Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 391154 times)

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #900 on: January 29, 2019, 11:09:50 am
I can't imagine it works any differently either way. I'd love to know why, if it does.

The only reason I can think of is weight. Keeping the tighter windings at the bottom, lowers where the weight is. Assuming the spring is the same thickness?
2018 535 Continental GT
2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000s DS
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
early US import Kawasaki z550LTD (Bobber)
1984 Honda VF500FII
1995 Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (XPA police bike version)

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #901 on: January 29, 2019, 12:13:14 pm
To my way of thinking it's about "unsprung" weight. The tightly wound end of the spring is heavier than the other end so I would expect it to be at the top. Interesting that the manual says the other way. Not being Jorge Lorenzo I doubt that I'd notice any difference so I'll put it back as it was.

I removed the right leg today and drained out the oil. It was dirtier than the oil from the left leg (same quantity) but far from the worst I've ever seen. Hopefully I'll find an hour or so to put it all back together over the next few days.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:29:00 pm by KC1961 »

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #902 on: February 04, 2019, 04:56:14 pm
I went shopping again. Collared by 2 old men and had an enjoyable time talking bikes. Plus a lady who informed me her son had an Enfield that she thought bigger than mine and he always wore the T-shirt.

On the return journey the bike started to idle erratically. When I got home I had a quick look suspecting the throttle body screw had come loose again. All was good but I did see part of the inlet gasket hanging out. When I touched it it fell out. I'm wondering if this is the cause of the poor fuel consumption and bluing of the pipes. I wish Saltire had put it on a gas analyser when it was serviced, rather than saying they'd have to hire in RE kit.  I also checked the air-filter, super clean and fitted correctly and order some bits so as to fabricate a "big gulp" with a velocity stack.

I'd also bought a 6 wire "Hitachi plug" and wired up a cheap Chinese  LED rear lamp. I didn't want to cut the original plug or loom.  I wanted one that would fit snugly in the cut out on my dual seat cowl. It fitted and looked nice but was such a poor light I binned it and have ordered a Lucas 525. Fingers crossed it will fit and give better illumination.
2018 535 Continental GT
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
1984 Honda VF500FII

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #903 on: February 12, 2019, 08:22:33 pm
Over the weekend I made an alloy number plate mounting to fit my "Classic" but illegal  black number plate. wired up and fitted mini indicators and a lucas 525 rear lamp mounted in the hump of my rear seat. I also added an alloy phone holder. It worked really well and allowed me to check my speedo against the gps. It reads 4mph fast at 50 and 60 mph. What I liked about it is you can lift and swivel it, and it locks in to place. Undo the side screw fit your phone and when you swivel it back it rests over the top yoke and stops the screw undoing.

I fitted, a Wind-shield, a Puig 0869N. It looks like a givi A210 but less than half the price (less than $40 delivered). It's for bikes with 8" headlamps and though it would have fitted I'd have had to put the bars back on top in their original setting. Rather than do that. I extended the headlamp mounts and fitted it directly to the headlamp mounting bolts. No drilling of the wind-shield required. I like the look from the back and the front, but the side view looks mismatched. The chrome, silver and black don't quite look as I'd like. Either I need to spray the original headlamp bucket black, or the brackets. Maybe both.  Or replace with some after market versions. I really did like how well it worked for so such a small wind-shield.

The draft excluder I'd ordered arrived and after stealing a long bolt out of my bed frame! fitted my home-made big gulp (a modified SU air filter).  It looks and sounded great but like the straight through silencer (contradiction there somewhere) it will have to come off until the carb arrives. The reason for my blue exhaust was no doubt due to the failed throttle body gasket. It was noticeable that the blueing occurred after long motorway runs. I suspect the cruising at 60 on light throttle exasperated it. Currently it has fire cement sealing the joint and it's running better than it ever has (in it's admittedly short life). I gave the bike a quick run up the road though and it made a noticeable difference.

I was dithering between a EJK and the Mkuni TM34. I never heard back from EJK as to if it would be OK for my Euro4 CGT .  Then a TM34 came up that was half the price I was quoted for in the UK,  even after $51 import duty.   Using this forum to search for details has been great.  I've got Aces fireball setup as a base for jetting. I've ordered main and pilot and a P4 needle jet. I've also ordered a old bullet throttle cable and a fuel tap, but I'll have to fabricate the plate for it to mount on. Lets hope they all arrive and it works well. I'm a bit worried about it, it was a bit of an impulse buy and pulling all the bits together is a pain.  I also saw Hitchcocks have a Mikuni VM kit for the Euro4 CGT and it has dummy plugs? How dummy are they? are there resistors in them or some such, do I need the O2 Sensor Eliminator I read conflicting info on that.

When and if the carb all works. I shall look into a cam kit. Probably Hitchcock's unless anyone knows of a better option, maybe their valve kit. I'll wait and see if I can afford an ACE head first. No point in getting a new valve set then changing the head.

Other little jobs in the pipe are make a plate for under the rear seat now I've removed the mudguard. smaller sportier front mudguard, remount the rear indicators to the pannier mountings on the frame under the seat. They appear to be M7 threads? M6 and M8 don't fit.  Measure the throttle stud spacing so I can order the correct size throttle flange and spacer. Get the warranty  work done. Yes The Warranty claim that has been accepted includes: Swingarm bushes, top yolk chrome nut, rear shock absorber & Exhaust guard. I'm also waiting on conformation that of the leaking throttle body gasket will be replaced under warranty.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:25:08 pm by kelsoo »
2018 535 Continental GT
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
1984 Honda VF500FII

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #904 on: February 13, 2019, 01:26:07 am
Good work but now your bed is going to squeak  ;D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #905 on: February 13, 2019, 08:01:39 am
TM34 - totally open source and won't violate your privacy.  :)

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #906 on: February 13, 2019, 08:40:56 am
Good work but now your bed is going to squeak  ;D

Don't worry a replacement bolt for the bed was found.  :) I just needed a really long bolt to prove what I thought would work actually would work. I'd cut the hole in the back plate and fitted the draft sealing,  tapped the securing bar and was desperate to see if it would actually fit. Bed bolt to the rescue!  8) 

TM34 - totally open source and won't violate your privacy.  :)

lol. Yes :-) ignition timing is on my mind  ;D
2018 535 Continental GT
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
1984 Honda VF500FII

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #907 on: February 13, 2019, 04:51:30 pm

lol. Yes :-) ignition timing is on my mind  ;D

...now that stock timing is not perfect but good enough for most anything you may land up doing to that engine.

EDIT: The SU filter looks kinda cool on there.  8)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:31:51 pm by oTTo »

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #908 on: February 16, 2019, 11:40:58 am
A few days ago I removed the rear wheel and then the tyre. Yesterday I fitted a new tyre. This  morning, I refitted the wheel, it was much more awkward/difficult than I remember it being the last time. It must be the worst setup of any of the bikes that I ever had. Ducati 916 the easiest!

Rusted535

• Scooter
Reply #909 on: February 16, 2019, 01:36:06 pm
Well a few days ago I fitted new bar-end mirrors. Getting the stock bar end weights out was not fun. One of them would not loosen so I had to pull/drive it out with a hammer and punch. Very nervous swinging a hammer near my brand new GT! But I got it done. They look great but I've yet to test them in traffic because of a flat front tire, from the dealer!!
It was flat when I bought it. They said they would fix it before I took it home. When I picked it up it looked and rode great. A few days later and it's lost 10psi. They obviously just pumped it up and never checked for a leak. So I'm putting in a new tube today. To be fair this is a multi line dealer and not exclusive Royal Enfield shop so I feel they just don't care much about the cheaper Indian made bikes. I will never use that shop again. Anyway, I'm also doing my 300 mile run-in oil change today so I'll be set for next week. As soon as the rain stops lol

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #910 on: February 16, 2019, 05:41:26 pm
Where are you located and what shop did you buy your 535 gt from?

Rusted535

• Scooter
Reply #911 on: February 17, 2019, 02:29:22 am
I'm in North Carolina. I bought mine at Team Powersports of Raleigh. The sales staff was great but I feel the service department was lacking. Of course this is just my opinion.

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #912 on: February 19, 2019, 09:23:36 pm
Today I fitted the leaking throttle body gasket and O rings. Unfortunately the dealer sent the wrong size O rings even though I specifically told them they maybe larger. No doubt ones for a bullet . At least the old ones fitted and seem to be working fine.
I also made up a "belly pan" for the bottom of the wind shield to hide the chrome of the lamp. A bit of aluminium from an old caravan I'd "skinned" when it was scrapped. Sprayed it black and I much prefer the lines of  the bike now when viewed from the side.

The Mikuni TM34 arrived the same day as the 185 main jet and needle jet. Waiting on the and pilot jet and flange. FIXED: I ordered a VM32 -200 flange because the VM34-200 was not stocked and had no spigot size listed. Apart from that the only difference was the bore. VM34 has a bore of 36mm the VM32 35.5mm spigot spacing of 75mm as to 60mm.  I'd miss read. the VM34-200 is the correct flange. I was sent a VM32-454 by mistake and was just about to complain and noticed my own mistake.  :-[

Thinking of fuelling I saw a good video of a complete efi kit. It was on a Kawasaki twin but there is 2 kits for small engines. There's also a video of it on a DR650 iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=NYsP2JYXbGs

If someone's feeling brave https://www.ecotrons.com/small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/
added: After a quick look I think the only difference is the throttle body size. 28mm or 38mm
https://www.ecotrons.com/small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/400cc_to_800cc_engine_fuel_injection_kit/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:41:57 pm by kelsoo »
2018 535 Continental GT
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
1984 Honda VF500FII

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #913 on: February 21, 2019, 08:37:03 pm
I had a weird one today. Started my bike and went to drop into gear. Bike lurched and started started moving like the clutch wasn't disengaged properly. Then, because the clutch was dragging,  I couldn't pop it back into neutral. Switched the engine off and gear pedal still felt stiff and didn't want to come out of gear without some rocking back and forth. Once back in neutral and started up again, everything went back to normal. How weird?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #914 on: March 23, 2019, 02:25:47 am
I ended up replacing the original battery in my 2014 GT. Went with the Batteries Plus Duracell maintenance-free battery. Found it odd that the battery is offered with the Positive post on the left and right hand side of the battery. Left hand side is made in Mexico and the right hand side is made in the Good Ole USA. Battery comes with a two-year warranty. Was hoping to get a lighter lithium battery option but for the life of me I can't seem to Source out a good match. The Duracell battery, $119 out the door.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon