Author Topic: Anyone know what these cams are?  (Read 24889 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 03, 2016, 01:47:40 pm
Just wondering what these cams might be, if anything other than standard. I have seen many 'standard' Indian cams and I am aware there can be small variations from one set to another, but these appear to have the slightest edge on most standard cams, with the tiniest amount of extra lift and duration - probably only a matter of a few thou at most - but there is also this logo on them, which I have not seen before.
 Anyone know anything?
 [Same cam in both pictures, by the way]
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:24:46 pm
I don't know.
I have seen photos of cams somewhere with those logos on them. Maybe it was on Ebay.
I have never owned any of those, and have never measured their profiles.

Maybe somebody from India might recognize it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:21:20 am
I'm sure that logo is on the AVL cams, I'll check my Electra's original exhaust cam tomorrow. They're not a set of Henry Price's "R" cams by any chance, are they? I know he used AVL cams as blanks, as the AVL profile is larger than the standard cam.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:15:25 am
 Curios. Could they be Egli ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:06:06 pm
If they are R Cams from price, they will be approx .352"(I) and .330"(E) lobe lifts.

If they began as AVL cams, and reground, they may have been done at any unknown cam shop or even at some unknown  Indian supplier vIA ebay.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:08:36 pm by ace.cafe »

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:58:55 pm
 where did you get the cams, BW ? ::)
   like, zoiks!  sounds like a mystery.

PS, i enjoy the video of slo poke. i want my bullet to sound and run like that someday.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:56:26 pm by guss,guss »
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 12:09:28 am
Thanks, all for the replies so far. guss, guss - these cams came with a basket case engine which will become 'Asbo' 19 in the near future, these cams look 'quality', rather than 'hot'.
 B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 02:39:36 am
My spare AVL exhaust cam definitely has the same design stamped on in roughly the same position, only it's a bit clearer. The steel cam bushes (instead of bronze) also point to Indian manufacture rather than Redditch.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

arindamcc

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 04:12:16 am
Here is a picture of new oem cam of 350cc CI Model part no 141991 manufacture date 05/2015 I think it will help.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 06:09:39 pm
Thanks, all for the replies so far. guss, guss - these cams came with a basket case engine which will become 'Asbo' 19 in the near future, these cams look 'quality', rather than 'hot'.
 B.W.

By 'quality' do you mean road race cams compared to 'hot' racing cam?

I'd be interested to find out if these are indeed price cams, and what your thoughts are on them BW.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 06:32:22 pm
Here is a picture of new oem cam of 350cc CI Model part no 141991 manufacture date 05/2015 I think it will help.
That looks like them. Thanks!
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 06:34:49 pm
By 'quality' do you mean road race cams compared to 'hot' racing cam?

I'd be interested to find out if these are indeed price cams, and what your thoughts are on them BW.
I don't think they are a performance cam at all, but they appear to be well made and I noticed they were a good fit in the timing chest, with no slop or backlash between each other and the other gears.
 B.W.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 07:24:07 pm
I have seen the marking before and think it is an Indian manufacturer. One thing I have learned about ALL cams including OEM cams is that there is a lot of variation. A typical Bullet whisperer in India keeps a box full of cams and hand fits them to each engine that he works on to find a good fit.

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 08:06:41 pm
I'd like to hear more about these Price "R" cams also, and how they rank amongst both Hitchcock's versions, Ace's cams, as well as BW's "S" grinds and the re-phased option. Anyone running those "R" cams? Just for everyone's reference...kinda scattered info among many posts and forums. :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:08:02 pm
I'd like to hear more about these Price "R" cams also, and how they rank amongst both Hitchcock's versions, Ace's cams, as well as BW's "S" grinds and the re-phased option. Anyone running those "R" cams? Just for everyone's reference...kinda scattered info among many posts and forums. :)
I helped him design them.
They reflect my cam philosophy. Very good value. Street grind.