Author Topic: Bridgestone BT45 tire mounting?  (Read 5240 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: January 24, 2016, 06:35:41 pm
I see in the archives that a number of you are happy with BT45 tires.

I just mounted a front - it was a bear to get onto the rim, but I managed it.  Only, the bead won't seat properly - it won't expand completely.  Sighting that line around the rim near the bead shows it dipping down beneath the rim about 12 inches on one edge.  I've tried deflating and re-inflating multiple times; I sprayed windex as a lubricant all the way round between the bead and the rim in hopes of getting it to slide into position.  Pressure up to about 36psi... no joy.

Suggestions?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:12:56 pm
Never tried it on a motorcycle tire, but try putting a ratchet strap around the contact surface of the tire and tighten it until the tire starts to squish.  I wouldn't squish too much because of the tube, but inflate the tire with the strap around it.  This forces the beads of the tire outward.  Works on go kart tires anyway.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:44:43 pm
I see in the archives that a number of you are happy with BT45 tires.

I just mounted a front - it was a bear to get onto the rim, but I managed it.  Only, the bead won't seat properly - it won't expand completely.  Sighting that line around the rim near the bead shows it dipping down beneath the rim about 12 inches on one edge.  I've tried deflating and re-inflating multiple times; I sprayed windex as a lubricant all the way round between the bead and the rim in hopes of getting it to slide into position.  Pressure up to about 36psi... no joy.

Suggestions?
Double check you've got plenty tyre soap on the tyre where it slips into the bead, if you're using a decent compressor take out the valve core to let the air in faster and (at you own risk) use a bit more pressure. I used BT 45's on my old BMW and have seen the gauge go well over 50psi before they seated properly. Obviously it'll deflate when you disconnect the inflator, so you need to replace the core and re-inflate. Good luck.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:50:52 am
Thanks guys!  I'll fight with it some more today...

This isn't a "side-of-the-road" job any more, is it?  At least, not with this particular tire!  The front K70 went on and off using drinking straws for tire levers, and seated using a hand pump...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:54:45 pm
Both tires mounted.  8)

I couldn't find a ratchet strap, Scottie, so I filed that idea away for future reference.

Malky, it was your idea that was the most helpful, I think... pull the valve stem core and blast air in.  The tire inflates quickly, just a handful of seconds, and deflates almost as quickly!  The tire sidewall-stamped maximum pressure is 42psi, so I set my compressor regulator to about 40 lbs for starters.

I've heard that Windex (glass cleaner) was an effective lubricant that dries quickly; that's what I have on hand, so that's what I used.  What I ended up doing was laying the wheel on its side (on top of the old tire to keep the rim and brake parts off the floor), and applying Windex to the "trouble" spot that wasn't popping into place.  Then I pushed in and unseated the tire across the rim from the trouble spot and knelt on it to hold it down in the center rim depression, in hopes that the trouble spot would rise and pop into place.  At first, the seat I was holding down with my knees rose back into place, lifting me with it, so I removed the air hose (the tire quickly deflated again) and repeated the procedure, exercising the trouble spot and making sure it remained well lubricated.  As I repeated the procedure, between slightly adjusting my weight on the tire, and, I believe, the residual Windex under my knees drying to diminished effectiveness, eventually the bead popped evenly into place.  Flip the wheel and repeat.  Took a little time, but it's done now!

As I said before... I could easily have changed those K70 tires on the side of the road... not these babies!

Thanks again, guys!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:17:39 pm by mattsz »

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:29:47 pm
I had a couple of punctures with these on my BM. Had to use the center stand to break the bead.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:36:37 pm
It may take 60 or 70 lbs to bead it. Not uncommon. I start to get nervous when it gets to triple digits. Probably explode around 200.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:43:12 pm
mid-40's in this case... see above.  It's possible, I guess, that if I had just put more corn to it, it might have seated itself without other hassle.

I'd be nervous indeed about triple digits!  Warnings abound about not over-inflating tires when seating the bead - but if it doesn't seat, I guess you gotta do something!

My compressor doesn't go up to 200... whew!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:58:50 pm
I recently replaced the front tire on my daughter's BMW R65LS and had quite a problem getting the bead to seat.  I was using a new tube and put about 60 pounds of air in the tire.  Unfortunately, the new tube split.  So I had to reuse the old tube, which was a littler larger in cross section than the new tube and then I was able to get the tire seated on the rim, using 50 psi and lots of soapy lube. Some tires go on easily and some do not - and I don't have a clue why.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 04:19:02 pm
Getting the factory Avon's off my bike was a real challenge.  I ended up taking them into a shop to have them changed...and I don't give up easy.

I've changed a few tires in my day, but these were the worst I ever attempted.  I'd say almost impossible on the side of the road.

I'm glad to hear that the K70's that I have on there now are much more manageable.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

PerazziMx14

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 11:33:35 am
I have a NoMar tire changer and easily change 30 or 40 tires a year. Some tires take lots of pressure to set no matter how good the wheel and tire are lubricated. 70 or 80 PSI is not uncommon tube and/or tubeless.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 11:07:44 pm
I have a NoMar tire changer and easily change 30 or 40 tires a year. Some tires take lots of pressure to set no matter how good the wheel and tire are lubricated. 70 or 80 PSI is not uncommon tube and/or tubeless.

And does it live up to its name with aluminum rims?

I can handle the process I just completed occasionally - the once every year or two I need to change tires.  But as I said, I couldn't do it on the road...

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 01:04:16 am
Mattsz,

I have the No-Mar Cycle Hill tire changer, it does live up to its name on all wheels, steel aluminum and mags.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

PerazziMx14

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 10:33:09 am
And does it live up to its name with aluminum rims?

I can handle the process I just completed occasionally - the once every year or two I need to change tires.  But as I said, I couldn't do it on the road...

It certainly does. I have easily changes 125 tires in my three years on owning the No-Mar and am completely satisfied with it.