Author Topic: Bar End Mirrors  (Read 16414 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: August 12, 2007, 02:21:14 pm
Has anyone fitted bar ends onto your Electra X? What do you think of them?

I'm looking at these:

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/mirror-black-chrome-p-258.html

Matt

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:36:57 pm
I have had bar end mirrors before, and the work well - you see less of you, and more of what is behind you. The disadvantage is that it widens the bike and makes getting it into garages or sheds a bit harder.  The look is pretty good, but old time bikers don't seem to like 'em much. My Bullet had the bar end mirrors when I bought it, and the dealer took them off saying it looked stupid.. (I didn't have any say in the matter)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 04:40:29 pm
The English importer, Watsonian-Squire, makes circular bar-end mirrors that look pretty nice. You can see one on a red Electra at this page:

http://royal-enfield.com/handlebar.htm

Jeff

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 04:22:22 pm
I'd suggest Napolean bar ends over the ones in the RE catalog.  They're about 2x as costly, but I think they're far superior, having had both types in the past.  The Naploeans have rubber inserts that expand as you tighten the setting bolt, rather than the metal thingy that the RE bits have, you can see them on my Bonneville and Diane's military in the photo gallery HERE.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 05:26:54 pm by Thumper »

deejay

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:12:51 am
I have the ones from CMW in chrome. They work great for me, look good, plus you can't beat the price. I only put the left side on, although I should probably put both on for safety.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 04:26:20 am
I put bar-ends on almost every bike I get. My RE has one, it is a little hard to adjust just right but I can see behind me with it. If you prefer the round mirrors, Capital Cycle BMW has them. If you want a smaller mirror, try the bicycle mirrors found at any bicycle shop. They are made of cheap plastic, but look pretty cool on a bike and are usually under 6-7 dollars each. Happy thumpin', Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:27:48 pm
I have the ones from CMW in chrome. They work great for me, look good, plus you can't beat the price. I only put the left side on, although I should probably put both on for safety.

Definitely unsafe with all that extra weight on the left. One could even say you're unbalanced!  ;)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 10:36:33 pm
I've thought of these mirroes, but the parts guy at the dealership says they have almost the same ones in stock. Still don't know if I'll like they way they look, but they couldn't be any worst than the insect antenna mirrors that come stock.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 12:52:54 am
insect antenna mirrors

U meaN 2 sAy you don"t thinK they look like Mickey Mouse Ears ;D

gapl53

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 02:17:03 pm
If you drive fast enough, there is no need to look behind you!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 04:24:41 pm

I decided on the CMW mirrors and just went to install them. They don't fit. The Electra's handlebars are plugged, so there is nowhere to insert the expandable gripper mechanism.

The description in the online store does not specify or differentiate between Classic and Electra so I'm not sure what's going on.

I sent an email to CMW and will post back what I find out.

Bummer.

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 08:25:07 pm
Likely, you'll have to take off the handlebar weights (the plugs) to put the mirrors on. The weights are there to render some control over the vibration normal to the large, single cylinder engine....
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

deejay

Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 01:09:21 am
The bars are different on the electra? odd

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 02:47:10 am
f you drive fast enough, there is no need to look behind you!

not htat it matters NEway since everthing b hind u is fuZZ in the mirrors :P

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:40 pm
Well it turns out that the Online store did not get updated to indicate that these mirrors only fit the Classic models - so I am sending them back. CMW has now updated the Web description:

"...Bullet only.  The dampening weights in the Electra prohibit installation of these mirrors, and can not be readily removed."

I'm back to square one!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 08:29:44 pm
They would fit my Electra. I changed the handlebars to the early hi-rise. Much better riding position. They are only about a 4" rise versus 1 to 2 on the original ones, but what a difference. Much more comfortable, and no hokey plugs in the ends. Now that the bike is run in, the vibration isn't much to worry about anyway. By the way, I didn't feel any difference in vibration at all with the different bars.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 03:58:49 pm
I agree about the lollypop mirrors. I have always loved bar-end mirrors and have been considering ordering a set from Bobs BMW vintage catalog. They have the bar-ends with the turn signal on them. Not sure if they'll work but man are they stylin' :)
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:10 am
I have the chrome bar end mirrors and like them. However, from a parctical standpoint, anyone who wants the best mirrirs should stay with the stock "bug ears" They look stupid but work great.

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 12:21:53 pm
Matt,

Which ones did you get? mine worked great out of the box (with the stock bars), I had to fiddle a couple of times with the angle of the mirror assembly (loosen the end bolt and move the assembly up or down) to get the right angle but my mirrors are showing the road between me quite well. Admittedly the adjustment options with the mirrors themselves are limited but I found that changing the mounting angle made all the difference.
Bill

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 04:41:07 pm
I got the 20034 model, there must be a slight difference.

Bill

P.S. You have the solo seat don't you? what have you done to cover up the electrics? (See my post on Electrics Cover)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 04:56:47 pm
I got the 20034 model, there must be a slight difference.

Bill

P.S. You have the solo seat don't you? what have you done to cover up the electrics? (See my post on Electrics Cover)

Yes, I saw your post, but couldn't offer anything that you haven't figured out already.

I was originally considering fabricating a cover (top and sides), but am now considering  a different approach as part of my efforts to simplify the bike. I'll likely buy the airbox for the new AVL Classic and utilize it for the electrics under the seat and those over and around the battery.

Matt

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 07:24:50 pm
How will that work? are you going to move the electrics? It sounds like we are on the same tack as far as what we eventually want our bikes to look like.
Bill

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 07:32:28 pm
How will that work? are you going to move the electrics? It sounds like we are on the same tack as far as what we eventually want our bikes to look like.
Bill

Bill,

If I go through with it (and I likely will), I'll be ditching the stock sidecovers completely. I'd move all the electrics I could over into the Classic airbox (or some other box unit)  on the right hand side. The goal would be to have a box on the right with a size that corresponds to the battery on the left in order to simplify the silhouette. Then I'd keep my tools in the stiff-leather cylindrical RE tool roll attached to the solo saddle and resting on the rear fender.

Matt

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 04:00:56 am
Have you replaced the air filter yet? I am curious what that will do to the profile and I will probably wait to address the side covers then. I think the air filter, carbs and exhaust will be a winter project for me. I want to get better used to the bike prior to making anything but cosmetic changes to it.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 05:51:08 pm
Have you replaced the air filter yet?

Yes, I put on an Amal and K&N-like filter.

See:

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/PerfUpgrade.htm

Matt

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 04:27:36 pm
Yep, the side cover will have to go to get a cleaner look for me.

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 05:05:21 am
What modification do I need to do so the Bar End mirror doesn't rub he throttle grip?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 02:36:01 pm
When I installed mine I was careful not to seat it touching the throttle. Tightening securely I've have had no problem.

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 02:46:27 pm
My stock RE throttle grip extends about 3/4" past the end of the handlebar so the mirror tightens up against the grip. Is there a way around this?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 04:17:40 pm
My stock RE throttle grip extends about 3/4" past the end of the handlebar so the mirror tightens up against the grip. Is there a way around this?

Chris,

My stock throttle grip ends about 1/16" before the end of the bar.

What kind of bike do you have?

What kind of bar end mirrors are you putting on?

Did your bar have end-weights that needed to be removed?

When you open the throttle housing, is there a stud or screw that fits into a hole drilled inside the handle bar? Is there a hole drilled into the handle bar?

I'm trying to understand if your set-up is by design or if, for example, the throttle housing has been mounted further outward than normal. (If there is a hole in the underside of the hbar and there is a stud or screw in the housing then where is the position of the end of the throttle when they are aligned with each other...)

Matt

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 05:02:28 pm

What kind of bike do you have? 2003 500 Classic

What kind of bar end mirrors are you putting on? Napoleon Brand

Did your bar have end-weights that needed to be removed? No

When you open the throttle housing, is there a stud or screw that fits into a hole drilled inside the handle bar? Is there a hole drilled into the handle bar?  I drilled a hole in the end of the grip. The handlebar is open on the end. I'm not sure how to check the throttle housing.

I'm trying to understand if your set-up is by design or if, for example, the throttle housing has been mounted further outward than normal. (If there is a hole in the underside of the hbar and there is a stud or screw in the housing then where is the position of the end of the throttle when they are aligned with each other...) I'll check on this.Thanks Matt.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 05:10:58 pm
Chris,

Check the throttle housing by unscrewing the two halves - usually just two screws. Sometimes a third smaller screw takes the place of a stud.

You might post this over in the Classic area since our bars (like the Electra X) can be different.

Matt

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 05:27:16 pm
Ah shoot, I was using the search and didn't pay attention which forum I was in. Thanks!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 09:21:16 pm
Well, I just put on bar end mirrors yesterday.  Like them a lot.

I got the clearance on my throttle by using a small file (pocket knife) on the inside of the plastic making a bevel.   Also I put lock tite on the attachment bolts but neglected to put it on the set screws that hold the mirrors to the frame.  Now I will be going to look for a replacement 3" mirror insert as I lost one last night.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

shrugger

• Chinese symbols for "Serenity"
  • Scooter
Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 06:44:10 pm
I had the same problem with the tube being more than 1/2" from the end of the
throttle grip. No matter what I did. If it was tight enough to hold the mirror it would
bind the throttle.
So what I did was cut off the plastic pin, wrap a single layer of duct tape around
the bar to secure the switch module. Them moved everything up so I had about 1/16"
of the bar sticking out past the grip. Works great. No bind.  ;)
2008 Bullet 500 Classic AVL

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 03:39:35 am
Well, I just put on bar end mirrors yesterday.  Like them a lot.

I got the clearance on my throttle by using a small file (pocket knife) on the inside of the plastic making a bevel.   Also I put lock tite on the attachment bolts but neglected to put it on the set screws that hold the mirrors to the frame.  Now I will be going to look for a replacement 3" mirror insert as I lost one last night.

Update:  Went to the local craft store and purchase 4 Replacement 3" mirrors for $2.26,  of course they are not convex,  you would think crafty type people would use convex mirrors.

I put the mirror in the end of my bar to were it was only binding the throttle just a little and the used the stalk as a guide for my little knife and twisted the throttle cutting the offending plastic.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 08:21:00 pm
Matt,

I have a chrome air box that you can have if you'd like it.

Mike

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 10:50:28 pm
Matt,

I have a chrome air box that you can have if you'd like it.

Mike

Mike,

That would be great.

I'll email you.

Matt

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 01:55:33 pm
maybe I missed a comment about this somewhere but...   how did you guys deal with the end of the grip itself?  Did you use an exacto knife to cut it or some other method?  I think my throttle is very close to the end of the bar so binding shouldnt be a problem (i hope) ha.   Thanks for any advice.

I have a bullet 500 2008 and got the chrome barends from the enfield online store
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 06:30:58 am
I had to trim off the excess rubber from the handgrip to allow the throttle to rotate smoothly.  I just cored out the inside until the mount would just slide into the end of the handlebar.  Hope this helps.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 10:32:27 pm
It's always nice to see who is going to run you over.  :(