Author Topic: Here comes the Himalayan  (Read 8706 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
ACE Motors - sales & administration

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 08:44:17 am
That's a good read with some very valid real world points, especially about the unsuitablity of the big adventure bikes in Himalayan terrain, which I totally agree with. It'll be interesting to see what the press say, although I very much doubt if they will test them in their true environment. Unless RE launch the bike in the Himalayas of course. :)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 10:27:23 am
That's a good read with some very valid real world points, especially about the unsuitablity of the big adventure bikes in Himalayan terrain, which I totally agree with. It'll be interesting to see what the press say, although I very much doubt if they will test them in their true environment. Unless RE launch the bike in the Himalayas of course. :)

It's a great idea... do you suppose they'd have the nerve?

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 12:03:45 pm
It's a great idea... do you suppose they'd have the nerve?
Well they came all the way from India to the Ace Cafe London to launch the GT. The Himalayas is in their own back yard.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 12:07:23 am
Well they came all the way from India to the Ace Cafe London to launch the GT. The Himalayas is in their own back yard.

True... but for the GT launch, they came to "us".  For a Himalayas launch, "we all" would have to be willing to go to them...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:21:39 am
True... but for the GT launch, they came to "us".  For a Himalayas launch, "we all" would have to be willing to go to them...
Most of the voices on the U.K. launch film were Australian and American, I wonder if they all payed their own way? It's cheaper to fly a bunch of people to the Himalayas than it is to fly a bunch of Himalayans to the people. :) ;)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 12:28:47 am
It's cheaper to fly a bunch of people to the Himalayas than it is to fly a bunch of Himalayans to the people. :) ;)

That's probably true!

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 10:28:26 pm
Knock me over with a feather.  I've always thought the concept of this bike was pretty silly.  I thought, "It certainly won't offer anything over a real adventure bike, and it'll suffer from quality issues and won't perform to the level of anything competing.  I know it will sell like hotcakes as a style statement of younger riders in India, but I still think it's the answer to the question nobody asked."

After shutting up and listening (reading) I see some actual virtue in the product they're selling, especially the fuel and maintenance aspects.  Still, given the choice, I'd probably prefer an older Japanese 4-stroke big-single enduro in the same environment over either an "adventure bike" or the new Enfield.  But I'm not scorning the very idea of its existence anymore.

They should have kept the aesthetics of the proto bikes show in that airfield shot, tho.  Simple plastic off-road tank would have been smart, too, but then again it can't be dodgily repaired by a roadside mechanic while you watch from across the street, sipping a 5-rupee chai and wondering whether he's going to immolate himself (and the remnants of your tank) in the process.

Ed:  I also really like the footpeg positioning.  I would have guessed they set it up like a chair and not a bike meant for posting up.  Second feather, knock me over again.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:17 pm
Launch tomorrow 2nd February.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 02:54:32 pm

Jump to 20:00 or so for the actual launch video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMb_HSvGZyo
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 02:11:20 am
I didn't realise it still has a carburettor!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 05:29:48 am
Great video AmBraCol!  It really made me appreciate what this bike is. I wonder what the price (only available in India) will be?
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:55:32 pm
If you ask me Mr. Lal could use a shave and a haircut.  You would think he could afford them.  ::) 
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 05:16:04 am
 410 long stroke and listen to the thump starting at 21 min, 56 sec.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 02:15:24 pm
I hope it does well, because it would be good for the brand, and would provide money for them to make something else that I might like more than an ADV bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !