Author Topic: heavier bar ends for reduced vibrations - Anyone looked into this?  (Read 8667 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:33 pm
That's funny. It took me about 10 seconds to fish the bits out of my handlebars. And my gt doesn't vibrate terribly (despite my wife's claims to the contrary. She's a Ducati rider so anything else would vibrate compared with) maybe there's a link. Loose bungs save vibes?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 09:25:47 pm
I know I can get BBs. Who sells lead shot? Gun shop? Fishing store?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Otto_Ing

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 09:36:31 pm
If I knew this was the solution I would not have sold my historic treasure .45 SAA. It's the nannies fault again!  >:(  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:58:33 pm by oTTo »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 09:45:36 pm
Fishing stores have small lead weights. That should take care of that.
I got a pair of the heavy weight, 17.9 oz stainless steel bar ends on order now.  http://www.hvmp.com/7-8-Universal-s/23.htm

I got a 10 per cent discount because I'll use my own hardware for mounting. After delivery, I'll set them up and post pix.
Cheers,
Bill

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:19 pm
Gun shops sell chilled lead shot for reloading shotgun shells.
I like about #7 shot size.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 01:35:10 am
Gun shops sell chilled lead shot for reloading shotgun shells.
I like about #7 shot size.

I pulled out the rod's, rubber stoppers and took the bar end weights off.  I took the mirrors that I bought off of Amazon and mounted them directly to the bar ends. Then I took the plastic bar ends that came with the mirrors and used a small bolt and wedge/cone nut that came with the mirrors and inserted into the bar ends and tightened. I then made a paper funnel and attached it to a plastic straw. I removed the cap on the upper end of the bar and the allen bolt that is underneath. Then I put the straw in the hole and poured number 6 shot into the funnel slowly since it feeds kind of tricky (you have to tap and jiggle the straw to keep the shot feeding).  You have to be careful not to fill it too much or you won't be able to get the allen bolt back in because the bar will be to full. If that happens you have to remove the rubber stopper and let the shot fall into a container and start over. I bought some black leather and wrapped the plastic bar end with it to fill it out as it was a smaller circumference and to make it look cleaner as there was a small gap between the end of the plastic and the bar end.

It seems that it did dampen the vibrations but I also put grip puppies on so that definitely helped. They also are way more comfortable especially on the throttle side as my grip is fairly large.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

Otto_Ing

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 08:14:16 am
That's funny. It took me about 10 seconds to fish the bits out of my handlebars. And my gt doesn't vibrate terribly (despite my wife's claims to the contrary. She's a Ducati rider so anything else would vibrate compared with) maybe there's a link. Loose bungs save vibes?

Could be. I think the mounting might be more important then the weight itself. If the attachment is to stiff they may not counter swing as they are ment to.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:27:55 am by oTTo »

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 04:25:32 pm
Counterpoint.

It's a big single. Part of the allure and experience is some tingles somewhere. Let her shake!
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 05:11:40 pm
Counterpoint.

It's a big single. Part of the allure and experience is some tingles somewhere. Let her shake!
Pray how else to indulge our obsessive compulsive need to "fix" things? Especially if it involves buckshot.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Otto_Ing

Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 05:26:54 pm
There is no need to pray. There are natural limits to everything. Low tech beats high tech at some point too. ;D

Now seriously,  I like the vibs to some extend. What I however don't like is bits falling off, rattling parts and buzzing noise. Those things I adjust to my liking, no matter what anyone on this planet may think.  ;)  But hey everyone likes different things, I personally enjoy discussing the "how to" very much   8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:03:55 pm by oTTo »

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 08:21:06 pm
There is no need to pray. There are natural limits to everything. Low tech beats high tech at some point too. ;D

Now seriously,  I like the vibs to some extend. What I however don't like is bits falling off, rattling parts and buzzing noise. Those things I adjust to my liking, no matter what anyone on this planet may think.  ;)  But hey everyone likes different things, I personally enjoy discussing the "how to" very much   8)

True. But if I wanted something that didn't rattle me around a bit, I'd have bought a Honda.

The little bit of vibration I get is just added personality. And with bar end mirrors that don't blur, I mind it even less.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Otto_Ing

Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 09:05:43 pm
Well I never heard before that shotgun shots inserted into the bars may be a good vib. killer. Where did this crazy idea only came from? Thinking about it, it could actually work...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 09:12:18 pm
Well I never heard before that shotgun shots inserted into the bars may be a good vib. killer. Where did this crazy idea only came from? Thinking about it, it could actually work...

I previously was a designer of analog turntables and tonearm products in the high end stereo market. It is a well known method for reducing vibrations in those applications.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 11:19:15 pm
We've been using shot to keep our bass drum and mic stands from moving for years.   ;)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 11:30:14 pm
 An old BSA way of de vibing handlebars was to poor lead into them. My local hardware sells supplies making your own fishing sinkers. It's just as easy to pour the lead into the bars as to pour it into a sinker mold.