onto the stock carb. The carb would then be supported only by the flimsy intake hose. It will vibrate so badly you will never get it jetted right due to gas frothing. Then the hose will tear and give you a massive air leak.

Huffer

• Vespas fear me
  • Scooter
  • I brake for . . . long distances
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 06:47:58 am
OK, just what I expected--most of you think I should wait until it's run in. No problem (even though I have all the parts sitting on the shelf). I will install them myself, as is the case with my other modded vehicles. Thanks for the quick replies; this forum is great.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe--last of the iron-barrel Bullets.
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100--last of the carburetted Bonnies.
1974 Norton Commando Roadster--last of the "proper" right side shift Commandos.