Author Topic: Performance engine build advice  (Read 7372 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:32 pm
yeah, you can remove the solenoid and associated wiring; it will really clean up the left side toolbox and make it more useful. And like Adrian said, you can go with a much smaller battery if/when you do need to replace yours.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 01:03:43 pm
Guys need your help again,

I took the two old location dowels out of my old gearbox cover to reuse in my new right shift gearbox cover. But my old location dowels are too small to use in my new gearbox cover.

Did any of you guys have this problem? Or did you just disregard the location dowels and screw the cover down?

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 03:52:20 pm
Guys need your help again,

I took the two old location dowels out of my old gearbox cover to reuse in my new right shift gearbox cover. But my old location dowels are too small to use in my new gearbox cover.

Did any of you guys have this problem? Or did you just disregard the location dowels and screw the cover down?
What I would do is source a piece of round steel or alloy the same diameter as the holes in the new cover, if you can, or even slightly larger, and cut it to the correct dowel length. Then Chuck it up in a drill, and lay a file on one half of the round stock, run the drill slowly and file it down to the cover hole diameter, flip the piece In the drill and file the other end to the diameter or the gearbox holes. A stepped dowel. I just lay the drill on its side firmly with one hand and the file with the other. Improvise on the cheap, will work, and very easy to do. Or leave the dowels in the case and slip a fabricated sleeve over the dowels that has the OD of the cover  ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:07:01 pm by cafeman »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 09:06:44 pm
My current battery is fine, not very old and a sealed gel type. If removing the solenoid is easy might as well go.

Dave you can also re purpose the solenoid,switch to drive another device like a second (LOUDER) horn for one example.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 07:52:19 pm
Ah thanks for the suggestion Cafe, I spoke with H

Ice, I want to remove the solenoid all together.

I have removed the HT lead going to the starter motor and the electronic ignition which was connected into the started motor HT lead.

I notice there was a red wire going to the left hand side of the solenoid ( positive ). I traced where this red wire went, it goes to the positive side of the battery.
There is also two wires going into the solenoid, a blue wire and also a white wire. I traced the blue wire and white wire back to a block connector, the other side of the block connector is a blue wire and a black wire.

Is it ok for me to remove the red positive wire from the battery to solenoid? Can I remover the actual solenoid? And disconnect back to the block connector ?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 11:33:03 pm
 Yes it is.

No matter where you go, there, you are.