Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 390852 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #525 on: January 22, 2017, 11:39:17 pm
I think it's fair to say that it was a much happier motor than stock. More torque in the low range, revving freely till 5000 rpm, about 6 horses over stock and no pinging and knocking. I am happy with the result and I was beating it a lot this season as I was the least powerful bike in the gang.

Otto, what did you do to get the compression increase? I haven't checked in on the GT side of the forum much lately and didn't see what you did
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #526 on: January 23, 2017, 04:46:36 am
Otto, what did you do to get the compression increase? I haven't checked in on the GT side of the forum much lately and didn't see what you did
I'm sure Otto won't mind me replying to your question.

During the discussions about modding the GT on the Ace head thread, setting the proper squish distance was addressed. To do this, the barrel needs to be shortened by a small amount, thus raising the piston higher in the bore, so it comes closer to the head.
This raises the compression because it reduces the volume of the combustion chamber at TDC.
The piston being close to the head at TDC at the proper squish distance causes more mixture motion during combustion which helps to stave off any detonation that might accompany the compression increase.

It is a serendipitous type of mod that raises compression and staves off detonation at the same time.
  :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #527 on: January 23, 2017, 05:16:19 am
Interesting stuff. I knew Hitchcocks sold a thinner base gasket that would give the same net effect to a lesser degree, but I can see how reworking the barrel would allow you better control of the situation
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #528 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:58 am
Just had my first MIL light today. The engine gave a couple of shudders and picked up again but idled high. Was nice that I could ride home. Tested the code and I found it quite difficult to read the flashing sequence but I'm thinking it was 2 seperate codes, rollover sensor and fuel pump circuit malfunctions because they were the only sequences close to what I observed. Weirdly both problems should result in a bike that cranks but won't run, according to the manual. Unplugged the connectors and plugged them in again and the light has gone out and it idles nicely again. I'll see what happens on my way to work tomorrow.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Otto_Ing

Reply #529 on: January 23, 2017, 06:37:38 am
Interesting stuff. I knew Hitchcocks sold a thinner base gasket that would give the same net effect to a lesser degree, but I can see how reworking the barrel would allow you better control of the situation

The barrel had to be reworked because even without a base gasket it would be still bit too long.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #530 on: January 23, 2017, 03:46:14 pm
Will that barrel mod be unnecessary with the Fireball head?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Otto_Ing

Reply #531 on: January 23, 2017, 03:55:39 pm
Will that barrel mod be unnecessary with the Fireball head?

I am already shortening a new barrel which I will use with the Fireball head, I would say it's necessary to achieve the correct squish and compression - ACE will sure confirm this. It's been done on MeVoCGT's bike as well at Cycles of Silver Spring. They can perform this mod.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:03:37 pm by oTTo »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #532 on: January 23, 2017, 07:12:13 pm
They're my guys. There are about noon on the Beltway. I'm about 9 o'clock. I'll call tomorrow. Raining like a faucet today, and they're closed Mondays.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Otto_Ing

Reply #533 on: January 23, 2017, 08:11:51 pm
And here we go! In a world where the only loyalty one experiences is to money and power, this is an exceptional place to be.....glad I've found it!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:15:57 pm by oTTo »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #534 on: January 23, 2017, 11:32:20 pm
I am already shortening a new barrel which I will use with the Fireball head, I would say it's necessary to achieve the correct squish and compression - ACE will sure confirm this. It's been done on MeVoCGT's bike as well at Cycles of Silver Spring. They can perform this mod.
Confirmed.

And here we go! In a world where the only loyalty one experiences is to money and power, this is an exceptional place to be.....glad I've found it!
I will pick up the pushrods tomorrow at the Post Office.
Will ship your package this week when I go in to work on the afternoon shift. Probably Wednesday or Thursday.  I have to check the schedule when I go in tomorrow.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #535 on: January 24, 2017, 03:36:37 pm
Confirmed.
I will pick up the pushrods tomorrow at the Post Office.
Will ship your package this week when I go in to work on the afternoon shift. Probably Wednesday or Thursday.  I have to check the schedule when I go in tomorrow.

That sounds great. Time to start thinking of a name for the fireballing thread.  :)

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #536 on: January 24, 2017, 03:59:45 pm
How about "pass the penicillin, I've got fireballs" ????...????...????

NURSE!  ELEVATE ME!!
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Otto_Ing

Reply #537 on: January 24, 2017, 04:14:33 pm
How about "pass the penicillin, I've got fireballs" ????...????...????

NURSE!  ELEVATE ME!!

Many balls are on fire just now, considering what was going on the last couple of years.  ;)

I consider this project to be a ball calming one.  ;D

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #538 on: January 26, 2017, 08:57:20 pm
The next time has come. Went to take the bike out last night, no tail light. Fitted L.E.D. bulb.

After trying a few different L.E.D. bulbs I went back to a conventional bulb. This was because each L.E.D. bulb that I tried, there wasn't enough difference in brightness levels between the tail lamp and the stop light. After blowing a few more bulbs ( 4500rpm = blown bulb) I decided that there had to be a better way. So, I recently bought an e-marked L.E.D. tail light assy (connected it to a battery, much greater difference in brightness levels).  I am going to take the pcb from this and fit it inside the RE light unit.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #539 on: February 01, 2017, 03:39:00 am
We dropped new cams with longer duration in my bike, and fixed the oil leaks per Ace's advice.....