Author Topic: Wrong side of the pond  (Read 8749 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #30 on: December 24, 2015, 01:42:35 pm
my small coastal Maine town
Our local clothing store retails The Maine New England clothes range. I didn't realize that there were two Maine New England's. The clothes are  made in the Chinese one. ;)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 02:01:15 pm
Our local clothing store retails The Maine New England clothes range. I didn't realize that there were two Maine New England's. The clothes are  made in the Chinese one. ;)

Never heard of it.  Wait a minute... "marketing?"

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 02:14:37 pm
Never heard of it.  Wait a minute... "marketing?"
Yes, you got it. Their jacket range goes well with my Braemaster boots.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 10:33:43 pm
I almost bought some "Amish" furniture, that said "Made in China" on a sticker. I didn't even know the Amish had a community there either.

PS that place didn't last long as it was in Amish country in Indiana. Laughed out of business is a hard way to go. 

2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #34 on: December 25, 2015, 12:45:09 pm
But Handsome Dick is a great DJ.

http://youtu.be/RWDt-tqQshs
Also a great front man for the Dictators. " next big thing" etc.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 25, 2015, 02:35:04 pm
Yup. I catch his XM/cirius show almost daily.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 04:45:42 pm
One of the things which I have taken notice about, regarding some of the internet critics which I have encountered, is a strong sentiment that there should be no measuring equipment used in performance prepping a vintage single. it seems that the prevailing sentiment with these types is that the intake and exhaust flow rates should never be subjected to a flow bench, and that compression gauges are extraneous because we should never actually know what the cylinder pressures are. Presumably, these instruments impart a sort of "evil spirit" into the engine which will render it incapable of performing as desired.

Instead, the "conventional wisdom" appears to be that there is a "black art" to cylinder head preparation, and only grand viziers of this black art are capable of performing the work, which generally seems to consist of drilling a staight channel down the intake, of as large a proportion as humanly possible, and calling it good.
The only thing which is permitted to be known about cylinder pressures is that a very high compression piston should be fitted, regardless of what fuel will be used, or what the cam timing is. It is in the purview of the "grand vizier" of the black art to determine by osmosis what should be done. Under no circumstances may measuring equipment be used.

My initial thoughts on this subject is that the "grand viziers" don't know how to use these pieces of measuring equiipment, and that the use of such might expose the limitations of their time-honored guesswork which was carried on from the earliest days of motoring, prior to the period of the great enlightenment.
 ;D 8).

Tongue firmly in cheek, of course.
 ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 04:48:37 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #37 on: December 25, 2015, 09:13:51 pm
One of the things which I have taken notice about, regarding some of the internet critics which I have encountered, is a strong sentiment that there should be no measuring equipment used in performance prepping a vintage single. it seems that the prevailing sentiment with these types is that the intake and exhaust flow rates should never be subjected to a flow bench, and that compression gauges are extraneous because we should never actually know what the cylinder pressures are. Presumably, these instruments impart a sort of "evil spirit" into the engine which will render it incapable of performing as desired.

Instead, the "conventional wisdom" appears to be that there is a "black art" to cylinder head preparation, and only grand viziers of this black art are capable of performing the work, which generally seems to consist of drilling a staight channel down the intake, of as large a proportion as humanly possible, and calling it good.
The only thing which is permitted to be known about cylinder pressures is that a very high compression piston should be fitted, regardless of what fuel will be used, or what the cam timing is. It is in the purview of the "grand vizier" of the black art to determine by osmosis what should be done. Under no circumstances may measuring equipment be used.

My initial thoughts on this subject is that the "grand viziers" don't know how to use these pieces of measuring equiipment, and that the use of such might expose the limitations of their time-honored guesswork which was carried on from the earliest days of motoring, prior to the period of the great enlightenment.
 ;D 8).

Tongue firmly in cheek, of course.
 ;)

You are making a simple problem overcomplicated,the people you refer to are not wizard's, they are "fannies" ( possibly a different meaning in Scots ). And they don't have measuring equipment because they are too mean to buy it.
A compression gauge, to me is an integral part of my service kit as are verniers, and internal and external micrometers. I've had them since the 1970's look after them, and calibrate them regularly. The fannie, sees these items as an unnecessary expense, but still want to borrow them even though they don't know how to read them. Dr Gordon Blair did a lot of two stroke development at Queens University Belfast and it is available for those who want to use it, but like factory manuals, this information is ignored by the fannie, because they see referring to it as an insult on their manhood. There are a lot of good guy's out there, most of them very humble who just get on with it. My most memorable experience as a spectator, was seeing Team Obsolete for the first time, which just showed the gap between old school and the new. I see they own the Arter G 50 Matchless now. Peter Williams could beat Kawasaki threes, and keep up the arse of Agostini's MV on this thing, a very humble man and a genius, both as a rider and engineer. These are the people who often are forgotten because they don't make enough noise. ;)
Merry Christmas by the way, and as far as the fannies/wizard's go, f@$k them.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 25, 2015, 09:17:53 pm
"I have been the subject of quite a bit of criticism from both sides of the pond, apparently because I came in fairly late to the party, and brought in some non-traditional ways of thinking as far as vintage designs go."
   Imagine the heresy of seeing a head as a flow!!! And then God made electronic ignition. If you gave me a Brit bike without it, that would be the first thing I would change. Then, I would change a few more things. Eventually I would end up with a Continental GT. Instead I just bought one. On top of that, I can get parts.
  I thought of a BSA of some kind, but parts are easier to get and cheaper in the UK and I don't live there. I like having a current machine with a spare parts supply line. Call me quirky.
  Malky - My 'local' back in CA had Theakston's, both in best bitter and the 'Old Peculiar'.  I miss them.
  Farmer John - Yes, it's an ale.

I started riding in the late 60s. But, I can get over my head. Fortunately, I'm on good terms with parts guys and techs at a good dealership locally. There is help when I get over my head. Fairly often on this forum I get 'wowwed' by the expertise and knowledge of the guys here. Handy and fun.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #39 on: December 25, 2015, 09:42:08 pm
. I like having a current machine with a spare parts supply line. Call me quirky.

My sentiments exactly. I missed the motorcycle magazine issue with the free rose tinted spectacles. My biggest crime to date was to put a disc brake on a BSA Super Rocket. I apologised profusely to the complainer, and assured him on receipt of his payment, the offending modifications would be rectified with immediate effect, accompanied by photographic evidence, and the extraneous parts would be gifted to a charity of his choice.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #40 on: December 25, 2015, 10:32:37 pm
You are making a simple problem overcomplicated,the people you refer to are not wizard's, they are "fannies" ( possibly a different meaning in Scots ).

Yeah, "fanny" has a different meaning in different parts of the world.

A friend was going to spend time learning Scots Gaelic from some "old" women on Skye - after crossing the UK by bus, they asked her how trip was.  She replied, "Fine, but my fanny is very sore."  Well, wasn't that a scandal... at least until the confusion about anatomy was sorted...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #41 on: December 26, 2015, 02:04:56 am
You are making a simple problem overcomplicated,the people you refer to are not wizard's, they are "fannies" ( possibly a different meaning in Scots ). And they don't have measuring equipment because they are too mean to buy it.
A compression gauge, to me is an integral part of my service kit as are verniers, and internal and external micrometers. I've had them since the 1970's look after them, and calibrate them regularly. The fannie, sees these items as an unnecessary expense, but still want to borrow them even though they don't know how to read them. Dr Gordon Blair did a lot of two stroke development at Queens University Belfast and it is available for those who want to use it, but like factory manuals, this information is ignored by the fannie, because they see referring to it as an insult on their manhood. There are a lot of good guy's out there, most of them very humble who just get on with it. My most memorable experience as a spectator, was seeing Team Obsolete for the first time, which just showed the gap between old school and the new. I see they own the Arter G 50 Matchless now. Peter Williams could beat Kawasaki threes, and keep up the arse of Agostini's MV on this thing, a very humble man and a genius, both as a rider and engineer. These are the people who often are forgotten because they don't make enough noise. ;)
Merry Christmas by the way, and as far as the fannies/wizard's go, f@$k them.
Ah yes, Team Obsolete.
We ran our Fireball along with their team at the Mid-Ohio Vintage Classic races a couple of years ago with the Badger. Nice guys! We met most of them personally, and particularly enjoyed some time with Dave Roper, who was the only American ever to win the Manx TT. I think it was during the 1980s. He told us that he would ride for us if we ever wanted to start up a racing team. I just don't have the financing to be able to do that. I would love to go to the IOM with a race team one day.
Home of the Fireball 535 !