Author Topic: Himalayan  (Read 28397 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
on: February 02, 2016, 11:22:59 am
The Himalayan unveil film is on YouTube.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:43:25 pm
That is an interesting video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMb_HSvGZyo

The press introduction of the Himalayan was not exactly up to BMW or Ducati standards (to say the least - it was out in the middle of nowhere and used a large background photo to simulate a Himalayan location), but it got the idea across.  I noted that there are no plans right now to export the Himalayan beyond India (which probably is a good idea with a brand new model).  The bike's price will not be announced until mid-March.  It is nice to see what appears to be a modern factory building the engine. Also the engine finally has a vibration balancer, no doubt a welcome addition to the design.  There was some mention of the instrument panel being able to provide a relatively wide range of information, such as a compass, but the display was not shown.

I was kind of taken aback when it was mentioned that RE had no idea how well the Himalayan would sell, as they felt it was going into an entirely new market category. They seemed to be saying that they felt that if they built it a new market would be established and it would sell, but they really have no idea in what volume. Kind of odd for a modern manufacturer of anything to make that statement.  ???

I really think the bike should do well in India as a practical vehicle (depending on the price), but they will have to keep building the Bullet to hang on to the traditionalists. I also got a kick out of one of the questions regarding RE's push for fancy boutique sales stores in India. The implication was that it might be going in the wrong direction for the typical India motorcycle customer. All in all an interesting and informative video. You can go to minute 30 and miss half an hour of hot air.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:14:41 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:13:34 pm
I think Richard makes some very good points. RE is opening a new market in India. Remember they virtually own the leisure bike market which was a happy acccident of the emerging middle class along with an iconic brand. I think India is ready for this next phase. You are also right that it may be a long time before we see them here because the bike has a carburetor. Here is my take on it and it is only a partial examination of the launch

Been a lot posted around the net today about the official introduction of the Himalayan and thought we would post from this Indian trade magazine to put it all together.
As the former US distributor we have been involved with bike development with RE for over 16 years. The Himalayan is without a doubt the best planned and executed launch ever done by the company illustrating it's growing sophistication.
The GT was "introduced" and promised for three consecutive years with no product available. When they were finally available it was long after the "fever" had passed. RE did not do a total reveal of the Himalayan until it was ready and apparently within a month of product actually being available. The Himalayan took much longer to develop than RE expected and kudos to them for waiting and getting it right.
I think that Royal Enfield hit the nail squarely on the head in design, performance and execution for it's intended market. The price is really aggressive and will position them perfectly in the marketplace. I think this is their best new offering ever for many reasons and could be the beginning of a new chapter for RE.
Two thumbs up! - Kevin Mahoney
http://www.indianbikenews.com/…/royal-enfield-himalayan.html
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:38:01 pm

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:21:16 pm

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:45:00 pm
I loved the A-Holes that commented below the rideapart  article. What the hell is wrong with people?
Roverman.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 11:42:43 pm
   Other than the one that gives his reasons up front why he'd never own a RE, most all the rest don't seem to have a clue.
   Personally, the damned thing is growing on me.   :o ;D
   I just can't reconcile the reasoning behind the two front mudguards, unless the upper is for deflecting splash from a creek or river.
   Or am I missing something?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:50:33 am
I loved the A-Holes that commented below the rideapart  article. What the hell is wrong with people?
Roverman.

Roverman - how many times have I told you (I know, probably none) - never read the comments...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 01:53:35 pm
   Other than the one that gives his reasons up front why he'd never own a RE, most all the rest don't seem to have a clue.
   Personally, the damned thing is growing on me.   :o ;D
   I just can't reconcile the reasoning behind the two front mudguards, unless the upper is for deflecting splash from a creek or river.
   Or am I missing something?
The other bikes in the category have high-mounted  front mudguard, so the Himalayan does too. Certain expected  styling accents are aimed at the category, regardless that the lower mudguard should do fine alone.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 02:50:40 pm
If you have ever ridden in clay/mud with a low mounted fender you would understand. Your front wheel will stop spinning if there is enough clay involved. Of course that doesn't explain the dual front fender set up.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 03:03:42 pm
If you have ever ridden in clay/mud with a low mounted fender you would understand. Your front wheel will stop spinning if there is enough clay involved. Of course that doesn't explain the dual front fender set up.

I think that is for looks.  I believe that BMW started the trend with their GS models and everyone else just followed the dual front fender "beak" styling when designing their ADV models. Now (I guess) dual front fenders are the mark of an dual-sport and ADV motorcycle design.   ::)  Apparently they don't seem to need them on true off-road motorcycles, though.   ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 03:20:34 pm
The Bullets which have been traversing the Himalayas for a half century all had regular mudguards. Suddenly a "need" for a faux high mudguard?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 09:12:48 pm
The upper "fender" is just a styling gimmick like the "spoiler" or "air dam" that was stuck on the back of unsporty cars to make them look sporty back in the '80's and 90's.

I suspect they started with the early ADV bikes and when they found the high mounted fender didn't work worth a damn except to deflect large rocks, they added a real fender down close to the wheel.

Of course by that time the high mounted fender had become "IT" and they couldn't take if off without spoiling the looks of the motorcycle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 01:08:44 pm
Right on Mattsz, i was bored, won't happen again. ;D ;D ;D

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 08:47:30 pm
 ;)