Author Topic: O2 sensor eliminator.  (Read 75864 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: February 06, 2016, 12:17:28 am
Yes, that's largely what I have found, although I'm observing the air:fuel ratio using the O2 sensor instead.

Apart from the more stable idle, I cannot reliably tell whether the O2 sensor is connected or not in normal riding.  I don't trust subjective judgements, but with that caveat I feel confident that there is no radical difference in performance or behaviour.  This is a good thing - it means we can be confident Keihin did a good job on the default map.

There are some measurable differences, though.  The most obvious is the idle: on the default (open-loop) map it is richer, suggesting that the closed-loop idle is weaker than the engine really needs. 

I've also noticed that the light throttle cruising when open loop is slightly weaker than when the O2 sensor is plugged in.  This is to be expected because light cruising is one of the conditions where stoichiometric mixture is required for the cat to work.  If it weren't for emission control, a weak mixture at light cruising is better because it improves fuel economy.

Yeah... I hear ya.  That is what you would expect. And you are probably seeing it a bit more precisely with your data logger as compared to a sniffer.    BTW, there is a part number on your ECU .  There should be a colored DOT next to it.   What color is yours ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #91 on: February 06, 2016, 11:08:23 am
And you are probably seeing it a bit more precisely with your data logger as compared to a sniffer.

Yeah, possibly, although as you know the main problem with using a narrowband O2 sensor like on our Bullets is it only really says "spot on", "too rich" and "too weak".  It won't cover a range of air:fuel ratios like a sniffer will.  Perhaps you can advise me on a better way of monitoring the mixture.  Are miniature sniffers available?  Something I could fasten to my tailpipe more or less permanently?

When the weather is a bit better I'll be doing a big push on the data logging project, and will report back my findings.

BTW, there is a part number on your ECU .  There should be a colored DOT next to it.   What color is yours ?

I'll have a look this afternoon and get back to you.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: February 06, 2016, 04:55:20 pm
  Perhaps you can advise me on a better way of monitoring the mixture.  Are miniature sniffers available?  Something I could fasten to my tailpipe more or less permanently?

No, not really.   But if you look on the net some guys have rigged up some interesting configurations at the end of their tail pipes.  And of course, there are a multitude of  wide band/ AFR gauges  combo's available.   They are a bit pricey though.  You would also have to enlarge the threaded bung hole on the header to 18 mm .  The narrow band sensors use a 14 mm... same thread pitch as your spark plug BTW.    The only reason Shawn is not using his wide band hook up on his Dyno, is because of that.  The header could easily be modified.... but it's not his bike to do so .

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #93 on: February 07, 2016, 07:50:40 am
there are a multitude of  wide band/ AFR gauges  combo's available.   They are a bit pricey though.

In addition to needing a larger bung-hole, the wideband units want to be at least 24 inches away from the exhaust valve. .....    I bought an OEM headpipe from CMW's special sale to modify for "test" and "tuning" of Mjolnir.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: February 07, 2016, 06:36:52 pm
  Ummmm ?    Location...Location...Location..

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: February 07, 2016, 07:26:27 pm
  Ummmm ?    Location...Location...Location..

I'm looking at immediately after inside the second bend aligned with the shape of the drop.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: February 07, 2016, 07:27:48 pm
I got mine on yesterday and did a short ride. It seemed to clean up the low rpm to something smoother. Most of the time the idle dropped to 1000 rpm and then died. At the end of my little ride, I pulled into the driveway and let it idle. It didn't stall out. I want to raise the idle screw a little bit then take a ride of decent length.
  I live in the burbs with lots of stop signs and lights, pain in the butt. Today is 40. This next week will be colder. I'm grateful my GT is running without any thing major going bad.
  I have a Carpy header, but I'll wait for decent weather before I pull the stocker and replace it.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #97 on: March 20, 2016, 04:58:04 am
Sorry about the thread bump. Lately I haven't been able to contribute to the forum due to some issue I had. Just wanted to provide my take on things with this O2 sensor eliminator.

Bought this recently and I must say it does make a positive difference:

- The hunting/surging has gone completely.

- There was a dead spot in the throttle sometimes just at the initial flick of the wrist. If you twisted the throttle at the right/slow speed initially, it would want to die if you didn't let go off the throttle or twisted it further. This would rarely happen since I have gone past the break-in period for a while now  :P This dead spot no longer exists and the initial flick of the wrist has crisp response  :o

- Whilst taking a corner/turning with constant throttle input, the bike would kind of 'shudder' and would exhibit intermittent loss of power, and show a sudden jump in power whilst accelerating out of the corner. Nothing to do with the side-stand switch. This behaviour has completely disappeared and the throttle input is very smooth throughout the rev range, and especially whilst in the corner at constant throttle.

- I was able to lower the idle RPM to a very relaxed thump, no surging and/or hunting. It's a constant thump. I haven't been able to record the RPM but it is just a tad lower or about the same as https://youtu.be/ltkJRE5GLbY?t=12s

Maybe ContiGT owners can give this a try first instead of opting for the PCV to see if it aids them with their initial start up/idling/stalling issues.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:02:16 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #98 on: March 20, 2016, 06:13:56 pm
What about sta- bil?  Is it the same?

I've not used it so therefore have no earthly clue.

Seafoam I have and do use so can comment on it. Dosing every other tank or two radically reduces carbon deposition in my carbed bikes compared to the same bikes before. 
 A cautionary note. If you do a Seafoam de coke be prepared to be startled by the amount of removed carbon that may billow from the tail pipe during the cleaning process it's un nerving the first time you see it. Save yourself a blood pressure spike and do it after dark.
I believe Redex is the U.K. equivalent.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:47:34 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: March 21, 2016, 02:58:34 am
I think JVS is spot-on here.  I have a 2014 C5 with factory air and EFI Classic Silencer form out host.  I removed the O2 sensor and installed the O2 eliminator a little over a month ago and have a few runs on it.  So far, I'm happy I removed the O2 sensor.

I didn't have a "hunting" idle, but did have a weird flat/dead spot in the rev range, especially in the middle RPM range and a occasional stall when not up to operating temp that is now gone.  My bike also seems to have a more crisp and even throttle response throughout the rev range. 

I'll take it out for a longer run and take some pic of the spark plug.

So far, so good. 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: March 21, 2016, 12:41:59 pm
...... Perhaps you can advise me on a better way of monitoring the mixture.  Are miniature sniffers available? ......

http://www.wide-band.com/

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: March 22, 2016, 03:35:09 am
http://www.wide-band.com/

Highly interested in this.
 The dyno operators within driving distance of me turn their nose up at carbs and only want to play rock star with EFI bikes. Could be a very useful additional/advanced tuning tool for me. What is your opinion of it ?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: March 22, 2016, 12:22:40 pm
it works.

the sensor is larger than the stock O2 sensor -and- must be situated at least 24 inches away from the exhaust valve.  Also, it cannot point straight up (heat capture).

Here's a pic of where I mounted the sensor .....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: March 22, 2016, 08:59:39 pm
Ordered one, should be here in time to play with over Easter if the weather holds.

I'm running stock exhaust and air filter but hope for similar results that JVS, pmanaz1973 and Guaire experienced.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: March 22, 2016, 09:08:17 pm
Thanks Gremlin !

BTW what do you use for a blanking plug when the sensor is not installed ?