Author Topic: Am I just off on this  (Read 5382 times)

mc35803

• Bulleteer
on: February 02, 2016, 11:46:55 pm
I was the kid growing up in the 1960s and 70s who gravitated to every motorcycle I saw in a parking lot only to be told by my parents "get away from that bike".  I didn't start riding till I was 45.  My only bikes have been Harleys, Urals, and since last April my Royal Enfield 2015 C5.  The Urals got me interested in older looking or vintage bikes.  That led me to looking at Royal Enfields in 2008.  I always lusted after a Honda CL350 and today I had the chance to ride one.  The local Japanese dealer has an absolutely gorgeous restored 1973 one.  It isn't a show bike exactly but close.   I don't know how long it had been in there.  They said lots of people have started it, just not many were serious enough to want a test ride.  I did, and initial impressions were that it isnt nearly as good a rider as the C5.  It stuttered at 3200 rpms and that could be perhaps fouled plugs.  I felt like the salesman thought I was making that up, because he only agreed to me test riding it after I told him I was serious.  I asked him to ride it while I picked up my step daughter and came back in 10 minutes.  Got back and the salesman hadn't returned from his test ride-and he left before me.  Turns out the bike died on him and he and the bike needed to be picked up.  I will probably go back and ride it again once it has been sorted out but I wonder.....you guys or gals that have owned or ridden the old Hondas, how do you feel they stack up against the C5s?    I feel connected to the C5 and maybe it was because I was on a test ride on a bike with problems but I didn't feel anything.  What are your views.   I know the CL350 is smaller.....
Miles

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:57:29 pm
CL 350s are are going up in value at this time. People want them to relive the old days. If you buy one you will probably work on it a lot. Its 40 years old and no amount of restoration removes all the age. It's not even in the same league with your C5 as far as a rider. Buzzy vibrates a lot and most bounce like a pogostick.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:47:39 am
if it's something you think you should have -you could always buy-park- look at and maybe ride it. after the novelty wears off cash it! ;D

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:27 am
A friend of mine has bought 4 old Hondas in the last couple of years and has about $10,000.00 into them.  He's always trying to find someone who can make the carbs run right for very long, they are always fouling plugs, and flooding, etc...  He's also wanted a new Triumph for years but can't afford it. Do the math.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:43:31 am
  Ironic, I did a CL in Bullet Green for as guy. Both good bikes, build quality about the same between a 70's Honda twin and a Modern C-5. A bit more Buzzz then thump . Personally I would take the C-5 over the CL.   But if you lusting for the CL, I say go for it. ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 03:15:28 am
Thanks to all.  It is funny, I feel like I get transported in time each and every ride on the C5.   Everything just seems right in the world.  Didn't find that on the CL350 and sounds like I should pass on it.  I like to ride moderately far - say 1300+ miles and don't have room for a bike that won't do that.   Looking forward to my first long ride on the C5...albeit with less gear.   Thank you again for the comments. (I wasn't going to give up the C-5)
Miles

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 03:50:11 am
or maybe -its 40 years of progress ;)

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:09:53 am
I learned to ride on a 68 cb350, and had cb450s, cl450s, cl360s,cb500ts. all great bikes when you could get them for 2-300 bucks.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 12:03:49 pm
But if you lusting for the CL, I say go for it. ;)

Yeah, but... you always say that, GHG! 

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 12:13:21 pm
I started riding on early Hondas while still at school in the late sixties. The mains went on the first one, the second needed a rebore (before I wrote it off, my first and only serious accident on a bike), the third needed three goes at getting it to stop jumping out of second gear. There were three different second gears apparently. I then went British. Those who rave about how small Hondas wiped the floor with everything else never rode them when they were three or four years old with maybe 10,000 miles on them. On the poor running issue I have a friend with a nice CB750 K1 Honda. It will only do 80mph. The collective wisdom of my local classic bike club (a real knowledgeable bunch, if you exclude me - he joked) has so far failed to solve this, even after a complete engine rebuild. The owner's idea; most of us think he was mad.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 01:14:40 pm
My only bikes have been Harleys, Urals, and since last April my Royal Enfield 2015 C5.  The Urals got me interested in older looking or vintage bikes.  That led me to looking at Royal Enfields in 2008.  I always lusted after a Honda CL350 and today I had the chance to ride one.  The local Japanese dealer has an absolutely gorgeous restored 1973 one.
I did, and initial impressions were that it isnt nearly as good a rider as the C5.
....you guys or gals that have owned or ridden the old Hondas, how do you feel they stack up against the C5s?  I know the CL350 is smaller.....

You can't compare those two bikes. They're apples and oranges. Totally different categories.

You can't pick between the two using any of the same reasons.

If anything, you need BOTH; the '73 AND your UCE. I've had many vintage cars and bikes over my years (I'm almost 78), but I've never compared them to anything NEW I might have had at the same time. The new has valid uses also (but they're boring, more or less).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:25:28 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 03:23:50 pm
When I started riding again, I bought an old CB350.  Bike from my youth.  I figured it's a Honda, it'll be bulletproof.  I worked on it more than I rode it.

Replaced it with a '78 CX500, a strange but more modern bike.  I still am working out fueling issues and will probably replace the junks CV carbs with a nice set of VM32 Mikunis...500 bucks, but a known improvement.  But it's still a bike I now realize I'll work on more than I ride it.

These two bikes are the reason I bought my Enfield...I ride it more than I work on it.  I believe this is primarily because it's new and I'm following the maintenance schedule.  No guarantee it'll never become a wrench centric bike, but for now, I can just smile and ride. 
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 03:49:38 pm
Yeah, but... you always say that, GHG! 

Hahaha!  Noooo Matt. MY terminology would be a bit different.   ;)   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 05:31:20 pm
When I started riding again, I bought an old CB350.  Bike from my youth.  I figured it's a Honda, it'll be bulletproof.  I worked on it more than I rode it.

Replaced it with a '78 CX500, a strange but more modern bike.  I still am working out fueling issues and will probably replace the junks CV carbs with a nice set of VM32 Mikunis...500 bucks, but a known improvement.  But it's still a bike I now realize I'll work on more than I ride it.

These two bikes are the reason I bought my Enfield...I ride it more than I work on it.  I believe this is primarily because it's new and I'm following the maintenance schedule.  No guarantee it'll never become a wrench centric bike, but for now, I can just smile and ride.

The CX500 is now quite rare in the UK because most were run into the ground by despatch riders in the 80s and 90s. They eventually had a bullet proof reputation, once Honda had sorted out the cam chain tensioner design and crankshaft issues that plagued the early ones. Compared to the Moto Guzzi V50 of the day though it was a lardy, complex machine.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 06:14:56 pm
     There are several significant issues with any old bike, especially Japanese bikes from this era. They were so much more reliable and had much more bang for the buck than contemporary British iron that they attracted buyers who would normally have been put off by the maintenance requirements of the British and American offerings. This means that a whole bunch of people with mediocre to non-existent riding and mechanical skills beat them to death. At the first real problem they were parked with no thought to preservation.
     Now, there are many people that never learned the necessary skills trying to resurrect the old clunkers. I get a lot of these through the shop. It is almost an art form to be able to adjust valves with mechanical tappets or to gap points and set timing. Add in the non- ability or experience to recognize proper assembly and you have a poor running bike that no one can properly repair.
     Many issues relate to carburation. The lack of proper storage fosters corrosion in the carb body that you can't see. Sometimes you can re-jet to compensate, sometimes you must replace the carbs.
     Cylinder walls tended to rust and pit during the same improper storage. This causes low compression and smoking.
     Improper or no valve adjustment will lead to burned seats, another cause of low compression.
     It can't carburate properly with low compression, so it is easy to misdiagnose running issues.
      As simple as the electrical systems on these old bikes are, most people, including contemporary shop mechanics, can't seem to grasp the basics. They hack things up to conform to their thoughts, rather than taking the time to learn.
     If you are going to get this kind of bike I recommend finding a crabby, snarky, old fart that has been doing this for 40 or 50 years. I'm in Olympia, Wa. but surely I must have a doppelganger near you.
     The CB350, IN IT 'S DAY, was a great bike. Simple upgrades to suspension and tires netted you a good handling, fast, and reliable bike. It had a horrid high frequency vibration at sustained high speeds, so limit your freeway riding. Properly set up and maintained it will take you from coast to coast.
     Even by today's standards it is pretty good. With tire and suspension upgrades it will handle on par with a GT,  has a performance level near that of a 250 Ninja. 
     If you are seriously contemplating this bike, check compression and see if it smokes. If that is OK, then low ball them on the price and be prepared to spend $500 to $1500 with someone who knows what they are doing.