Author Topic: new cylinder head ES on a KS ?  (Read 5981 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 03:52:21 pm
You MUST have an 8.5:1 compression piston in the engine to use rephased cams in this way. The stock piston is not sufficient for it.

You asked how to rephase. We assumed that you knew about the other aspects. This isn't for beginners! You need to know all about what you are doing.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 03:59:43 pm
For starters you can do a search here, or google royal enfield  re-phased cams or some such combination of that and bullet etc. You should get results for this forum and a few others where you will find out everything about doing this. But still, as Ace mentioned, one needs to know what they're doing and have at least a basic understanding of things and what any mods will do. A little reading never hurts. Lots here to read and digest that's for sure ;)

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 12:15:38 am
thanks for the advise. i know you can tell i don't have a lot of experience working on motorcycles. i do have "some" mechanical aptitude.i figure by turning the intake cam counter clockwise that would retard in intake valve opening. but i don't  think i need to know the curve, chart or why that's good.  that's what you gearheads have already figured out.  i do understand what the cams do and the importance of not letting the distributor shaft or the engine move when replacing or rephasing the cams. or the engine would need to be retimed. i could probable do that too with some guidance but i would really rather not.
 its not for beginners, but we all have to start somewhere. when i first got the bike the first thing i needed to do was replace all three sets of bearings in the back wheel and brake hub. i ordered the parts and did some reading on it, then did it.
 then i did the right shift conversion and replace the bearings in the gearbox. i ordered the parts and read everything i could find on that. it was very intimidating. but after i read everything 5 times and asked some questions here, i did it. i want to be able to pull the head and decoke or rework the valves myself.
 if i ever get to retire it will give me something to do. and i want to be able to tell people i did it myself.
so far i think the top end sounds less intimidating than popping open the timing side. i think its still sealed from the factory and my timing cover doesn't have the tab at the top to tap on.i think that gasket will be trashed when i get done with it.
 so i really do appreciate the warnings, trying to save me from myself.
 eventually i am going to dig into it, so i have to warn you geargeads, i will probable be asking some questions.   

Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 01:16:45 am
No problem with asking questions...
I think the main point they wanted to get across is if you don't have a hi-compression piston, there is no reason to mess with the cam timing. 
From what you have done to your bike so far, I don't think you will have a problem if you ever decide to go further into the engine and upgrade the internals.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 01:48:57 am
oh yeah, i left that out. i got that part, thanks.
 i want to get an alloy barrel and 8.5:1 piston.i saw that head on clearance for cheep and wanted to make sure it would work. i got it. i must have gotten the last one. they were out of stock the next morning. those oil feed holes look very small to me. but i've never seen an ES up close.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.