Author Topic: Electronic Ignition not working...sort of. Help the Porkchop!  (Read 4107 times)

Porkchop

• Scooter
Hello Boys,
Here's the trouble: Turn the key- lights come on and everything looks normal. Hit the ignition switch to the 'On' position, push the button and hear a 'click' coming from the battery. Not a constant click. Just once with each press of the button. Nothing happens.
When I use the kickstart to cycle the engine a few times (while holding the decomp switch down) then I try the electronic ignition button, it fires right up.
Am I looking at a dead battery?
Thanks guys. -Porkchop

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 06:54:22 pm
What do you mean when you say you hit the 'electronic ignition button"?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:02:46 pm
Kevin,
It's the button you press to start the bike. There is the large red button that you switch 'on' and then below that is the thumb button that you press to start the bike. I suppose it's called the ignition button...

Sorry, I'm not looking at a manual , havent' picked it up yet, so I don't have the official wording for these parts.

Thanks - Porkchop

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:08:18 pm
That particular button actuates the Electric Starter motor. Your symptoms may be consistent with a bad Starter relay or solenoid. Found in the left hand tool box.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:12:46 pm
Is this common? I only have 1k miles on it. I assume that if it is one of those things that the warranty should cover it. It's pretty frustrating to have this happen so soon in the life of the bike. Thanks for your help- PC

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 07:19:13 pm
First thing I'd do is to check the battery terminals and clean them anyway, even if they look good.
This type of behavior is very common with some corrosion in the battery terminals, causing poor electricity transfer to the starter.
Even if they look good, the corrosion could be limited to just between the terminals and the connections, and you might not see it without taking them off. Once they're off, you should clean them anyway with a little bit of wire brushing.

If that's not the problem, then you can look further, but corroded terminals or a low battery could cause the problem.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:35:30 pm
This is not an uncommon occurance
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:43:27 pm
Just went out, checked and cleaned all the connections. No corrosion on any connections apparent, but I cleaned them anyway. Still no joy. I'm headed to the battery shop to have them test the batt. (dealership where I got the bike said the batt. was new). Who knows, perhaps just a bad batt) If that's not it, I'll have to assume its the starter or solenoid.
By the way, it's an 07 Military. New from the dealership.
Thanks for the input, guys! I'll report back in when I get back from the batt shop.

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:11:34 pm
Battery checked out ok on all points at the Batt. shop. Full charge.
So now I'll have to assume its starter or solenoid. I'll bring it into the shop tomorrow to have them take a look-see. I'll report in once I get back from the shop.
Thanks -PC

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:06:10 pm
This is not an uncommon occurance.

Corrosion build-up? Or the starter or solenoid dying?

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 09:41:47 pm
At the risk of sounding like a stodgy old curmudgeon and inveterate Luddite, I'll say this.

A Royal Enfield should be kick-started, in the manner in which God and the Queen intended.

Their emissary, the great Joseph Lucas(Prince of Darkness) warned us about the use of such gadgets of the electrical nature.
It is at our own peril that we dabble with the use of such evil devices as a "thumb starter", when the correct implement is readily available within easy reach of our right foot.

;)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Prairie Hunter

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 10:19:45 pm
I've run into something like that with mine ('08 Iron Head).  If the bike's cold, the electric start won't do anything unless the motor's at TDC (based on ammeter deflection).  I just figures it was "one of those little quirks"......
2008 Classic Bullet ES "Bettie"
2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
REA Member #13

Billy B.

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 10:43:43 pm
 I have had that same issue with mine. If it is not at or past TDC the starter wont work. No clicks or ticks, nothing ! I thought it might be a "big single" electric start thing. ( I understood  that some of the old Honda FT500's would kick back and eat starter gears frquently. ) Single cylinder engines of any size can generate serious kickback !
 Granted, I try not to use the button very much. A testosterone thing I guess. But it would be nice to know if this is this a malfunction or by design ?

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 10:55:28 pm
I used to have a lot of probs with my ES. The final solution was the sealed battery. I had replaced the battery last year and it still didn't work properly.

Just because the battery checks out doesn't mean that it isn't part of the problem.

When you cleaned the connections did you get the ground connection behind the battery box?
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 02:45:02 pm

When you cleaned the connections did you get the ground connection behind the battery box?
[/quote]

Yes, I made sure to get the ground connection cleaned as well. Still nothing.
I also wanted to double check what the Admin meant by 'not an uncommon occurance'  did you mean corrosion build-up or the starter or solenoid dying?