Author Topic: Sad Day Today  (Read 8576 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 11:57:07 pm
Hutch when you post or reply at the bottom of the box your typing in is an "Additional Options"
button. Click there and select "Choose File". You'll be given options to select the picture off your computer. Click the picture and choose select.

I think that is very close to how it goes.  You won't have any trouble figuring it out if I missed a step.

Phil

josepharra48

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 01:48:07 am
Before you do anything else remove both hoses from the catch can and the engine. check to see if they are stopped up with white goo. This same thing has happened to me on 2 occasions and both time I imagined the worse ( blown engine ) and both times it was a blocked hose from the center of the engine to the crankcase. It is hard to believe that such a simple thing can cause such rapid oil blowby but it can. On one occasion the catch can had goo in it but the second time there was very little goo in it. I replaced both of my hoses with clear hose so I can see if there is a build up of goo.

good luck
josepharra

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 01:50:14 pm
Before you do anything else remove both hoses from the catch can and the engine. check to see if they are stopped up with white goo. This same thing has happened to me on 2 occasions and both time I imagined the worse ( blown engine ) and both times it was a blocked hose from the center of the engine to the crankcase. It is hard to believe that such a simple thing can cause such rapid oil blowby but it can. On one occasion the catch can had goo in it but the second time there was very little goo in it. I replaced both of my hoses with clear hose so I can see if there is a build up of goo.

good luck
josepharra
Thanks, I will try that this afternoon. The catch can had very little goo or oil in it at all. It seems like if the hose was plugged, no oil would be able to shoot out of it all over the bike. The hose from the catch can was never hooked up to the air cleaner and just layed on the top of the air cleaner box. It never even left an oil smudge on the top of the air cleaner box. It now shoots oil out about a foot onto the garage floor at anything over an idle. I will try that though. It wouldn't be the first time something worked, and I didn't see how. Wrenching on bikes for 43 years doesn't mean I know everything. I learn something new every day.  PhilJ, I just tried what you said about posting pictures, and all I get after getting it from my personal file and try to insert it is the 2 image marks and nothing in between them. I have to go get my weekly blood test, so I will try later. Hutch
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:12:36 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 02:58:29 pm
I took another look at posting the pic.
The above is correct but after the last thing I said you'll notice to the right of choose file some info describing your pic. At that point you select the choose file again and the up loading of your picture will begin. It may take awhile to up load as up loading is always slower than down loading. It will also depend on your connection speed.

Phil

DaveG

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 06:43:58 pm
There's another tread on this site discussing the breather system.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,2308.msg22915.html#msg22915

FYI

73 de dave G7NCB with Mac Pro and 05 Electra X from the Isle of Axholme UK
73 de Dave G7NCB from the Isle of Axholme UK (MacPro and OSX.4.11) and 05 Electra X

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 07:07:27 pm
I took another look at posting the pic.
The above is correct but after the last thing I said you'll notice to the right of choose file some info describing your pic. At that point you select the choose file again and the up loading of your picture will begin. It may take awhile to up load as up loading is always slower than down loading. It will also depend on your connection speed.

Phil
It sure sounds easier than the way you do it on other sites. You have to use a web host (Bike Pics)and find the picture, right click and select properties, highlight the URL, click ok, then go back to your post and right click inserting the URL, highlight the URL then hit insert image. I could never post it right from my own personal files on my computer. I will try again. With my slow 53.2 Dial up it might take a while, but it sure sounds easier. Thanks again Phil J. Here goes nothing.  

Like I said.......nothing. I browse my pictures, select the picture, hit open file, waited 15 minutes and all I get is the above image symbols. No picture. I never have been able to post a picture to this site. Only put 3 in the members rides from the BikePics
web host. I just tried "searching" for my pictures in the members rides and can't find them. The only way I can find them is to go to "my images". I have tried the long way with cut and paste, it won't give me the paste option when I right click, only undo, delete, and select all, no paste option. I ried the long way taking the properties of the picture as described above and got the same options when right clicking. I have now tried it 4 times your way and nothing. If you want to see my bike it is in the "members rides" section. I can't find it by searching, only by choosing "my images". I give up. I have no problem posting the long way to other sites. I can even post multiple pictures to other sites. I can't post any pictures here unless it is to my members rides section and brought from BikePics the long way. Sorry!, Just not meant to be I guess. My computer is only 3 years old. A Dell B120 Inspiron laptop with WindowsXP. It has all the spyware and virus protection updated by me every week. No problems ever......just this site.   Hutch

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 07:40:21 pm
Sorry I got side tracked with the picture thing. Not meant to be for me on this site. I checked the crankcase breather hoses and they are not plugged. I pulled my compression gauge out and I only have 52 pounds instead of the 110psi. It looks like I have to rebuild the 68 BSA top end and do the same to the Bullet Classic this winter. I just hope I didn't scar up the cyclinder wall to bad driving 30 miles at 30mph to get home. It ran perfect with all kinds of power for only having 52psi in the motor. Good old Brit bikes for you, they run no matter what. I do have one other option that I was considering since I bought the bike. I have a Triumph upswept fishtail exhaust pipe on the bike and always thought it would look good with 2 of them. I know for a fact that a early(1953-1963) 700cc twin motor out of a RE Meteor, RE Indian, or RE Constellation or Galaxy will fit in the frame. They range from 35HP to 52HP depending on what one you get. The 1953 Meteor(35hp)was using the exact frame the Bullet  Classic uses. If I have to spend a lot of money to rebuild the Classic motor, I might just go with an early 700cc motor Instead. It would be kickstart only, right shift 4 speed(like Brit bikes are suppose to be), newer models with more HP had 12 volt electrics. It is almost a direct bolt in from what an expert who raced them told me. A 2005 Bullet Classic, with a 50's-60's 700cc twin in it sounds like a conversation piece to me. I know I love my 1967 Royal Enfield Interceptor MK1A(750cc). If it would run half as good as the Interceptor does, I would be very happy. Decisions, decisions, I guess the teardown will tell it all.   Hutch
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:55:12 pm by hutch »

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 12:02:47 am
Hutch, it's good to hear that you found the problem. The possible future project with the 700cc twin sounds great.. I think that the Enfield twins were some of the most beautiful motors ever made. My first great  motorcycle love ,(actually it was pure lust), was a Mark I Interceptor. Please keep us posted and good luck. cochi :)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 12:23:32 am
I pulled my compression gauge out and I only have 52 pounds instead of the 110psi. It looks like I have to rebuild the 68 BSA top end and do the same to the Bullet Classic this winter.  Hutch

I have heard of cases of sudden compression loss and with spewing and it turns out to be a chunk of carbon stuck in the de-comp valve.  Sometimes it would work its way out and on others the de-comp would have to be pulled and cleaned up.  For what it's worth.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:25:49 am by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 01:14:04 am
i've never had a piece of crap when it came to 2 wheels..  nor 4 wheels either for that matter.  just different times..   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KyYv2UXDoQ  memories yaLL, elvis

LJRead

Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 03:46:31 am
I know for a fact that a early(1953-1963) 700cc twin motor out of a RE Meteor, RE Indian, or RE Constellation or Galaxy will fit in the frame. They range from 35HP to 52HP depending on what one you get. The 1953 Meteor(35hp)was using the exact frame the Bullet  Classic uses. If I have to spend a lot of money to rebuild the Classic motor, I might just go with an early 700cc motor Instead. It would be kickstart only, right shift 4 speed(like Brit bikes are suppose to be), newer models with more HP had 12 volt electrics. It is almost a direct bolt in from what an expert who raced them told me. A 2005 Bullet Classic, with a 50's-60's 700cc twin in it sounds like a conversation piece to me. I know I love my 1967 Royal Enfield Interceptor MK1A(750cc). If it would run half as good as the Interceptor does, I would be very happy. Decisions, decisions, I guess the teardown will tell it all.   Hutch

Naw - by my addition you have at least three or four twins now - better keep it as it is to offset all the others.  Still....

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 02:52:22 pm
Thanks for all the replies, and encouragement. I think I will try checking out the decomp first before tearing down the motor. It seems if that were the problem I would hear the leak and it wouldn't cause too much pressure in the crank, only less if the 3 rings were solid on the piston, but you never know. The plug was oil soaked also. I do love NGK plugs, it never missed a beat for the whole 30 miles and still started up several times after getting home. I put a new plug in and it got oil soaked in no time. I won't be able to tear the bike down and fix it until next year, but will let you know what was wrong and let you know what I decided to do as far as fixing it. LJ, You are correct. I only have the 68 BSA 441 and the Bullet as far as 1 cyclinders go. Both are now down for repairs. I do like my singles, and the different sound and feel. Cochi, I know what you mean about the look of the RE twins. I didn't care for the newer look of the the 68-70 Interceptor motor. That is why I bought the 67MK1A Interceptor with the old style motor. I saw that bike when I was 16 years old and wanted one from then on. 39 years later I found one and just love it. If everything would just quit going wrong, I might get the Interceptor looking as good as I have got it running. Thanks again everyone.    Hutch

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 04:19:25 pm
You also could just have a small hole in the crown of the piston that burned thru, and that would pump the oil out real bad, but the bore/barrel could be fine.
That would only require a good clean-out, and a new std. piston.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 02:32:27 pm
You also could just have a small hole in the crown of the piston that burned thru, and that would pump the oil out real bad, but the bore/barrel could be fine.
I should be so lucky, but that would be nice. The bike has been rejetted and piped a long time ago. It doesn't run lean. The pipe is just a gold color at the first bend with no blue anywhere. It sure would be great if that is all that is wrong. Thanks for giving me hope Ace. I love the bike with stock bore and performance mods. I have built motorcycle and hot rod motors for years, and they always were fun, but needed a lot more attention. I never built just the top end without beefing up the bottom, and that is more money yet. I am leaning towards a stock 1960 something 700cc twin, more than a 536cc with beefed bottom end. Riding a retro 700 Meteor would be cool. I like being different. This winter I will find out what is up, and which way I go. I hope you are right Ace, I will miss the single thump since I plan on selling the 68 441 BSA after a topend job this winter.    Hutch

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 02:59:26 pm
I should be so lucky, but that would be nice. The bike has been rejetted and piped a long time ago. It doesn't run lean. The pipe is just a gold color at the first bend with no blue anywhere. It sure would be great if that is all that is wrong. Thanks for giving me hope Ace. I love the bike with stock bore and performance mods. I have built motorcycle and hot rod motors for years, and they always were fun, but needed a lot more attention. I never built just the top end without beefing up the bottom, and that is more money yet. I am leaning towards a stock 1960 something 700cc twin, more than a 536cc with beefed bottom end. Riding a retro 700 Meteor would be cool. I like being different. This winter I will find out what is up, and which way I go. I hope you are right Ace, I will miss the single thump since I plan on selling the 68 441 BSA after a topend job this winter.    Hutch

Okay, well if you decide to go that route, and you decide to sell the engine parts and gearbox, please let me know, because I may be in a position to buy them from you. I'm getting a little supply of the major parts together, so that I can have spares if something big happens to my engine. That's why I have a want-ad up here for buying blown or dead engines and parts.
Home of the Fireball 535 !