Author Topic: Which Mikuni carb for 2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe?  (Read 4232 times)

Thomas_ATL

• Scooter
on: January 05, 2016, 07:35:15 pm
I'm replacing my carb on 2006 500cc Bullet Deluxe. (I'm not interested in rebuilding current carb.) I'm going with a Mikuni carb, but don't know whether to get 30mm, 32mm or 34mm version. Which should I go with?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 07:43:02 pm
I'd recommend the TM32. Lots of folks using it here and can help out. You'll need a new inlet manifold and all the rubber bits. Ace can supply the inlet and you supply the radiator hose.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:52:16 pm
I'm replacing my carb on 2006 500cc Bullet Deluxe. (I'm not interested in rebuilding current carb.) I'm going with a Mikuni carb, but don't know whether to get 30mm, 32mm or 34mm version. Which should I go with?

What mods are done to the engine ?

Have you considered a flat slide ?
 http://www.classicmotorworks.com/30mm-flat-slide-carburetor/
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:30:33 pm
I've had excellent results with the Mikuni TM36-31 pumper carb (and a little bit of minor porting on the head). It needs a bit of work to fit, though! 

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Thomas_ATL

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 12:01:58 am
Stock engine -- no modifications.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 05:36:19 am
When my AVL500 was stock, the first mod I had was a VM34, it made quite a difference. It was cheap, durable, still running like a hot cake and gives decent MPG/Power/Acceleration when compared with the sloppy BS29 carb. 36mm is really hot for Enfields and that's what I am chasing for now but a 34 round slide can be pretty good. TM32's are a little more aggressive on the other end. I Adrian can tell you more, he's used a wide range of carbs ranging from 32 to 36mm I think.

Includes the Dellortos ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:35:17 am
With a stock engine, the valve gear limit is 5800 rpm, so there is little point in going bigger than a TM32.  But a TM34 has the same body and mount, if you want to eventually rev higher.
The 32 retains better low rpm torque.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:29:44 am
Stock engine -- no modifications.

Forgive me if you know this already and please disregard if you do.
There will be some loss of lower end torque and throttle response with the larger carbs unless the engine is modded to match. If mods are part of your plan I'd like to suggest waiting till then to jump carb sizes carbs by any more than a couple few mm's.

Your original post mentions not wanting to rebuild the current carb.
FWIW 30mm was the most popular venturi diameter on the forum for modded bikes during the Iron Barrels hey day here. The best example I know of is the Harris Scrambler with the AVL engine. Free flow air filter and exhaust, 8.5 to 1 compression ratio and Redditch S cams.

I'd like to suggest hanging onto your lower half torque and throttle response by not going bigger than 32mm. If it were me, 30.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

dustystranger

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 11:17:09 pm
A different carb will be just that.  Unless you plan to rev your motor out, you are going to gain nothing except a lighter wallet.  Rebuild your carb?  How many miles on your bike?  Like I said, unless you plan on racing, you are about to join the ranks of thousands who spent money on a mod that only can claim to be "different" not better.