aboard

Author Topic: Lyctt Seat on G5  (Read 2650 times)

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:53 pm
I debated this for a long time.

Broke down and ordered the Lycett seat and pillion for my 2011 G5 Deluxe.  Hoped it would give the rig (I am running a Kozi Rocket sidecar) a more classic look and maybe even lower it a little. I'm only 5'6" but could touch the ground comfortably.  Came with no instructions.  Took awhile and some help to figure it out but it is now mounted.  It does look more vintage but it jacked me up about two inches.  Now I'm on my toes when stopped.  Not a big thing since I don't have to put my feet down often with the sidecar mounted.  But it is something to consider. 
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:00:54 am
Photo?
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:29:25 pm
Right now I have the seat and arm rests out of the sidecar being reupholstered to match the material on the Lycett seats.   ::) 
I let him take the pillion so he could match the material as close as possible.  She looks kind of sad with just the one big butt seat on there.   :-X 
Should have it all back next week and will post pics.    ;D

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 11:07:27 pm
Tried to attach photos.  Let's see if it works. 
Does look vintage but would look much better if lower (at least 2 inches).
Also difficult to push back (as in reverse) with my short legs.

Any ideas for lowering the seats?

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 11:12:01 pm
Tried adding a second photo and cannot make it work.  Seats are higher, especially the rear.  Wife and daughter don't want to ride there.  Suggestions???

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 11:13:09 pm
Trying again with second photo...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 10:17:41 pm
Good looking seat. :)

There is a data size limit on the photos posted here. 
Your pictures have over 236000 bites of data in each one and I think that is the problem.

If you have any photo modifying software on your computer you can usually change the "resolution".  Typically this is set at 200 dpi (dots per inch).

That sort of resolution is good for making photo prints but it is not needed for pictures that are going to be posted on the web.
If you change the pictures resolution to 80 dpi it will look just as good on our computer screens and it will change the file size from things like 250000 to 80000.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 11:07:43 pm
Jim

Thanks for the tip. 
I knew this because a had a similar problem over a year ago on another site but I forgot.   ::)
Think I can make it happen in the future. 

Mike

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 05:33:38 am
There is a data size limit on the photos posted here. 
Your pictures have over 236000 bites of data in each one and I think that is the problem.

I don't know... 236kb isn't a large file - well below the maximum 4096kb allowed.  Even four pics that size in one post doesn't come close... 

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 12:05:53 pm
Getting back to the original problem...

NOTE: Check your rear lighting wiring harness! The pic showing the right side appears to show your harness rubbing against your wheel. Check and correct if necessary before doing anything else!

Now, if I understand you correctly you want to lower both your seat and the pillion?
   Going on only the pics provided this is my humble suggestion:

First the forward seat-
   Looking at your pics, it looks to be both too far forward and too high.
   The stock seat forward edge would have been almost flush with the rear of the tank, and the stock seat may have an additional bracket that you could adapt to your Lycette to move it back. This action alone will have the effect of pushing your seat springs back and lowering the seat by about 1/2" - 1". Another option is to order a set of shorter springs from our host.
   I have a C5 with a slightly different seat mount system, but that's how I lowered it to an acceptable level for my 30" inseam. If I can find the pics I'll post them.

Next, the Pillion Seat:
   Your pillion base mounting system is similar to the one recently designed for the C5 in that I assume the pillion pad was mounted directly on the frame of the mount which is attached to the upper shock bolts. Adding the Lycette-style Pillion and Frame to the existing pillion mount (We'll call it the LOWER FRAME) is why it is so high. Your G5 also is lacking any mudguard rails, so simply lowering the seat by mounting it to rails in any fashion is out of the question.
   If you are mechanically inclined and don't object to some simple drilling, the existing pillion frame can be moved forward closer to the rider seat and at the same time lower it to hopefully accommodate the missus or daughter.
   A) Unbolt the Pillion Frame from the Lower Frame. Slide it forward until you have a nominal clearance of about 1" between the front of the pillion and the rider seat. This will give you a good starting point for deciding where to locate new bolt/screw holes.
   The front of the pillion will move down the angled section of the Lower Mount and drop about 1-1.5" and the rear portion of the pillion frame may move enough forward that with the pillion frame horizontal bar (where the springs are attached) setting solid (or raised slightly) on the Lower Frame you can locate and drill a hole to attach the back upright of the Pillion Frame to the Lower Frame at the existing Lower Frame bolt hole.
   Note: The location of this new bolt hole in the rear of the Pillion Frame will vary depending on your preference for the seat height and forward position, so some adjustment BEFORE DRILLING is recommended.
   B) At the front of the Pillion Frame check the location of the frame in relation to the gussets on the downward bent portions of the Lower Frame. It looks as if you could simply drill a hole through the Pillion Mount and Lower Mount gussets and have enough clearance from the Lower Mount tubing to attach the Pillion Frame at the gussets with some existing hardware.

I'd recommend using that existing hardware so you have two bolts in the back, and two in the front.

I hope this is of some help, since I can't be there.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 03:45:52 pm
Saddles look good, how was the re-trimming on the sidecar?
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 10:24:21 pm
heloego

Sounds like some good ideas for lowering the seat.  Right now I am butt deep in alligators trying to set up a sidecar rally.   :o  After April 2 I hope to try some of your suggestions. 

malky

I know a fellow who does the upholstery work out of his garage.  Does decent work and is very reasonable cost wise.  He covered the seat, the back and the two arm rests in a noticeably heavier grade of material.  Looks better than original, which was torn in a couple of places.  Stuff happens when you carry a dog (she was just a pup) in the car.    :-\   Will post pictures if I can get the time.....

More later.

Mike

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:00 pm
Got a couple of pictures of the upholstery work.  No time to post right now.  This sidecar rally coordination is eating up my time (and other things).   :-\

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 09:00:00 pm
Finally got to it.

A picture of the re-upholstery of the Kozi seat.  Heavy grade material and the sewn in pleats (?) and the arm rest treatment look better. 

At least I think so.   ;D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 01:38:30 am
 Good looking stuff there Mike.

Now quit making me want a hack even more !  ;)  :D  ;D
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.