Author Topic: 2005 Royal Enfield ES 500. Only 565 miles! Mint... Sale Price $3800.00  (Read 7088 times)

modeler

• Neophyte
            a
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:29:48 am by Royal Enfield 1 »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22

Ohh,, forget it,, I  just saw your other post...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:22:34 pm by Gary-FL »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

LJRead

$3,800 for what its owner calls a "piece of crap"? :)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
$3,800 for what its owner calls a "piece of crap"? :)

"yes -    but it's good crap...."
                  - ala Firesign Theatre...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Can you say "schizophrenic"? :o
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
I like all the replies. I hope he didn't try to ride it like a crotch rocket. That could have something to do with it. Just kidding. Every company has built a lemon, and it has gotten to the public. It is just to bad Modeler will always hate RE's because of it. I have had good and bad Hondas, good and bad Triumphs, good and bad Harleys, good and bad Suzukis. , lets not leave out the bad and good Fords and GM products. I think they call it the luck of the draw. Sorry for your bad draw Modeler. I have been there myself. Who am I kidding, I'm there now, but I still love all bikes, especially my Bullet. We will be getting a lot closer in the future. Kind of a hands on relationship. I love tearing things apart, putting them back together, and the feeling I get when all things are "right" with the world again. I think they call that satisfaction from a job well done.   Hutch
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:35:42 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
I don't know the age of Modeler but I am betting he's under 40. I have to believe the younger guys with no Old britbike/harley experience will allways have the most issues with RE's. As far as the defect issues go, yes all machines have them, but the Enfield has to be the Amy Winehouse of motorcycling.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
I look at all my Bullets, and my previous other bikes, as "works in progress", all the time.

The idea that I'm just supposed to go out and sit on it and ride it like an "appliance" is not even in my vocabulary.
I think that's something that Japanese bikes are supposed to do, or something like that.

If I didn't have a bike that I could fiddle with and modify, and need work, then I'd have to sell it immediately as being "no fun".

All 3 of my Bullets were either bought as basket cases, or built up from a bare frame. I have one running, and the other 2 in various stages of build/modification.
That's at least half the fun of owning a Bullet.

If I wanted a soul-less appliance, I'd buy a rice-rocket.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:28:27 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Coronach

• Bulleteer
  • I don't get stressed, but I am a carrier
As far as the defect issues go, yes all machines have them, but the Enfield has to be the Amy Winehouse of motorcycling.
Tryin' to take me back to the dealer and I say "no, no, no."

Mike :D
Columbus, OH
2008 Black Classic ES "Last One"
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
I look at all my Bullets, and my previous other bikes, as "works in progress", all the time.

The idea that I'm just supposed to go out and sit on it and ride it like an "appliance" is not even in my vocabulary.
I think that's something that Japanese bikes are supposed to do, or something like that.

If I didn't have a bike that I could fiddle with and modify, and need work, then I'd have to sell it immediately as being "no fun".

All 3 of my Bullets were either bought as basket cases, or built up from a bare frame. I have one running, and the other 2 in various stages of build/modification.
That's at least half the fun of owning a Bullet.

If I wanted a soul-less appliance, I'd buy a rice-rocket.
Alas, I found someone else with the same outlook as mine. I couldn't have said it more eloquently myself. That is the difference between a "biker" and a motorcycle rider. Bikers are hard to find now a days, with the platinum card generation. Most of the 30 some bikes I have owned, over 43 years were basket cases. I enjoyed every good and bad day during the long search for parts , the building, and the feeling  I got when it was a whole, perfectly running machine.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

DireWolf

My RE has been a massive pain in the @$$, but Forum rules and etiquette prevent me from:

1.moaning about it incessantly on an open forum hosted by the importer

2. trying to openly sell it on the boards

It'll come around, sooner or later.

erob123

• Bulleteer
Been alittle intimidated by whats to come.  I'm at 650 miles on 08 and read the forum all the time.  Still having slight problems in the down shift and also acouple of die-outs with cars up the butt at light. Dealer a 300 mile round trip. Got alittle down yesterday. Feel better know. Thanks.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Been alittle intimidated by whats to come.  I'm at 650 miles on 08 and read the forum all the time.  Still having slight problems in the down shift and also acouple of die-outs with cars up the butt at light. Dealer a 300 mile round trip. Got alittle down yesterday. Feel better know. Thanks.

The shifting improves after the 1000 mark, now that I am at 1300 miles it seems smooth.  I've developed a lazy starter but the kick start works well so no problem.

I work with a motorcycle guy, he had me richen my carb a bit (turned that screw next to the idle knob on the carb a 1/4 turn) and sped up my idle,  both helped.  I have no die out troubles except when she is cold. 

Love the quirks of this bike, and enjoy dirty finger nails.

Gary

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead

I work with a motorcycle guy, he had me richen my carb a bit (turned that screw next to the idle knob on the carb a 1/4 turn) and sped up my idle,  both helped.  I have no die out troubles except when she is cold. 

Love the quirks of this bike, and enjoy dirty finger nails.

Gary

The screw you referred to is the pilot jet.  It is not a main jet and does not effect anything after transition from idle.

Your owners manual has a section on adjusting the pilot in conjunction with the large knurled idle RPM adjustment knob.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

deejay

I don't know the age of Modeler but I am betting he's under 40. I have to believe the younger guys with no Old britbike/harley experience will allways have the most issues with RE's.

Watch it buddy!  ;D I bought mine when I was 29 a few years ago and have had no real problems to speak of. Maybe I'm a rarity among my age group, but I enjoy all aspects of the classic bike experience. Good times!