Author Topic: My battery died  (Read 10397 times)

krimp

• Grease Monkey
on: January 29, 2016, 10:17:06 pm
My AGM battery died on Wednesday. And it died quickly. I have already contacted the seller, who is going to honor the warranty as soon as I produce test results with a volt meter. I think that this is a reasonable request and will have a replacement sometime next week. If you are interested in finding out about the seller, please let me know.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 01:38:39 am
I like AGM batteries and I have them in both of my bikes. My experience with them is that they when they do go bad, they can do so quickly. Conventional wet batteries on the other hand usually get weak and give signs of it before they die completely.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 03:34:57 am
Guys,

how old were your AGM batteries when they died?  I replaced my original 2012 Electra's battery last summer with an AGM one.  It would be useful to have an idea how long it is liable to last.

Cheers,

Blair

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 04:30:22 am
.......... If you are interested in finding out about the seller, please let me know.

of course we are interested !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:33:14 am
My AGM battery died on Wednesday. And it died quickly..........

interesting ......   what are the symptoms?  voltmeter readings with the bike off ?  after you charge it for a few hours ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 07:45:36 am
Guys,

how old were your AGM batteries when they died?  I replaced my original 2012 Electra's battery last summer with an AGM one.  It would be useful to have an idea how long it is liable to last.

Cheers,

Blair

A good quality AGM battery can last a long time if not abused. The one in my Bullet was installed in 2006. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:58:13 am
  A good quality AGM battery can last a long time if not abused. The one in my Bullet was installed in 2006.
Thanks, mine is the one Hitchcocks sell for UCE electric start bullets, part number 146134A. It gets the odd trickle charge when the bike is laid up, and seems to have plenty of 'welly'.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 01:10:15 pm
The ones I've had in my Beemers over the years have lasted 5-6 years typically. The original wet cell one went at 6 years, so not much difference, but agm ones do tend to just die, in my experience. I still prefer them and intend to replace the wet cell original in my C5 with a Motobatt one.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 02:41:35 pm
I have had two BMW-brand, Exide AGM batteries that were manufactured in Germany and installed on the original bikes when I bought them new die without warning.  One lasted only 6 months and the other 24 months.  Both died without warning and without any symptoms while I was riding. They left me stranded by the side of the road (a jump start would not work), requiring a tow to the dealership to discover the fault.  Apparently they suffered internal mechanical shorts between the battery connectors.  Yuasa suffered similar problems with their flooded batteries about 15 years ago (sudden battery death syndrome).  It was apparently a manufacturing issue at the factory, which appears to have been resolved long ago.  All of the other non-BMW-brand AGM batteries that I have bought have never had a problem and I would buy another one, or a name-brand Lithium battery, without concern.  I just stay away from $160 BMW-brand AGM batteries that were manufactured in Germany, now.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 04:49:15 pm
I've had long life and good performance out of the Motobatt brand AGM.  I've had them in a couple of bikes and we use them at work for our quads and snowmobiles.  They seem to take deep cold well and last a long time if you leave them on a battery tender when not in use.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 04:53:49 pm
It's a while since I bought my last Exide; I sold my last BMW last year. All the BMW Exides I have owned have lasted 5 or 6 years; maybe I've been lucky. When the original wet cell battery went it was after a lengthy ride and I'd stopped to refuel, only half a mile from home. The starter would not engage with the flywheel. A helpful passer-by gave me a push and the engine started when I dropped the clutch in second (so in fact you can bump start an oilhead, at least when warm). I rode it home and, after stopping the engine, tried to restart it. Again, just the sound of grinding flywheel teeth. The lights etc all worked, so I reckon a cell had died, leaving insufficient cranking amps to start the motor.
Personally I don't think a lithium battery is justified on cost grounds on my RE, especially as I'd probably need another charger. The weight saving is miniscule in the overall scheme of things and I don't need the space that would be freed. But each to his own.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 05:09:43 pm
I have fitted a Motobat in my B5 after using one for a couple of years in my GL1200's.
Never had a problem with them, they seem to spin the engine faster making starting easier and last well when the bike is not used.
My NT700 still has the OEM AGM battery which when it eventually fails will be replaced with a Motobat version.
The reason I replaced the OEM battery in my Enfield, was due to the battery boiling, spitting out acid all over the engine cases and paintwork, it was only 12 months old when it failed. something I never want to see repeated!
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:18:16 pm
I have fitted a Motobat in my B5 after using one for a couple of years in my GL1200's.
Never had a problem with them, they seem to spin the engine faster making starting easier and last well when the bike is not used.

The reason I replaced the OEM battery in my Enfield, was due to the battery boiling, spitting out acid all over the engine cases and paintwork, it was only 12 months old when it failed. something I never want to see repeated!
+1,  BIG LESSON THERE. Puking acid all over your hard earned treasure - is reason enough to NEVER USE ANOTHER LEAD ACID BATTERY. The moment AGM's came along I changed over. They were very expensive at first, but brands like Motobatt purchased on line can save a lot of $$.  Sellers compete on Ebay.
Happy Trails, Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 01:26:42 am
I put a MotoBatt in my 2013 B5 about 3 months ago, and it is doing fine. But I have bought 3-4 AGM batteries over the past few years from Batteries Plus, and they all died a quick death. Fortunately BP honored the warranties. My favorite brand of AGM battery is WestCo, and out of 7-8 of them, I only had one fail to last 5 years, and the bike it was in had a charging problem. But they don't have a listing for RE. They probably do have a battery that will fit fine, but they don't list the dimensions on their website.

Another thing that I believe has contributed to my battery life over the past several years is that I started using battery tenders. I use them religiously. I never let a bike sit without the battery tender being hooked up. It can be a hassle depending on how many bikes you have, but IMO is worth it. Before going that route, I would let batteries get weak, then recharge them. That definitely has a negative affect on battery life. The other thing is that even if I don't ride the bike for a while, I still start it up and warm it up once in a while. While a bike is idling, it is usually draining the battery, the charging system does not put out enough current to run the lights at idle. The red light will come on the tender for a few minutes after shutting off the engine, then turn green again.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 03:05:25 am
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:07:59 am by sparklow »
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet