Author Topic: Wrong side of the pond  (Read 8773 times)

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
on: December 22, 2015, 08:17:30 pm
Wow. I Entered a forum that I thought would help increase my Enfield and mechanics savy. Instead I found myself reading posts slamming things by people who I'm sure didn't have have the technical knowledge to back up. The anti Yankee sentiment was hard to miss. I was a bit taken aback by it. And I view myself more as an Italian from Melrose (the folks from Chicago will understand) than I do a Yank. Oh well,I guess I'm just from the wrong side of the pond. It's ok though, I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks too!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:19:48 pm by solg »
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:15:35 pm
What forum?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:26:37 pm
What forum?
You beat me to it.
Sometimes cultural differences in banter can be misunderstood, some people might be "yanking your chain" without you knowing. If we're talking about British based fora here, a good introductory question for me would be "what's your favorite real ale?" If you get more than ten replies, walk away. ;) That's why I came here. :) There are no Enfield gods, only enthusiastic disciples.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:32:44 pm
I have nothing to contribute to this discussion. But it does offer me an opportunity to ask a question. How am I to know where ANYONE is located? I've tried clicking on user names to view profiles, but very few forum participants show their location.
Updated, thanks for the reminder.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:40:13 pm
I have nothing to contribute to this discussion. But it does offer me an opportunity to ask a question. How am I to know where ANYONE is located? I've tried clicking on user names to view profiles, but very few forum participants show their location.

Possibly in this paranoid day and age people are wary about revealing too much about themselves in a public forum, whether that's about Big Brother  (though as we're all constantly tracked and monitored that might be a bit pointless), or about bad guys looking for the location of bikes to steal.

There is no wrong side of the pond, bad attitudes and anti [some other nationality] comments are common everywhere (all generalizations are the same). As a Brit who has been made welcome on this forum I apologise if my contrymen elsewhere have been unkind, especially if I was one of them!

a good introductory question for me would be "what's your favorite real ale?" If you get more than ten replies, walk away.

/deletes list while whistling loudly...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 11:46:26 pm
while its true you can't tell where anyone is from on the internet it is reasonable to assume  these comments are coming from the other side of the pond,
"The hype that goes with the people on the other side of the pond is hard to take by many over here. The truth is we have yet to see this turned into real horsepower." or

"How can this guy in the USA, (the most litiginous society in the world) make these claims and not be called out on them. "
Although there were some comments countering the above points of view and yes I will admit its possible i may have misunderstood these comments.Ive never left a forum feeling like I was the wrong place like I did today.
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 11:56:22 pm
 Maybe I need to remember its a big world out there and not be so thin skinned when it comes to finding contradictory comments to the things that I find cool & bitchin.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 01:37:12 am
Solg - I joined a BSA group on Facebook. It was pretty good. Lots of pictures. I didn't know, but it was located in England. Fine by me. There was lot's of love for the old marque. Then I got flamed for saying the A65 in the Triumph oil in frame was higher because of the frame. When I posted a pic of an A65 that I had shot at a rally here in Virginia, I was told 'no American BSAs' It came out of the factory in Small Heath???!!!! That was it for me. I resigned.
  Here there's a common point of view. We're all thumping along, except for a privileged few on Chumma's v twins.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 02:04:05 am
You're not being thin skinned, you've being realistic, would you go to a bar where you felt uncomfortable ?. I wouldn't. Let these people steep in their own narrow mindedness. They treat people from their own shores the same. I am constantly reminded by classic bike owners, that I run around on a bucket of scrap. So some Enfield owner's over here have a serious chip on their shoulders, and often forget that their "classics" are now made in India. Enjoy your bike the way you want to, there's enough knowledgeable folk on this forum to help you along the way. It's certainly been a help to me.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:23:24 am

/deletes list while whistling loudly...

A.
Banter with no offense intended. It's just that I find it highly amusing that there is a biking fraternity who will get almost orgasmic about a pint of Bishops Bell End and then complain about the price of a spark plug. In the interests of cross cultural education do these people exist world wide. By the way, my all time favorite comedian is/was Bill Hicks, am I now barred?

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 05:10:48 am

Without a doubt, the best ale from those little islands that gave up on what was once the greatest motorcycle empire in the world.

At least the Damned are still playing.  Hey, Y'all had to get something right.

How's that?  Did I get us even?  Can't we all just get along?
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 07:55:30 am
Ahh, but how much would you pay for a spark plug? :) ;D
PS. Saw the Damnned at Stirling University in 1977. + 90% of my music collection comes out of Detroit.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:02:43 am by malky »

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 09:16:42 am
I would imagine an American tourist would find some aspects of the English diet somewhat disturbing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:24:40 am by malky »

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 11:12:58 am
...there is a biking fraternity who will get almost orgasmic about a pint of Bishops Bell End...

Umm... that's not really an ale, is it?

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 11:32:56 am
Umm... that's not really an ale, is it?
It's a cocktail of these two.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream