Author Topic: Anyone know what these cams are?  (Read 24949 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #75 on: March 08, 2016, 03:18:02 pm
Start saving!  ;D

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #76 on: March 08, 2016, 04:52:34 pm
Oh I will  :)

Chrism

• Scooter
Reply #77 on: April 23, 2016, 05:26:24 pm
Hi all,

I've just fitted a set of these to my 350, with the standard piston. I deliberated whether to before I got the high compression item but decided to see what happened... I thought I'd post to add another data point:

Idle seems smoother with a little more noise out of the pipe.

No noticeable loss low down, in fact they've cured an annoying flat spott just slightly off ide that I'd not been able to tune out.

Then there's a far better, more eager (almost urgent!) midrange and then maybe a tiny bit extra on top compared to the standard cam. Throttle response seems improved but the bike's hasn't got a higher top speed I've noticed.  It sounds awesome wide open too.

The bike's running a "performance" filter bunged into the standard airbox with the bottom cut off, the Indian "shorty" baffled pipe, standard idle jet, richer slide, standard needle raised a slot and a 95 main jet.

I stepped the main jet down with the standard cams from 105 after a bunch of plug chops but may now go back to 100 to see what happens - I may get a bit extra on top but a plug chop shows the engine is happy at the moment.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #78 on: July 15, 2017, 11:39:52 pm
Well, just thought I'd give everyone an update. So the engine has just finished being ran in, having done 2000 miles. So I have just fitted some R cams.

The R cams were not a straight swap. I should point out my engine is a 1996 or 1998 can't remember which year. I had to grind away some metal on the exhaust cam side. The cams turned fine, but I could see the gap between the cam and crank/timing chest cast was very close. I could see oil/black marks. Too close for my liking! So I grinded some of the metal away. Which has now sorted the problem. Unfortunately the timing gears turned putting the distributer timing out. So after fitting the R cam I had to re time the engine. Which I did with top dead centre tool, degree wheel, and strobe light.

Took some getting used too, I had to advance the distributor pinion by one tooth, as it was not letting me get the engine quite to 32 degrees.

Well I finally got it right, the engine starts easy, and revs good. Proof of the pudding will be in the riding tomorrow! Hopefully all is well and it wont need anymore adjustment. Not bad so far, considering this is the first time I have timed an engine.