Author Topic: Watsonian on 2015 C5???  (Read 3828 times)

mc35803

• Bulleteer
on: December 03, 2015, 02:47:50 pm
Does anyone have any experience with adding a Watsonian to a C5.  Other than costing more than the bike are there pitfalls to avoid.  I love the look and interior widths as they seem to offer more room than the Cozy and Inder. 
Miles

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 06:43:09 pm
Watsonian are an old established firm and they used to be the U.K. Royal Enfield importer, so they know the bikes. I've spent a bit of time studying the Cozy and it would be my choice but that's a matter of taste. The other option you have is buying second hand. Some of Watsonians sidecars aren't bike specific so if you located a second-hand one, before you buy it contact Watsonian to see if there is a fitting kit and instructions available for your bike. I got an obsolete sidecar and they were very helpful and able to supply most of the parts. For the parts that weren't available they gave me copies of the original plans, so I was able to fabricate my own. One other thing worth mentioning is allow for a set of heavier springs for the rear shocks on the bike. It does make a big difference to the handling when laden. I don't know where about in the world you are, but in the U.K. when you fit a side car it changes the taxation class of the vehicle and the registration documents have to be changed etc, so it would be worthwhile finding what your local bureaucrats require before you decide to buy.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:35:32 pm
Thank you so much.  I am in the U.S. where Watsonians are scarce. I like the style of the Cozy but the Watsonians offer a wider tub. They are however more than twice the cost of the Cozy and that is a huge factor.  I am on my second Ural and the Cozy tubs in comparison seem very um....Cozy.
Miles

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:21:17 am
Watsonian have a US website listing the sidecars, parts and a PDF file with fitting instructions:

http://www.watsoniansquireusa.com

Hope this helps.

John

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:08:50 pm
I love it! The "How It's Made" video shows the hack going on a Royal Enfield C5.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 03:00:16 am
Very cool.  I had not seen that video before......the rig looks awesome.  Many thanks.
Miles