Author Topic: Fonz  (Read 2803 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
on: February 10, 2016, 10:02:50 pm
I see the Fonz's Triumph is up for auction. Guide price £100,000 / $145,259. Don't fancy that sprung hub though.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:14:07 pm
Don't knock the spring hub.  I rode in the 1959 Big Bear run in Southern Calif. with one of those.  Fortunately the carburetor broke off at about 130 miles and I had to quit.  Thank God~!  BUT it worked much better than a hard tail.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:48 pm
Don't knock the spring hub.  I rode in the 1959 Big Bear run in Southern Calif. with one of those.  Fortunately the carburetor broke off at about 130 miles and I had to quit.  Thank God~!  BUT it worked much better than a hard tail.
Agree about the comfort, but frightening handling on a twisty road. :o
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:10:58 am
Wow. Is the fonzie provenance worth that much?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 04:22:07 am
Wow. Is the fonzie provenance worth that much?

Not when you consider that he couldn't ride! Lol
I read an article years ago where Henry Winkler admitted he didnt ride (they usually used a stunt double) and the one shot for the opening credits where he rides into the driveway, he was terrified because he had a hard time braking.  Lol
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 04:30:16 am
I heard the one time he actually rode a motorcycle for "Happy Days" he layed it down.

After that neither he or the producer wanted him to even try to ride again.

I have a book written by him.
It seems he is an avid fly fisherman.

That's all fine and dandy but he is quite a dip shit.

It seems, he doesn't want anyone within a quarter of a mile of him when he's fishing and he will rudely suggest that anyone nearer should leave.

I never did finish that book.  I got tired of readng his rants about "his" stretch of a stream.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:53:59 pm
I ran across him riding the Air Rail at DFW to my next terminal. Only three of us in the car, and he wouldn't let anyone near him.
If you look carefully at the opening of H-Days it's a double on the bike. I read he's dyslexic, too.

Unless his book shares this (and I have no interest in checking it out) I question the article I read since it wasn't an interview.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:55:54 pm
I heard the one time he actually rode a motorcycle for "Happy Days" he layed it down.
After that neither he or the producer wanted him to even try to ride again.
I have a book written by him.
It seems he is an avid fly fisherman.
That's all fine and dandy but he is quite a dip shit.
 It seems, he doesn't want anyone within a quarter of a mile of him when he's fishing and he will rudely suggest that anyone nearer should leave.
I never did finish that book.  I got tired of reading his rants about "his" stretch of a stream.

I've also gotten sick up to my eyeballs with him and his Reverse Mortgages. They even had to modify the original one because he sounded so smarmy and sickeningly sincere. The newer one is just as bad. I have actually dislocated my shoulders (I have REEly bad shoulders) trying to get at the remote fast enough. I can't stand him. At least Fred (Thompson) went away.

And yes, he couldn't ride from all I've read and heard since I was watching HDz with my then 14 yo son. Even then Eric could see the editing and SFX that made it look like he was riding. CHIPs was even worse. Eric would say "Dad, they're on a trailer"!    :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:58:27 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:05:15 am
I see the Fonz's Triumph is up for auction. Guide price £100,000 / $145,259. Don't fancy that sprung hub though.
Is it worth 100k British Pound Sterling ?...NO!
It might be worth 100k Mexican Peso.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 12:24:51 pm
Is it worth 100k British Pound Sterling ?...NO!
It might be worth 100k Mexican Peso.

...but you have to realize that they (whoever buys the Fonz Bike) aren't buying a 'motorcycle' as such. They're buying a whole "bigger thing" that they feel is worth, for whatEVER reason, personal or monetary, the price they're paying.

PS: Please assume nothing from this post.
                     I have no dog in this fight. I could care less for the bike,
                      the Fonz, HDaze or who buys it, what they pay or what 
                       they do with it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:32:47 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 05:55:11 pm
 In the winter of 1984 in Santa Monica. I had just parked my '79 T140EPA at the curb near The King's Head Pub on Santa Monica Boulevard. The temperature was about as cold as it gets there. When I got to the front door of the pub, I just banged it open. It swung open and I had nearly bashed Henry with the door. Close call.
   In the afternoon, when "Bend It Like Beckham" had opened in Santa Monica and NY, I went to that pub's bar after a matinee, 2003.  I was part of a group of nurses hanging out. Adrian Paul and a friend of his came to the bar. It was a comfy spot. Our backs were facing the rest of the restaurant. I told Adrian he was more than just a good sport, because he had to do sword fight scenes with actors who had never handled a sword. Week after week.
  I told him when Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone went at it, they had lots of experience and practice fighting each other.
  One day at the film lab where I worked in Hollywood, Mike, an order writer took in some work from Errol Flynn's daughter. She told Mike about Sunday's at her house growing up. In the back yard, her dad were roll out a tumbling mat. Basil Rathbone and Errol would practice fight in the yard. How would you have liked to grow up there? Just another Sunday, picnicking in the yard. Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone are sword fighting while you watched!
  I told Adrian he was a decent successor to Errol Flynn's sword fighting on screen. He appreciated it. He agreed with me, it wasn't always easy to do his job. He told me a story of working on an episode. One of the actor's of the week missed and smacked Adrian on the hand. The actor apologized and then did it again! Adrian was pissed. The other guy was lucky he didn't end up with a broken head. Adrian isn't huge, but he's in good shape. His hands looked like a heavyweight boxer's hands. You would not want to take a punch from him.

Adrian Paul was born in London. He portrayed Conor MacLeod in the TV series "The Highlander".
ACE Motors - sales & administration