Author Topic: Cam follower Tappet replacement  (Read 5830 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
on: March 02, 2016, 07:32:04 pm
Can anyone give direction on how to do.  Im guessing the head and barrel have to come off as well? I think im going to buy the tools from cmw. if i have to take the barrel off I kind of wanna just drop a 535 in it now.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:07:34 pm
Head, barrel, and timing cover off. Cam spindles pulled.
Cam spindle puller tool needed.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 05:36:12 pm
ok so i bought the cam spindle removal not the guide removal :( this whole specialty tool thing sucks big time. cause everything takes weeks to arrive and i only have a week left with the bike for the next two months.  ive begun trying to remove the cam spindle but it is in there tight.  should i blow torch? i dont wanna torch the case cause its got oil.  unfortunately ive already backed the spindle out a little so not turning back. im guessing it just gets malleted back in.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 06:30:26 pm
 Try hot and cold.  Heat gun (not hair dryer) on the case and dry ice on the spindle.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 07:41:19 pm
i mean im guessing theres no other way but it seems like if i took the spindle out i could slip the new one into the guide without taking the guide out...? either way ill have to wait for the guide puller to come in wish i could just make one doesnt seem hard

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 05:22:39 am
 With nothing to support the back side of the crank case wall against cracking I'd be a bit leery to pull push or drive anything out of or into it. I'd rather pull the guides myself. Much more meat to support the direction of forces applied.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:36:49 am
You need to heat the case to do the spindle  and guide removal/replacement.
It can be done while it is in the bike, if necessary.
Avoid the flame. Clean it out well, and use a heat gun.
Use the factory tools, and do the job correctly. If you break the engine case, you will be sorry.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 05:12:17 pm
All headaches will be realived. I am waiting in the other puller/gaskets.  I also purchased the 535 kit from HC on ebay. it was a good deal. I know many on this forum have said that kit is not good, but if HC sells them im sure there was user error during instal. any comments will be helpful about the tappet replacement and 535 kit.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 04:08:20 am
 Heat the case and cool the guides if you can to make removal easier.
  Put the guides in the deep freeze over night before reinstalling.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 12:23:22 pm
Heat the case and cool the guides if you can to make removal easier.
  Put the guides in the deep freeze over night before reinstalling.
I have another AVL head on the way in for mods.
If you want yours done, now is the time to send it in.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 10:47:14 pm
So i finally came home from university and got right to the tappet replacement.  What im wondering now is if i seated the guide all the way down, i know i double checked, but now im questioning everything i did! the top of the cam follower goes all the way down flush to the top of the guide.  does the tiny clip that came with the tappets get set on the first ridge?   is it supposed to? the inlet tappet never had a clip on top.  can anyone send me a picture of tappets or info
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:55:33 pm by armando_chavez »

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 10:50:02 pm
also im really keen on my 535 kit i have i might tear it down to check the guide and put the kit on

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 01:01:15 am
If you're using "S" cams you will have remove/not re-install the circlip and valve-lifter collar on the exhaust side, otherwise the cam follower/tappet will not descend fully and will be a cam half-follower! That means you won't get all the lift from the cam, owing to the cam's smaller base circle compared with the AVL cam.

I found this picture of an Electra-X tappet tops in their guides on the French forum, please note the exhaust one on the right HAS partly broken at the TOP this time!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 02:52:08 am
Thanks apparently im still young(23) dumb and impatient. I used the guide puller to softly seat it after i heated the cases. turns out the pullers threads dont start till about 5mm(eyed out) in.  so when i seated it the first day it never made it all the way.  I managed to turn it on for the first time since september today! what a great thump. I think ive fully mastered all the top end timing side works now. My next little project will be copper or stainless fuel line.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 02:23:26 pm
You are learning, Grand Gearhead status awaits! One point I should have made is that, with the smaller base circle of the "S" cams, the cam followers will sit lower in the guides anyway.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 08:03:43 pm
they do, but i think its only noticeable on the exhaust side.