Author Topic: Newb seeking answers to a few Questions.  (Read 2311 times)

MosinMe

• Neophyte
on: August 28, 2008, 01:16:52 am
(Background)
Well, I'll start by saying I love everything I have learned about RE bikes in the last few months of researching them. My current daily driver (Jeep Wrangler) Has been shit ever since I bought it used 3 months ago and has cost me a fortune to keep running. This vehicles death however allows me the chance to buy the bike I've always dreamed about. A Royal Enfield.

I plan on buying the Military Model. (For the record)

~Now for a few questions that I couldn't find answers to while lurking.

1) It seems all of the current models have the AVL engine standard now as well as a 5-speed transmission. Do these new features increase the performance and did they get rid of most of the mechanical issues pleaguing the old thumpers?

2) I have heard good things about crash bars! But very little about the ones the store sells that mount on the back sides. Has anybody had the misfortune of geting to test them?

3) I plan on riding this bike to school and back primarily (15mile round trip) and maybe to hop on the highway (60max speed limit) and thump my way to the beach on weekends. Is this bike a good choice for my needs? I know they aren't meant for interstate cruising but was wondering if it was comfortable to cruise at 55mph?

4)  I know the bikes can transport two poeple but have never seen a pic of two people on one or heard about it. Is it comfortable riding with somebody on the back? And how does it affect your speed/performance?

5) The electra has what look like shocks on the front fork. Are these real and unique to that model? If so do they help with vibration at higher speeds?

6) And lastly, windshields. I concidered geting one for those longer trips on scenec highways but how well do they perform?

Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated guys!  :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:19:14 am by MosinMe »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 02:14:53 am
1.  No idea as I have a iron head

2. No clue

3.Yes, if you like to tinker, adjust chains etc.  I have a 5 mile commute and wish it were a little longer,  makes it easier to get out of bed in the morning.. 15 seems about right depending on the roads.

4. My wife and I have taken trips of about 100miles or so on ours and use it around town to go to the movies and such.  The stock seat has its limitations for a passanger, I have a duel single on order and I hope that helps her comfort.  I have some cheap saddle bags to hold my rain gear and odds and ends and we bungy cord a gym bag on the back wrapped in plastic for overnight trips.  Its fun in an crazy living on the edge way.

5. All of them have shocks, the electra just has boots, however it might have a different  type up front as I know the rears are a step up.

6. No idea,  I have goggles and bugs in my teeth.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 03:02:39 am
About crash bars, I was talking to one of my clients at his house last week while he was working on his old Harley police bike... He was showing  me its crash bar which was bent up a bit. He explained that somebody in a car hit him in a parking lot and bent up the bar.  He said if it hadn't been for the crash bar, he would have a broken leg or worse.  I think I'll be adding a crash bar to mine in the near future. 
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 03:37:09 am
question 1... it seems the olde issues have taken place with the re issue of an olde face.. think hd sportster  with one lung...

question 2.... hmm crash bars...  cheaper insurance than insurance..  but I don't use them..  the military modal has to have them part of the uniform...  the back rails will keep your bags from getting crushed...  when you forget to put down your sidestand

question 3.....   yep you can drive 55..  so un much like sammy hagar...  no click here unless u want to rock and roll
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfNATuw1DRs

question 4...  this is a small bike.. i weigh 151..  i would transport no one..  besIdes .. MY wife has her own Harley... mine just sounds sweeter

question 5...... uh   :-\

oh and question 6..  you got a problem wit bugs in your teeth ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:39:17 am by scotty »

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 05:14:52 am
   I've only taken my wife for a ride once. I was surprised how roomy the bike was-at least for me.My wife doesn't like riding on the back anymore anyway since she started riding her scooter, but I took her for a short ride just to see how it went, and, as far as I'm concerned, it did fine.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

staib

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 07:37:32 am
1) It seems all of the current models have the AVL engine standard now as well as a 5-speed transmission. Do these new features increase the performance and did they get rid of most of the mechanical issues pleaguing the old thumpers?
Answer: My dealer's view of the newer models was that the owner 'requirement' would be gentle maintenance, rather than any hard-core side-of-the-road fixing!

2) I have heard good things about crash bars! But very little about the ones the store sells that mount on the back sides. Has anybody had the misfortune of geting to test them?
Answer: Nope!  But they might make a pillion rider feel safer!

3) I plan on riding this bike to school and back primarily (15mile round trip) and maybe to hop on the highway (60max speed limit) and thump my way to the beach on weekends. Is this bike a good choice for my needs? I know they aren't meant for interstate cruising but was wondering if it was comfortable to cruise at 55mph?
Answer: Yes, easily.

4)  I know the bikes can transport two poeple but have never seen a pic of two people on one or heard about it. Is it comfortable riding with somebody on the back? And how does it affect your speed/performance?
Answer: Not as much as you would think as these engines have plenty of torque.

5) The electra has what look like shocks on the front fork. Are these real and unique to that model? If so do they help with vibration at higher speeds?
Answer: All bikes have shocks at the front.

6) And lastly, windshields. I concidered geting one for those longer trips on scenec highways but how well do they perform?
Answer: I don't have one on this bike, but on others the main advantage is reduced wind chill on cold days. Some can actually create more wind turbulence, others allow you to tuck down and reduce drag, whilst others just look cool.

"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

MosinMe

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:14:51 pm
Thanks for all of the responses thus far folks.

So far I've decided crash bars are a must. I might just buy the back set for shits n' giggles as well.

Now it's really just a question of saving up the cash.  :)