Author Topic: What happened to my kickstart??  (Read 3763 times)

strat71

• Grease Monkey
on: January 10, 2016, 03:43:23 am
hi,
today i parked my bike and as usual put it on the TDC position...
went to lunch and when i came back and tried to start the engine, the kickstart turned freely without engaging the engine...

i thought the kickstart was broken... i used the electric start and came back home...

but when i tried again the kickstart, it worked as usual...

is it a normal thing that can occur?? or is it a first sign of failure??? i noticed sometime that the kick loose a few sproket teeths...

Ben

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:02:53 am
The veedol in the gearbox must be stiff, the kickstart pawl retracted, and the thick veedol stuck the pawl in that position so it did not engage the ratchet. Or, the pawl spring is getting weak, and the spring has difficulty overcoming the sticky veedol.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:52:42 am
If is chatters or misses when kickstarting the pawl could be chipped in the middle. Really common. We sell a better one made of scintered iron.

Or could be exactly what is described below. i would really recomend filling the tranny with ATF and ride the hell out of it to get it good and hot. Then let it drain overnight. I would then refill it with the synthetic grease we sell or that you can find elsewhere. If you have ever taken as  older one apart you will find the grease hardened on the sides of the transmission. Synthetic doesn't do that.

Some like to use 90wt oil in their box, but I am not among them. It can make a mess. Sure you can change bearings so sealed bearings, but that sounds like work to me. 
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 06:15:24 am
my gearbox is a 5 speed...  i think i read somewhere the 5 speed gearboxes are not filled with grease but with oil??

anyway, it's 13 years old but has only 2OOkm...
i don't know if the lubricant's been changed or not... i planed to change all the fluids within 100km...

so if i understand well, it could be:
a) old grease - can be cured by changing the lubricant (your method above)
b) pawl problem - should open the gearbox to fit a better pawl..

Ben

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 03:48:15 pm
The 5 speeds were 'upgraded' to use gearbox oil, so more than likely it will be a pawl/spring issue
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:48:32 pm
I think the decompressor was hung up a little. That would cause the symptom you posted.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:25:40 pm
I think the decompressor was hung up a little. That would cause the symptom you posted.
i don't think so, i know my decompressor, i'm used to the breath sound when the decompressor is open... the kickstart was free from any friction and no sound at all...

moreover, i already noticed some small misses when kickstarting..  look like i'll have to change the pawl...

is it a complex operation?? will have to make my homework..
Ben

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 07:44:56 pm
It's fairly straightforward. Get yourself the correct manual and it eliminates any guess work. Even if everything looks o.k. once you're in there, for all the cost, stick in a new pawl mechanism for piece of mind. :)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 12:45:46 am
If it were mine, the first thing I would check is the oil level in the transmission.

With only 200 km on the clock the pawl shouldn't be too badly worn but it is possible that the lube has drained out over the past 13 years.
Even if the oil level is OK, I would change it to some new oil and do a bit of riding and kickstarting to see if the pawl loosens up and starts working like it should.

If I had a couple of repeats with the kickstarter not engaging, then I would give some serious thought to removing the transmission sidecover to find out what is going on in there.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:44:13 pm
Arizoni,
sounds like a good advice, i'll do that...
i checked the level of oil, looks ok...
what oil is the 5 speed gear box supposed to get??
Ben

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 12:24:08 am
Your clutch may have slipped for a moment.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 02:29:41 am
ordered the improved pawl, waiting for it.

but today i experienced same thing, and realized i press the clutch handle before kicking... it may be what happens the first time... i did not realized i could do that... hi hi...
feel stupid...
anyway, each day i learn more about my bike... good news.. hi hi... i'll have a spare improved pawl for when it'll start to fail for good... ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 06:09:19 pm
Kicking the kickstarter with the clutch pulled in is a good way to break loose the clutch plates after the motorcycle has sit overnight but it doesn't start the engine very well.  ;D ::)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 07:41:38 pm
can't argue!! i feel so stupid... hi hi