Author Topic: Mjolnir ..... A 2011 B5 project  (Read 50413 times)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #150 on: July 16, 2018, 04:20:49 pm
turbosam -- its been a crooked road but I'm closing in on a final "Taser" solution (eg, yesterday I ordered a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 which I should have done two months ago instead of failing to make my own equivalent).  I estimated the maximum coil current in this post: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,26002.0.html  I plan on measuring the actual current this week.  Hopefully my estimate is correct or else I buy and mount a bigger DC-to-DC convertor...just another bend in the road.

I am using the RE coil with an NGK BPR6ES (7131) spark plug and an MSD wire and boot.  I'll keep stock gap at first and then open it to GHG's 0.035.

WRT to boosting voltage, I think Gremlin's 16V is correct because the ECU is still switching the coil current and higher voltage means higher wattage so 15% over maximum battery voltage seems safe.

WRT to "Taser" reliability, I'm including a DPDT bypass switch to return to stock connectivity.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #151 on: July 17, 2018, 09:21:50 am
Wow. Went from 2016 to 2018. Most of the discussion seemed to be centered around the fuel injection. I have to wonder why you didn't go with a carb conversion instead. Mine works great. Much better than the stock EFI.

On a couple of other forums I belong to, everything is modern and EFI. The more computers the better. I figured RE enthusiasts would be more carburetor friendly. It seems strange to buy a copy of a VERY vintage bike, then stick modern computer stuff on it. The UCE Enfields only came with EFI because of the EPA. Otherwise they would still have carburetors.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #152 on: July 17, 2018, 09:35:56 am
how are you -suitcasejefferson its been a while

turbosam

• Scooter
Reply #153 on: July 25, 2018, 08:07:48 am
Wow. Went from 2016 to 2018. Most of the discussion seemed to be centered around the fuel injection. I have to wonder why you didn't go with a carb conversion instead. Mine works great. Much better than the stock EFI.

On a couple of other forums I belong to, everything is modern and EFI. The more computers the better. I figured RE enthusiasts would be more carburetor friendly. It seems strange to buy a copy of a VERY vintage bike, then stick modern computer stuff on it. The UCE Enfields only came with EFI because of the EPA. Otherwise they would still have carburetors.

Bulls eye ..!
Only concern is , now my bike has open loop EFI .
Experienced indian workshop guys have difference of opinion about the carb conversion .
Some suggest just replace the fueling part with the carburettor and you are sorted.you can have simplicity of carb and refinement of  256+ point ignition points as per load, speed and temperature ...From ECU

Some say just replacing the fueling system with carb , causes problems in the long run ..
they recommend replacing harness, stator,rotor,trigger wheel , alternator,CDi ,coil --- in short fit the entire carb bike setup ....thats expensive, labour extensive ..and will have only two ignition curves.

and i don't know the real answer ..
We are living in such a world where,artificial lemon is used in a welcome drink:and Real lemon is used in the  finger bowl.!!!

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #154 on: July 25, 2018, 05:22:07 pm
My old school dragster friends are carb guys but they love their trouble-free EFI tow trucks.  The younger crowd is more electronics-oriented so EFI is more common.  And road course guys are almost all EFI with a MAF, just like my track Mustang.  Reliable and flexible.

Like most of us, my training and experiences lead in preferred directions.  For me that's electronics and closed-loop systems.  I have difficulty comprehending mechanical and hydraulic systems.  For example, I can tune a suspension but a 4-link diagram baffles me.

I keep returning to Scotty Brown's "canvas".  If you're a carb guy, then the RE's great fun to play with.  If you're an EFI guy, then the RE's great fun to play with.  If you're an all-around guy like GHG, then the RE's great fun to play with.  And this forum is a wonderful place to learn and share.  Thank you CMW.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod