HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Built like a gun !

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2017, 07:38:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 51606 times)

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Re: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?
« Reply #615 on: May 22, 2017, 01:30:05 am »
Went out to the garage and stared at it till my doffee was cold.
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

Jako

• Scooter
« Reply #616 on: May 29, 2017, 05:18:35 am »
I'm sure Otto won't mind me replying to your question.

During the discussions about modding the GT on the Ace head thread, setting the proper squish distance was addressed. To do this, the barrel needs to be shortened by a small amount, thus raising the piston higher in the bore, so it comes closer to the head.
This raises the compression because it reduces the volume of the combustion chamber at TDC.
The piston being close to the head at TDC at the proper squish distance causes more mixture motion during combustion which helps to stave off any detonation that might accompany the compression increase.

It is a serendipitous type of mod that raises compression and staves off detonation at the same time.
  :)

Hi,  Is it only the 535 GT barrels that are  out of  spec (squish distance) ?  do  the 500  UCE barrels  also require correction    ?
B5 2013  CT110 2011

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
« Reply #617 on: May 29, 2017, 07:36:32 am »

Hi,  Is it only the 535 GT barrels that are  out of  spec (squish distance) ?  do  the 500  UCE barrels  also require correction    ?

Yes, the 500 has the same issue, in the ones that I have seen.

krusty

• Bulleteer
« Reply #618 on: May 29, 2017, 01:16:58 pm »
Raised my clip ons above the top yoke, as stock, in preparation for a two-up seat. I think this will be a nicer prospect for wifey, rather than me being crouched over the clocks and her with full on wind blast.
Hope to have the new seat in a week or so. 150 including tax from my local RE dealer.
I'm toying with some flat bars also, but more of that later.
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #619 on: May 31, 2017, 01:23:35 pm »
  I installed a blank plug cover on my air box. I attached a PCV valve on the right side crank case. I ran a length clear tube, pointing it down to the chain. Ace showed this set up on his bike. That's his pic last.
  After parking I noticed the tube had percolated some water out of the motor. It was warm, humid and I thought it might rain. That's been the weather here lately. Obviously, there must have been some water in the engine and the oil.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Live slow, die whenever
« Reply #620 on: June 03, 2017, 10:00:03 pm »
I took my GT to the track for a ride day. Mine was the only old school sort of bike there and of course was the slowest, but i still managed to get held up in the bends by riders on faster bikes going slow through the bends then flying off down the straights. Was good when those guys got far enough ahead that I didn't catch them by the next corner. The GT handled the thrashing just fine. Was a lot of fun taking good lines and playing with lean angles without worrying about there being gravel on the road or a car coming the other way on the wrong side. i'd do it again, for sure.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Suzuki Savage bobber
Pantah
Monster
DR250
TRX850

krusty

• Bulleteer
« Reply #621 on: June 04, 2017, 11:34:30 am »
Now the pillion seat has been fitted, I decided me and the mrs should give it a whirl. We headed out for a 60-70 mile round trip to a local transport cafe between Ashford and Sellinge in Kent. The wife isn't a good pillion rider...prefers her own bike. But we soon settled into a groove and the ride was very pleasant. The CGT was quite at home two up. Performance was fine and the brakes still felt strong. Handling was as ever, predictable and taught...but never uncomfortable.  Only thing I did before the ride was put a few extra lbs in the rear tyre. I'm 6' 2" and 13st 7lbs, wifeys 5'1 and lightly padded.
Krusty

Richard Ebersole

• Love my Enfield
  • Neophyte
« Reply #622 on: June 05, 2017, 10:58:27 pm »
I made a rack for mine....using some scrap metal ..
Ride when I can , modify when I can 😍

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #623 on: June 05, 2017, 11:09:45 pm »
be interesting to hear how it affects the handling when you have a load on board. I'm tipping it causes the bike to weave a bit at highway speed.
Continental GT
Suzuki Savage bobber
Pantah
Monster
DR250
TRX850

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #624 on: June 05, 2017, 11:15:11 pm »
I pulled out the auto decompressor to see if it gets rid of the jingling clanking rattle my engine has always had. holy moly the rotor was on there tight. the nyloc nut was pretty loose but the rotor was glued to the tapered shaft withsome kind of thread locking compound. came off with a bang.
Continental GT
Suzuki Savage bobber
Pantah
Monster
DR250
TRX850

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #625 on: June 06, 2017, 01:41:03 pm »
I made a rack for mine....using some scrap metal ..

Good job on the rack. Probably won't do anything to the handling. A true handling machine will likely stay that way, barring some very out of balance load. I had big Givi rear cases on a VFR750 and a Yamaha FJR1300. I never knew they were back there.
  I've seen so many commuters with milk crates on the back. Butt ugly, but I guess it's practical and I never heard of any wipe outs.

krusty

• Bulleteer
« Reply #626 on: June 06, 2017, 03:47:49 pm »
Hi Richard, nice rack... :o
I hope you've thought about what will happen when the rear end compresses over bumps.
I would think the connection between the frame and swing arm could lead to some iffy handling if it was allowed to bind up.
I hope not to offend with my comment...only I'd hate for something to go wrong.
Krusty

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #627 on: June 06, 2017, 04:10:44 pm »
Oh snap! I didn't even notice that! Well spotted, krusty. Richard, take those struts a bit further forward and use the footpeg mounts as pickup points.
Guiare, no doubt you're right about it being fine most of the time and I'm certainly not hating on the rack. It's certainly mostly functional. But being so far behind the wheel, once there's a touring size load on there, it's going to affect it. a milk crate with a bit of shopping, popping around town, not so much. Speaking from experience, My GT weaved a bit at 120kph with a  full 40 (or was it 60?) litre bag and a friend's backpack and the load is closer to the back wheel on my bike. My Pantah does it too, it's a PITA. But reverse the bag so it's on the back seat (or grab a pillion) and the problem resolves itself. My touring bikes have all been a lot lighter than your VFR or FJ and more at the mercy of added weight and out of trim loads. Except my K75S. Could put as much on that thing as I liked. Your Givi cases would have had a bit of R&D gone into them to make them not affect the handling no doubt. Anyway, it won't be a worry unless Richard is hitting highway speeds with a  full load.
Continental GT
Suzuki Savage bobber
Pantah
Monster
DR250
TRX850

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #628 on: June 09, 2017, 10:52:09 am »
Gizzo - Those Givi cases looked like Italian aerodynamic lumps back there. They probably were doing a good job of drawing the air flow.
  VFRs and FJRs are definitely heavyweights. For more 'normal' bikes, I prefer saddlebags. They put the weight lower and less likely to affect handling. You're right about a rear rack. I consider them extra space, hopefully without going to high and heavy. Maybe Richard will find an aerodynamic bag for back there.

oTTo

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #629 on: June 18, 2017, 06:44:09 am »
...now my turn to be loosing the tail light. Shall see if it can be epoxied or if it needs replacement.

Anyone who modded it and wants to sell the original?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:43:24 pm by oTTo »