Author Topic: GT visits the Harley dealer  (Read 9306 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 12:23:27 am
I'd like one of these. Should I see a doctor?
K model. Runs on anything. Low on power, beautiful bike. Cusomize it with better electrics, front disk and modern rubber. K70s!?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 12:24:45 am
My guess is that you would probably really like this bike, Rattlebattle.   ;)  It is powered by a 1958 Sportster engine and doesn't need no stink'n front brake.
  The power of engine braking! High compression to run on 100 octane in the 60s, slows right down.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 05:12:46 am
That K-model Sportster is just begging for a solo saddle
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 12:41:45 pm
 ;D

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 60 years.
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 01:41:08 pm
I bought my GT in 2014 from American Harley Davidson in Tonawanda, NY, a long-time Harley franchise that also had a RE franchise sharing their showroom, about 15 miles from home.  Two or three years ago they had a Bullet with a sidecar on it as a demo that they let me ride.  I almost bought it!  But a year after I bought my GT they abandoned RE.  I was told they did that because HD was coming out with a 500cc bike and apparently HD didn't want any in-the-showroom competition, so now the nearest dealer is more than 200 miles from home.  Other than the fact that I couldn't buy a helmet, or gloves, or a scarf, or a jacket, or ANYthing that didn't have "Harley Davidson" written all over it, they were great folks to deal with.  The guy who I dealt with when I bought my GT was the nicest, most helpful and friendly salesman I ever met in a motorcycle dealership in 60 years of going to motorcycle dealerships and the rest of the staff there were worthy of praise as well.  He even called me to see how I was doing with my GT a year after they had ceased to be a RE dealer.
2019 Royal Enfield 650 GT
2014 Royal Enfield 535 GT
1984 HONDA VF750 INTERCEPTOR
1975 Yamaha DT 100
1973 Yamaha RD 250 made into a cafe racer in 1975
1973 Yamaha TY 175 Trialer
1966 Yamaha DT 125 Enduro   X2

simca1200scoupe

• Scooter
  • Historic Racing !
Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 05:42:22 pm
Does HD build motorcycles....really  :o

Sorry for all proud US guys but they build HEAVY, HIGHPRICED, OUTDATED pieces of bad quality metal with
a) rubbish roadholding
b) 50 kg +x too much weight
c) NO power (except from the new water-cooled engines where the rest is also BS)
d) no brakes

HOW the hell could they surveive so long with their rubbish that only guys in the midlife-crisis would drive by choice to be a cool rocker ???? I have driven the VRod of a friend...ok, power is really there but the rest - OH MY GOD...Indian quality is BETTER, brakes and roadholding is rubbish and people really pay so much money for this ??????

I will never understand it...... ::)
Best regards from Ottweiler Germany

Hardy

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 60 years.
Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 12:36:37 pm
The Harley owner wouldn’t understand your preferences either, his condemnation of your choice of motorcycles (and my choice as well, referring to a RE Continental GT) would probably sound like this: “a bike that would be uncomfortable and impossible for long periods of cruising on 4-lane interstate superhighways amid interstate truck traffic at a steady 80 mph that’s typical of long-distance traveling in the USA, has no place to carry lots of stuff and a female companion on long or short trips with the stereo playing Ted Nugent at 100db, is not made in America, makes an unfamiliar sound, is entirely different than the bikes that a desired membership in a certain tight-knit social group mandates, has many hundreds of miles between dealers, often suffers from poor build quality, and is best suited for going fast around the tight curves on twisty racetracks and little else.”

It’s a matter of “do you walk to work or take your lunch?” 
2019 Royal Enfield 650 GT
2014 Royal Enfield 535 GT
1984 HONDA VF750 INTERCEPTOR
1975 Yamaha DT 100
1973 Yamaha RD 250 made into a cafe racer in 1975
1973 Yamaha TY 175 Trialer
1966 Yamaha DT 125 Enduro   X2

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 02:21:43 pm
From what I hear, Harley's may be assembled in America, but I don't think most of the motorcycle is "made" in America.  ::) And the same goes for their new 500 and 750 V-twins.  I believe most of their parts are made in some mysterious foreign country.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 03:43:46 pm
Assembly is here. That's all. It reminds me of Royal Enfield, in reverse.

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 07:30:00 pm
Every time I've come across a guy on a Harley at a gas station I get anywhere from a thumbs up to a number of questions asked about the bike. If I'm out on the road stopped at a stoplight and they pull up next to me they start revving their engine to show off. But even then I get a thumbs up most of the time. I've never had any negative remarks made to me about the bike. Everybody seems to enjoy it. And I'm proof that you can go long distance on the GT. Last month I did a 580 mile round trip from Houston to Paris Texas. No it wasn't on four-lane superhighways. But it was still on highways with speed limits of 70 miles an hour. The bike did just fine. My throttle hand cramped up a little bit but I'm sure that will happen with any bike when you're not used to holding the throttle for hours on end.

Like I said earlier. When I pulled up to the Harley dealer four or five guys came running out wanting to get a look at the GT. One salesmen knew the most about it. When he saw it he said "it is one of the new Royal Enfields." He thought I got it from the big Royal Enfield dealer in Fort Worth Texas. Didn't know there was a local dealer. And then he went on about the rear shocks being better than anything Harley makes.

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that wouldn't give the GT the time of day. I just haven't run across them yet.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon