Author Topic: stuck on center stand, acceleration problems  (Read 6736 times)

Royal Enfield Batman!

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 09:00:50 pm
...my acceleration sucks, i can't get above 30 mph...

I don't know what the emmisions laws are like in California, but if your bike is equipped with a catalytic converter, then it's possible that the converter is clogged.

Last year my truck would start to stall when reaching 50 mph. I figured out that it was a clogged catalytic converter. It now runs like a top again.

Good Luck!

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:29 pm
the emissions laws in california would make a communist dictator weep with joy!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 10:35:52 pm
All of the UCE powered Royal Enfields sold in the USA come with a catalytic converter built into the silencer.

The California Royal Enfields are just like the RE's sold in the other States except for the fuel tank, the filler cap and the addition of a charcoal canister.  There are also  rubber tubes that connect the fuel tank, canister and throttle body to make the fuel tank venting system work.

The engine and computer map are the same as all of the other fuel injected RE's in the USA.

When I bought my 2011 G5 I had my choice. 
I could have a California model within a few days or I could wait a couple of weeks for a regular one to be sent to Arizona. 
I chose the California model and I can't say I am sorry.

It turns out, these California models with their sealed fuel tank cap never leak a drop of fuel out of the filler neck.  Even if they are overfilled and parked using the sidestand.

From the horror stories of people who tried that with their regular tank lids and ended up with fuel sloshing out all over their fuel tank, I consider my Ca model to have the upper hand. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 05:53:12 am
Fresh Fuel ?
Clean Air Filter ?  (mice may have taken up residence)

Years ago my folks  put our car into a local garage to get the steering fixed.  The garage took so long that by the time we got it back there was a nest of field mice under the back seat. We moved them into the garden, where they thrived for a few years afterwards.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 11:35:04 pm
the emissions laws in california would make a communist dictator weep with joy!

Very true, but since there are no inspections for motorcycles, you don't have to be concerned with them. Up until 2 years ago, Maricopa County AZ (where I live) had emissions testing for motorcycles. It was a nightmare, especially for older bikes. I ripped all the emissions crap off my bikes.

As for the centerstand, sounds like you might need to remove it, clean up any rust and corrosion, lubricate it well with BelRay waterproof grease when reinstalling it.

If your bike has EFI and a cat converter (both emissions devices) that is where the problem most likely lies. If it were binding brakes, you would know it from the smell and red hot brakes.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 12:39:46 am
Hee, hee, hee.

I've heard of a lot of things blamed on emission devices and fuel injection but this is the first time I've heard of these causing a center stand to have problems.  ;D ;D ;D

Looking at the center stand on my G5, it is a simple pivoting device which rotates on a large pin.
There is a cross pin that is welded to the movable part of the stand which stops against the formed bracket which the large pin is inserted thru.

There is also a rubber bumper which stops against a cross pin when the stand is in the "up" position.

All in all, I can't see anything that would cause the stand not to fold down or up unless the stop pin has sheared off and is allowing the stand to move too far forward.
If this has happened, it is possible the stop pin has become wedged into the bracket.

Below are a couple of attached photos of my center stand in the "up" position.
You can see the stop pin bumping against the bracket.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary