Author Topic: heavier bar ends for reduced vibrations - Anyone looked into this?  (Read 8666 times)

blacksheep

So, in the sport bike world, a lot of riders resort to using heavy bar ends to reduce vibrations.

Has anyone tried this the Enfield world? I was wondering if it actually helped or the vibrations in our world are of a different kind and hence this is not a worthwhile option.

For anyone bored and wanting to read - hvmp.com is one of the leading manufacturers of these heavy bar ends.

Anyways, figured I would ask :) . Thanks all!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
I think they help
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Yup. Plenty of threads on that here. However, there aren't much by way of vibrations left in a fully broken in RE with the OEM bar end weights and nice bar end mirrors.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Pour lead shot into the bars.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
I switched to bar end mirrors when I bought the Gt, and they don't vibrate. Other posts on this forum have indicated the same result. Don't see there is an issue, and I agree the bike gets much smoother as the miles pile on.
...Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

krusty

• Bulleteer
Agree with SSdriver, I had my bar end mirrors fitted prior to collection.
Completley vibe free. Having said that my CGT has been pretty smooth from day one, yeah it's got the thump, but none of the harshness.
Krusty
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
My GT has been the same way.  It vibrates but nothing worth complaining about. My pedal bike with carbon fiber wheels, carbon frame and carbon handlebars and even a carbon saddle vibrates more on chip seal then my GT does.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
My wife says my CGT is like a sex toy: it vibrates like a bastard but it gets you there.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
When it gets above freezing I'll check my stock bar ends and see if these will fit:
http://www.hvmp.com/7-8-Universal-s/23.htm
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Otto_Ing

I'm not entirely convinced that this heavy weights will have a positive impact on the vibs at the bars. What does the heavy weight do? Lowers the Eigenfrequency of the handle bar. This  helps to filter the high frequency vibs. Do we have high frequency vibs at the gt? Mine vibrate most at around 3000rpm that's 50Hz in a 1cyl. engine. Too high weight could bring the resonance to this level and increase the vibs...

So if someone tries it please report about the behaviour. It might be worth to try to remove all the weights as well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:51:17 pm by oTTo »

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 07:53:31 pm
I had a bent mirror getting in the way of the clutch lever while on my trip last summer.  In the dark, on the porch of the cabin I was staying in, I accidentally took the bar ends completely apart.  After an hour of swearing and fishing with wire to get all the parts out, I reassembled the bar ends and reinstalled everything.  Since then, the handlebar seems to vibrate more.  THis makes me think of two things.  One, is the placement of the weight more impactive than the addition of weight.  Or two,(also suggested by my local dealer as a possibility) is the weight just not as tight as it needs to be, causing it to vibrate more.  As these bikes are hand built/assembled, the chances of the stock bar ends just not being tight enough is a possibility.  So that may be a place to look at first.  I don't know how hard they are supposed to be torqued to, but before I start adding weight or modifying the handlebars; I will start there. 
Just my experiance with it so far.....

Otto_Ing

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 07:57:51 pm
Never unscrew the weight screw completely, fishing is no fun.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:02:01 pm by oTTo »

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 08:02:37 pm
Ya, I know.  I knew then too, but it was dark, I was tired, and pissed the mirror was bent in the first place.  Otto, if you ever find yourself in Washington, DC, look me up. I will buy you a beer, and tell you all about it....

Otto_Ing

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:08:53 pm
MeVoCGT, I was talking from experience....I gave up fishing after one hour and removed the whole bar to push it out with a rod.   ;D

I may lack the patience to be a good at fishing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:10:57 pm by oTTo »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:17 pm
I'm not entirely convinced that this heavy weights will have a positive impact on the vibs at the bars. What does the heavy weight do? Lowers the Eigenfrequency of the handle bar. This  helps to filter the high frequency vibs. Do we have high frequency vibs at the gt? Mine vibrate most at around 3000rpm that's 50Hz in a 1cyl. engine. Too high weight could bring the resonance to this level and increase the vibs...

So if someone tries it please report about the behaviour. It might be worth to try to remove all the weights as well.
Pouring some lead shot into the bars will help dissipate any frequency vibrations of much amplitude because they are easily stimulated into vibration, and they then vibrate against each other which will quickly dissipate the vibrational energy into heat.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !