Author Topic: Clutch Lever Elec Start Switch  (Read 6757 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
on: August 27, 2008, 04:58:03 am

Has anyone else had "issues" with the little plunger safety switch that works off the clutch lever. I've troubshot no electric start problem down to this switch in question and even went so far as to take it apart. After disassembling it a 2nd time and readjusting the contact tabs it now seems to work more reliably. But for how long?

"Keep It Simple Stupid" keeps coming to the forefront of my mind. The little switch may have a new life on my storage shelf.

Ed   -in the Ozarks
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:30:52 am
 I hate all these inhibitor switches to make sure you can't do anything wrong.

I will not have a switch on the clutch or kickstand or any where else.

The only switch I have is the ignition switch.

Whats next a pipe you blow into make sure you havnt had a drink before the engine will start.   

Dont laugh ---its on its way.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12:40 pm

Whats next a pipe you blow into make sure you havnt had a drink before the engine will start.   

Dont laugh ---its on its way.

And so is the workaround, me thinks.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:49:31 pm
I don't have one on my 2006 model.

The idea of a hidden toggle switch as the only on/off arrangement has always appealed to me!

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:27:27 pm
My FJ has the safety switch on the side stand. I had to restart it 6 or 7 times the oterh day before I realized why it died every time I put it in gear.

I agree with Clamp, the whole nanny state thing is annoying.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:46:04 am
I hated the stock controls on my 2006. Well, maybe "hate" is a little strong, but they didn't catch my fancy.

I disliked the bulk of the clutch casting and lever. It was too large to comfortably mount my windshield. The mirror bosses were not uniform, left vs right, and the extra wiring @#$%^ bothers me.

So, I replaced the controls with older style (not "vintage") Minda levers. They are a bit cheesier, but evenly matched. I deleted the clutch/starter circuit. It's been awhile and I can't recall if I had to make a jumper or just disconnect it...sorry.

I like the looks much better now. If you do this, save the cable ferrules. I think I used one for the clutch but not for the brake. Or was it vice versa?

And I am very much in favor of the hidden toggle idea. I used to have a 1947 Dodge truck that I rigged with a series of dash toggles and no key.

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:04 am
How does this function?  On my bike it is grounded but you pull the lever and it gives you an open,  and my solenoid does not work. Hmm,  I tried 12v on both solenoid leads and  12v on one and open on the other.  Neither combo worked.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:33:25 am
I disliked the bulk of the clutch casting and lever. It was too large to comfortably mount
And I am very much in favor of the hidden toggle idea. I used to have a 1947 Dodge truck that I rigged with a series of dash toggles and no key.
-Jesse
That's the way to do it. I had a 1946 Willy's Jeep back in the 70's that I rigged with a toggle switch and start button on the dash.
  " Keys; we don't need no stinking keys...  "    - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 03:25:18 pm

Gary,

Pulling the lever in provides a closed contact condition on the plunger switch and a ground path for the starter solenoid to energize.

It is really not needed if a rider remembers to have the bike in neutral or the clutch disengaged before firing it up.

Ed
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 03:05:04 am
[quote author=edthetermite
Gary,

Pulling the lever in provides a closed contact condition on the plunger switch and a ground path for the starter solenoid to energize.

It is really not needed if a rider remembers to have the bike in neutral or the clutch disengaged before firing it up.
[/quote]

But the bike wont start if it is not in neutral anyway, or does the clutch switch overide the gear switch?

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:36 pm
All the gear switch does is turn on the Neutral light- if you are lucky.
I can E start my 2003 in gear with the clutch pulled.
                           - Mike
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:08:29 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 03:40:36 am
Well mine dont!!

It wont start in gear and only when the neautral light is on --as a normal bike.

Maybe thats why you have to pull the clutch as well,geeezz what a cock up idea.

I would be cutting that out this afternoon,--no wait this morning.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 01:38:33 pm
That was the whole idea behind the switch on the clutch, to allow E starting in gear. If it wasn't then what was it for? Oh, and mine does allow starting in gear, even though I rarely use the starter at all.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 03:19:37 pm
I would like a motor bike to start when I press the start button. That is why I am pressing the start button because I want the engine to start.

If I was'nt sure that I wanted the engine to start I would not be pushing the start button.

If I had made a mistake and I actually wanted to blow the horn and not to start the engine I would be a complete moron and should not have a motorcycle at all.

Im sure the space shuttle does'nt have this crap on it?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 05:57:52 pm
Oh I bet the space craft has it too.

If your engine dies at a stop light or intersection and you need to move quickly, engage clutch and intentionally press the start, not the horn, and your off again and possibly no maniac has run you over because their time is so valuable that they can't wait ten seconds extra. ;)