Author Topic: Engine Sprocket help?  (Read 3095 times)

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
on: February 14, 2016, 11:36:36 am
Hello guys

I have a 2004 500 Bullet 65.

I am ready to remove the engine sprocket, primary chain, and duplex chain. However the engine sprocket wont move at all?

I know there is a special tool for this job, but I was hoping like I have read and seen in videos, that it would just slide off?

So should it just slide off? Is there something I am missing, in the dismantling procedure? Or are some of them really stubborn and I am going to have to buy the special tool?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 02:32:23 pm
If you have a tool hire shop handy you may be able to er... hire a suitable puller. When I junked the E/S on my Electra-X, I noticed that the replacement K/S engine sprocket was more of a loose fit on the mainshaft splines.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 02:55:17 pm
Thanks in the end I took the plunge, I found a engine sprocket extractor in the UK on ebay, which was the same price as most Indian retailers.

Do you think I will need the clutch centre extractor or not?

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:47:14 am
The clutch can be removed without the tool; there are a couple of different methods (do a search) but care must be taken to not bend the plates or cover. I went ahead and bought the tool but I  like accumulating tools.
 Also,  be careful to keep the plates/pads in the same order and orientation as they came off. I zip tied them together so they wouldn't get messed up
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:24:46 am
Thanks already removed the clutch plates and carefully and placed them order. I have already done a search on the clutch centre removal. Only thing I found is sometimes it comes off fairly easily and other times the tool is required.

Will try searching again.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:26:08 pm
Thanks already removed the clutch plates and carefully and placed them order. I have already done a search on the clutch centre removal. Only thing I found is sometimes it comes off fairly easily and other times the tool is required.

Will try searching again.

Ok. Glad you got it off.  I wasn't trying to be snarky; I just seemed to recall a thread where a couple alternatives were offered. Its been a while since I saw it. One guy *I think* flipped the outer clutch basket over so that the bolts would bottom out and push out the plates...or something to that effect. Another mentioned using a deep socket (as a spacer) and a longer bolt in the center to pull them off...without knowing the exact procedures, I didn't want to give you incomplete or inaccurate info.   ;)
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:22:06 am
Thanks for the above suggestions, I haven't had time to search yet, but with the little information you've provided I should be able to experiment.

Hopefully the engine sprocket extractor should be delivered today.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 05:14:47 pm
Well the engine sproket tool came in the post today. Engine sproket, primary chain, clutch basket, and clutch centre removed. The clutch centre just slide right off with no tools needed.