Author Topic: Himalayan  (Read 28403 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #60 on: July 17, 2016, 06:18:19 pm
Ok, then!  You've got a tremendous responsibility to this group if you're the first member to take a ride...  ;)

Don't forget pics! (except of the assless chaps)

Assless chaps on a trailie, shudder. :o
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #61 on: July 18, 2016, 05:20:31 pm
We took the Himalayn's on a nice little 100 mile ride on Sunday. Much thanks to our leader Bree and tour guide Brenda and everyone at RENA.
Some quick thoughts on the bike. Great guages, lots of info and easy to read. The bike has almost no vibration, at least compared to what I am used to riding. The motor feels very refined, flat power band, likes to be above 3K RPM. Little bit of valve tick, but at a reassuring, the valves aren't to tight level. Not loud valves save lives level.
The Chassis is great, comfortable. very stable. Shake the bars and it goes right back to straight with no fuss. The suspension has you looking for potholes, not avoiding them. Footpegs are in the right location for standing.
I would say excellent size for someone 5ft 3in to a little over 6 ft. I'm in the middle of that and it fits perfect. I find KLRs and the like to be to big for anything off the pavement.
Thats my take, any questions?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #62 on: July 18, 2016, 05:24:15 pm
We took the Himalayn's on a nice little 100 mile ride on Sunday.

Not your typical test ride; that's a day out!  Good on RENA...

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #63 on: July 18, 2016, 05:45:18 pm
Not to mention it was on Sunday.

TwowheeledTash

• Scooter
  • Marketing Manager, Royal Enfield North America
Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 12:30:58 am
That was a great day of riding! so glad you guys made the drive down and we could ride for that long! Next time we need to do some off roading on them!

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
  • 99999 km - Time to travel back in time...
Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 01:20:34 pm
Wow, I'm surprised that the Himalayan is generating so much interest in the US! I have been lurking around on Instagram quite a bit and saw several pictures of folks riding the Himalayan and posting positive feedback about it. I mentioned this on an Indian forum and an Arizona based gentleman pointed me here. It's good to see that RE is marketing the Himalayan like this but then it should not be too surprising since this is RE's new baby and possibly a new turning point for their presence in an evolving market.

I thought I should post my experience of a test ride here as well. This is my first post here in about half a decade!

The test ride bike was one of those used on the first journalist ride (first lot without the corrections) to Himachal Pradesh organised by RE. It had a lot of scrapes and dents from all the action it had seen.

Physical inspection notes:
1. Very little corrosion on some nuts, bolts and some weld joints in the chassis. Not bad at all. Most RE's rust a lot and quickly.
2. Once seated, ground clearance is about average, not a lot, but quite adequate. I weigh about 90 kilos.
3. The rear shock mount extends below the line of the chassis when seated. This might be a problem as I will mention later.
4. Instrument console is really cluttered and could be better designed and arranged.
5. General build quality is pretty good. Something not expected of RE. A pleasant surprise.
6. Oil cooler location could be better. It was caked with fine mud.

The ride (with a 50 kilo salesman riding pillion):
1. Took a long time to start. Several cranks of the starter before there was any life.
2. Once started, it would not idle. Idling rpm had to be raised.
3. Did a brake check after starting off. Brakes do their job. Rear brake has a sharp bite while front required a bear-like vice grip.
4. Opened the taps. Engine revved very freely (after a looong warm up) and the bike pulled very nicely. Not a beast and more power is needed but it didn't feel underpowered at all.
5. Picked up speed quickly but I was riding it like I ride my KTM Duke 200. Changed gears at 6000 rpm and it felt nice and smooth even at the limit when I hit 100kmph in 3rd gear.
6. But it didn't sound smooth at all. It had a valve train clatter like a Bullet with worn out rockers and valve guides. I heard the new rocker shaft solved this.
7. Not once did I hit 5th gear. Engaged 4th gear only once just for the sake of it. Gear indicator in the console has a long delay before it realises that you have shifted.
8. Very easy to maneuver through traffic regardless of speed.
9. Once took a corner too fast which made the salesman clench up and made me rethink my approach. The bike carried the speed through the corner very gracefully without springing any surprise or expressing disagreement.
10. The handling dynamics are very neutral so it is very rider friendly. That sweet gem of a chassis!
11. The front 21" wheel makes its present felt in the way bike responds to inputs on the handlebar. Gyroscopic effect was quite prominent but not a problem. Maybe I'm used to 17" rims now.
12. Suspension is stiff enough to provide good feedback but supple enough to absorb irregularities.
13. Rode over a small speedbreaker at high speed and the bike was very composed.
14. Found an open ground nearby and rode the bike over the very average sized kerb that surrounded. My KTM Duke 200 would easily go over it. The Himalayan bottomed out! The metallic thud could have been the centre stand or it could have been the rear shock mount.
15. Rode the bike through 1-2 feet wide smoothly graded craters and even took a U-turn through them and it was so easy even with a pillion rider! Handlebar height helped too.
16. Locked the rear wheel (with pillion rider) intentionally to check bite again and turned the bike 90 degrees on returning to the showroom. Very composed stance.
17. Idling rpm went up to 2000+ when we stopped (pilot mixture a bit lean maybe?) as the engine was proper hot.

Bottomline:
I wanted to trade in my Duke for a Himalayan right away but will wait for the initial issues to be sorted out. One guy has returned from Leh on his Himalayan and had to replace the 125 main jet with a 110 to cut the black smoke after going past 12000 feet above sea level. Will wait for his detailed travelogue. I'm craving for that bike now, though!
"If it ain't broke to bits, don't fix it!"

1979 Enfield India Bullet 350 "Old Faithful"
2012 KTM 200 Duke "Bad Puppy"
2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650

TwowheeledTash

• Scooter
Reply #66 on: July 28, 2016, 09:23:08 pm
We invited Cycle World out a few weeks ago and this is what they had to say

http://www.cycleworld.com/royal-enfield-himalayan-adventure-bike-motorcycle-review-first-impression#page-10

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: July 29, 2016, 04:12:39 pm
I think that qualifies as a nice write up. I need to know if and when they will come to the States, decisions need to be made. ;D
Roverman.

TwowheeledTash

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 05:55:52 pm
We are hoping to let you know that soon. Hang tight

I think that qualifies as a nice write up. I need to know if and when they will come to the States, decisions need to be made. ;D
Roverman.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #69 on: August 04, 2016, 08:42:09 pm
I'm sure many of you have seen this commercial for the Himalayan, but I just found it and it's awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc0-Ndu_rzI
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Otto_Ing

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #71 on: August 30, 2016, 01:40:24 pm
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/177285-royal-enfield-himalayan-comprehensive-review-desi-adventure-tourer-4.html#post4004749

...this is how a service is done on it.

Looks like the airbox cover is the same as the GT. I suspect that the Ace /Derottone airbox kit for the GT would bolt right on to it.
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #72 on: August 30, 2016, 02:28:33 pm
Looks like the airbox cover is the same as the GT. I suspect that the Ace /Derottone airbox kit for the GT would bolt right on to it.
 8)

...which is how I found this, searching for the Abx. I think it wont fit though unfortunatelly. It seams to be attached with only 3 bolts and the rain shield would be pointing backwards.

Anyway, it's the same crappy layout as the GT. Would be fun to make one Kit for this bike as well. I may order some Airbox atleast to look at, before the Himi comes to the EU market.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: September 07, 2016, 08:44:55 pm
Interview with Sidartha Lal on Himalayan assembly line, Oragadam India.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGi_wQSYcQ&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: September 08, 2016, 04:31:04 am
Your welcome firecaptp7!

I only watched the first installment during my break at work so far.  I really enjoyed seeing the inside of the factory and watching the assembly processes, the lady interviewer was interesting too. :o 

The interview was mostly concerning Sidartha's personal life. It was interesting though that he states the Himalayan was not his idea, but rather the result of a number of people's contributions. :)