Author Topic: Bar End Mirrors  (Read 16390 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:40 pm
Well it turns out that the Online store did not get updated to indicate that these mirrors only fit the Classic models - so I am sending them back. CMW has now updated the Web description:

"...Bullet only.  The dampening weights in the Electra prohibit installation of these mirrors, and can not be readily removed."

I'm back to square one!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 08:29:44 pm
They would fit my Electra. I changed the handlebars to the early hi-rise. Much better riding position. They are only about a 4" rise versus 1 to 2 on the original ones, but what a difference. Much more comfortable, and no hokey plugs in the ends. Now that the bike is run in, the vibration isn't much to worry about anyway. By the way, I didn't feel any difference in vibration at all with the different bars.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 03:58:49 pm
I agree about the lollypop mirrors. I have always loved bar-end mirrors and have been considering ordering a set from Bobs BMW vintage catalog. They have the bar-ends with the turn signal on them. Not sure if they'll work but man are they stylin' :)
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:10 am
I have the chrome bar end mirrors and like them. However, from a parctical standpoint, anyone who wants the best mirrirs should stay with the stock "bug ears" They look stupid but work great.

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 12:21:53 pm
Matt,

Which ones did you get? mine worked great out of the box (with the stock bars), I had to fiddle a couple of times with the angle of the mirror assembly (loosen the end bolt and move the assembly up or down) to get the right angle but my mirrors are showing the road between me quite well. Admittedly the adjustment options with the mirrors themselves are limited but I found that changing the mounting angle made all the difference.
Bill

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 04:41:07 pm
I got the 20034 model, there must be a slight difference.

Bill

P.S. You have the solo seat don't you? what have you done to cover up the electrics? (See my post on Electrics Cover)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 04:56:47 pm
I got the 20034 model, there must be a slight difference.

Bill

P.S. You have the solo seat don't you? what have you done to cover up the electrics? (See my post on Electrics Cover)

Yes, I saw your post, but couldn't offer anything that you haven't figured out already.

I was originally considering fabricating a cover (top and sides), but am now considering  a different approach as part of my efforts to simplify the bike. I'll likely buy the airbox for the new AVL Classic and utilize it for the electrics under the seat and those over and around the battery.

Matt

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 07:24:50 pm
How will that work? are you going to move the electrics? It sounds like we are on the same tack as far as what we eventually want our bikes to look like.
Bill

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 07:32:28 pm
How will that work? are you going to move the electrics? It sounds like we are on the same tack as far as what we eventually want our bikes to look like.
Bill

Bill,

If I go through with it (and I likely will), I'll be ditching the stock sidecovers completely. I'd move all the electrics I could over into the Classic airbox (or some other box unit)  on the right hand side. The goal would be to have a box on the right with a size that corresponds to the battery on the left in order to simplify the silhouette. Then I'd keep my tools in the stiff-leather cylindrical RE tool roll attached to the solo saddle and resting on the rear fender.

Matt

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 04:00:56 am
Have you replaced the air filter yet? I am curious what that will do to the profile and I will probably wait to address the side covers then. I think the air filter, carbs and exhaust will be a winter project for me. I want to get better used to the bike prior to making anything but cosmetic changes to it.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 05:51:08 pm
Have you replaced the air filter yet?

Yes, I put on an Amal and K&N-like filter.

See:

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/PerfUpgrade.htm

Matt

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 04:27:36 pm
Yep, the side cover will have to go to get a cleaner look for me.

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 05:05:21 am
What modification do I need to do so the Bar End mirror doesn't rub he throttle grip?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 02:36:01 pm
When I installed mine I was careful not to seat it touching the throttle. Tightening securely I've have had no problem.

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 02:46:27 pm
My stock RE throttle grip extends about 3/4" past the end of the handlebar so the mirror tightens up against the grip. Is there a way around this?