Author Topic: Need help with routing the wiring loom!  (Read 7605 times)

Quarterwit

• Scooter
on: February 24, 2016, 04:51:07 am
Hey Everyone!

I'm in the process of stripping down my friend's 2012 Royal Enfield Desert Storm and I was wondering what the best way is to route the loom - especially around the bracket/head steady in the following pic, where the rear part of the loom separates.

That's the new loom that I'm in the process of mounting.

Seems mighty crammed in there!

Any help (or especially any pictures) would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Marlon

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:36:58 am
might be some help

Quarterwit

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:16:35 am
Thanks so much mate - That's exactly what I was after!

So today I finished connecting everything (almost, more on that in a moment) and it primed and fired up straight away.

But I have one thing that is driving me a bit mad - a mystery connector that I can't find the other end to for love nor money. Pictures attached...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:12:41 am
it could be the 02 sensor plug which runs from the header pipe to underneath the top side of the tank then plugs to the wiring harness

PerazziMx14

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:48:12 pm
it could be the 02 sensor plug which runs from the header pipe to underneath the top side of the tank then plugs to the wiring harness

The 02 sensor on my 2012 is a 4 wire setup.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 04:56:43 pm
The 02 sensor on my 2012 is a 4 wire setup.

Same on my G5 of 2009, oxygen sensor has a 4-wire connector.

Quarterwit:

Could the red-black 2-wire connector be for Regulator-Rectifier, according to circuit diagram !

Is the battery charging ? Check the battery voltage before starting the bike and then when the engine is running to confirm that voltage goes up when you rev up the engine. 

(On my bike though RR has a 5-wire connector that includes R,B, and 3 yellows)

Is there anything that does not work when electrical switches are pressed ?

RE has been known to change wiring / other features without any notice, so anything is possible.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:14:37 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 01:14:24 am
Just had my tank off and found the same loose connection. Thought it might be the connection for the side stand down shut off, which I had the shop remove shortly after I got the bike.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 09:51:57 am
Just had my tank off and found the same loose connection. Thought it might be the connection for the side stand down shut off, which I had the shop remove shortly after I got the bike.

I can't recall seeing that loose connection on my 2011 B5... but I've never looked for it.  It's near the coil, yes?  Could it be a generic loom connection for something to do with the "twinspark" versions?

Quarterwit

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 09:56:25 am
Yep, it's not for the lambda sensor and it's not for the reg/rec.

Moral of the story - take lots of photos when you pull stuff apart!

I've no idea what it could be. It seems to be starting and charging fine with only two hiccups. The rear brake light isn't activated by the foot pedal and the headlight isn't working at any setting. It may be related to that... but I'm not certain.

Does anyone know what colour goes to where on the headlight? It's the first bike I've seen made in the last 40 years that doesn't have the universal three pin unit.

Royal Enfield are certainly a weird mob!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 06:53:07 pm

Does anyone know what colour goes to where on the headlight? It's the first bike I've seen made in the last 40 years that doesn't have the universal three pin unit.

This drawing should help with the headlight wiring.

GREEN is low beam, BLUE is high beam, AMBER or BLACK is ground or common.
A gray wire in the area is for the parking light that some headlights have inside the shell (reflector).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:12:18 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 04:22:01 am
The headlamp on my bike has three colored-wires.

Of the three wires, two are from a 2-wire connector (blue and green) but one is a single wire (orange), on my motorcycle.

If you take off the headlamp from the nacelle and look inside, do you see an unattached 2-wire male-counterpart.   

Have you checked the voltage of wires in this connector ? Does it change when you press any switch ?

The color of wires could be different in your bike or may be same as mine.

PS - If everything is working (headlight, rear light etc. ), then it could be an extra live wire for you to add a tachometer to your bike ;). Well, it is a vestige (like human appendix) from a wiring circuit for Indian bikes which have an extra bulb. So you can use it to charge phone or GPS !

If you look carefully in my second photo, my bike also has an extra live wire - it is a loose green tubular connector in right corner (behind 2-wire connector). Not all bikes have it. Only a few lucky ones do :).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:09:43 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 08:32:41 am
Mate same thing here when re installing my engine. That connector  goes nowhere! I reckon its just a connector you can use for say a phone charger or something

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 11:08:48 pm
Some call Orange, Amber.  That's the ground wire for the headlight.

The loose two wire branch is the parking light power/ground for the parking light that is built into the headlight (below the main bulb).

The Indian Royal Enfield headlight our sponsor sold me a few weeks back has this parking bulb.
When I install this headlight I'll have to decide if I want that bulb lit when the parking lights are turned on or not.
Presently, I'm using the branch to power my LED voltage indicator, another neat thing I bought from my RE dealer.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 01:38:54 am
sounds weve had the same lil issues here. ive sorted mine out. Make sure you have the correct connector plugged into the rear brake pedal for the brake light. theres another connector which is for the disconnected side stand switch(in my case its disconnected) theyre the same connector and in my case the correct way is slightly confusing as the wires are different colours as are the connectors. I had my rear brake light connected to the disconnected side stand switch cut off which caused the bike to stop when i braked! My tail lights were fixed by checking the wires that go from the loom just forward of the back wheel back to the tail light. they were chewed up from the back tyre. Worth checking out. Also my indicator wires were chewed god knows how as theyre protected in the tail light casing. have a good look.

Yep, it's not for the lambda sensor and it's not for the reg/rec.

Moral of the story - take lots of photos when you pull stuff apart!

I've no idea what it could be. It seems to be starting and charging fine with only two hiccups. The rear brake light isn't activated by the foot pedal and the headlight isn't working at any setting. It may be related to that... but I'm not certain.

Quarterwit

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 07:50:12 am
Thanks everyone for your continued patience and support. Dunno how I'd be doing without you...

SectorSteve - I tried switching the connectors, going against the same logic that you did. Translucent male connector to black female connector. Still no action.

I think I actually have had everything correctly set up, but I'm still not getting any action from the brake light when activated by the rear brake, the fuel level sensor and side stand switch.

I'm off to visit a friend later this week who has the same model to have a play and see what I can find out. I feel like it's something really obvious I'm missing, but I'll be buggered if I know what!